Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Macworld 08 / new Mac Mini

Macworld 08 / new Mac Mini
evoLver
Dec 16, 2007, 08:52 PM

I am about to get a Mac Mini. Might there be a new one announced in January? I had read here there is word the unit might be cancelled. Is there any new information or educated guesses? If it was cancelled would the announcement make it easier or harder to obtain a last gen model?
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

Cold Warrior
Dec 16, 2007, 09:26 PM

No new info on whether it'll get cancelled. Also, I haven't seen anything about an updated model. If it's cancelled, it should still be easy to find one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2007, 09:35 PM

Unlikely... probably 3-4 months away from an update. It's certainly possible that Apple will cancel the Mac mini in the future and come out with a new consumer headless Mac. Last gen models should be easy to get regardless of cancellation.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2007, 06:55 AM

There will either be a new Mac mini or it will be canned by March 2008 because after that Intel will stop selling the Calistoga C2Ds (the CPUs for the 667 MHz FSB) the mini is currently using. Of course Apple can buy CPUs in advance and store them, but that doesn't seem very likely in the case of this low margin box. If they keep it expect Crestline C2Ds. If they can it, I seriously hope they will replace it with a HEM.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a Mac mini refresh at MWSF though. There's enough more important Mac updates for that event.

evoLver  (op)
Dec 17, 2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks! Do you think the upgarde will be significant? I see mduell predicts a 2.4. I am looking at the lowest end model for cash flow reasons. There's really nothing new that they could do to it other than a slight percentage increase in power , right? (I am purchasing for intensive audio purposes, currently using a 1.5 Powerbook.)
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
There will either be a new Mac mini or it will be canned by March 2008 because after that Intel will stop selling the Calistoga C2Ds (the CPUs for the 667 MHz FSB) the mini is currently using.
Intel ARK says T7400 (2.16Ghz) has guaranteed 5+ year availability (although only with GME965, not GM945), so they could just do another minor bump and let it sit there for a while. Although if they're going to make the jump to GME965 then they'll probably go to T7500 (2.2Ghz, also 5+ year availability) too.

Originally Posted by evoLver View Post
Thanks! Do you think the upgarde will be significant? I see mduell predicts a 2.4. I am looking at the lowest end model for cash flow reasons. There's really nothing new that they could do to it other than a slight percentage increase in power , right? (I am purchasing for intensive audio purposes, currently using a 1.5 Powerbook.)
I doubt the upgrade will/would be particularly notable; I'd guess 2.0 or 2.2 for the new low end. No change in power consumption.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 07:14 PM

Yes, the next revision of the Mac Mini will be announced in Jan or Feb and will have the revised Santa Rosa chipset with the 2.2 to 2.8 gHz Penryn processors (core 2 duo, 6 mb L2-cache, 1333 fsb, 4 gb RAM, x3100 gpu @ 128mb VRAM from sysRAM), a 3.5" internal hard drive and a hybrid Blu Ray/HD-DVD player/DVD/CD burner, HDMI and mini-DVI ports, optical digital/analog audio in and out, FW S3200/800/400, eSATA, USB2, Bluetooth, 802.11n and Gigabit ethernet. All for $699 to $899, depending on configuration.

Ok, so that's all a bunch of BS. But I'd sure like to see it.
( Last edited by Cave Man; Dec 17, 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Forgot eSATA!)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
HDMI and mini-DVI ports
Two HDMI would be just as good; there's no advantage to miniDVI over HDMI.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by evoLver View Post
Thanks! Do you think the upgarde will be significant?
No. In terms of CPU power (Merom 2.2 GHz will be the max) it certainly won't be. GPU-wise the very best to expect would be a GMA X3100 which is better than the current 950 but still far from exciting. I you need a mini now, you might as well get it now. If you want to wait for three months you can do that too, but very likely it won't buy you much more than the feeling of getting the latest. The mini is the $599 Mac. Obviously its specs are always going to be at the lowest end. Not much to get excited about in any case.

But as I already said, the current mini with its type of CPU will be EOL'ed by the end of March. There's no doubt. That OTOH does not mean it will be replaced by something that performs a lot better though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2007, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
Yes, the next revision of the Mac Mini will be announced in Jan or Feb and will have...
*snip*
...Ok, so that's all a bunch of BS.
I find it amusing to see somebody start off a post as if it were certain what the update would be and then end up by basically saying they made up a whole bunch of stuff that makes no sense.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 10:50 AM

I find it amusing to see somebody start off a post as if it were certain what the update would be and then end up by basically saying they made up a whole bunch of stuff that makes no sense.
Glad I could amuse you this morning.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2007, 06:33 PM

But as I already said, the current mini with its type of CPU will be EOL'ed by the end of March.
As I just noted a few posts up, only the speed (1.83/2.0Ghz) will EOL in March; the type will continue to be available for at least 3 more years at 2.16Ghz.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 04:18 AM

Sure, but that's not really the point. What's important is that by March Apple will have to update the current mini. Maybe it'll be just a speed bump by ~200 MHz, maybe more. No matter what they do, the current mini will last no longer than March. People who want a mini but don't want the current model for whatever reason will have to wait no longer than March to see what changes Apple will make.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:53 PM

Intel may elect to continue producing the 2Ghz/667Mhz C2D parts. AMD isn't putting any pressure on them and Dell/HP have a number of Calistoga laptops in that speed range.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 03:59 AM

Intel has no special reason to do that. Apple has no special reason to keep the mini where it is now for much longer. Especially when it is actually cheaper to buy Crestline than Calistoga. Anyway, believe what you want. My prediction stands: Sometime in Spring we'll get a Mac mini update. I have no doubt about that.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 09:58 AM

The talk about HDMI ports above got me thinking...

Doesn't it seem likely that the mini will get fused with the Apple TV line?

As it is, a lot of people looking at the AppleTV are opting for the mini instead, so it seems natural to join the two into a single product line?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 10:17 AM

I'd like that. Give the mini component and HDMI output and there you go. Supply the Apple TV UI as a replacement of Front Row.

People could even add cheap TV tuners through USB. OTOH, how many people want to spend $599 on a souped up Apple TV? I have this feeling that it would be a great deal for mini buyers and a pretty bad deal for Apple TV buyers. That said, it would be a graceful way of killing the Apple TV while offering a functionally equivalent alternative. The question is if Apple really wants to to push the mini. Do they even want t keep it around for much longer?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 02:00 PM

Apple is going to continue pushing the Apple TV.

And it's going to work, once they offer seamless content acquisition through iTunes - worldwide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules