Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 2005 WWDC stream crashes QT Player

2005 WWDC stream crashes QT Player
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 12:59 AM

I wanted to sit down tonight and watch the keynote, but every time I try and launch it (save one, see below) it crashes QT player in exactly the same spot. Anyone else seeing this? It's merely seconds into the stream, and there's a hiccup, and then QT crashes.

I trashed prefs, logged out and back in, restarted — all to no avail. I logged in with another admin account, and on the first try there it appeared to work. Not only did it play smoothly past the "crash point" I was seeing elsewhere, the player automatically resized to a decent size and looked really clean. I paused it, FUS back to my main account, no dice, back to the test account, hit play, and it freaked out there too. Now both accounts are behaving exactly the same.

(Edit: I'm running 10.4.1 and QT 7.0.1.)
( Last edited by beverson; Jun 7, 2005 at 01:00 AM. Reason: addendum)

beverson  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 01:06 AM

Found it:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Evidently, when it defaults to the smaller size, it craps out. If you pick a fast connection speed in the QT prefs in System Prefs (I picked Internet/LAN), it plays the bigger one and works better — crisp video and no crashing, though it's a bit out of sync.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 01:57 AM

You also have to remember that there has been a high server load all day due to the Mac zealots watching it and bawling in buckets.

bseely
Jun 7, 2005, 07:00 PM

Happens to me as well - on two different machines. If I select an internet speed that ends up choosing the 110k movie, it crashes a few seconds in. If I have a speed that ends up selecting the 350k movie, no problem.

I haven't tried any speeds that result in lower than 110, though...-

Forum Links
Forum Rules