Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't print mulitpage PDF: help!!!

Can't print mulitpage PDF: help!!!
kman42
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 06:21 PM

I saved a Canvas document that spans multiple printer pages as a PDF and opened it in Acrobat (5.0 and 5.1) and tried to print. I can either print the whole thing on one page (it scales it) or print one page of the whole thing (unscaled), but I can't print the whole document at it's native size. I get the same result opening it in Preview.

The document is 66x40 inches. Any ideas or workarounds?

thanks,
kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 02:42 PM

I would really appreciate if someone could try this out for me so that I can troubleshoot the problem.

Basically, I created a Canvas document with dimensions of 66 x 40 inches and then saved it as Acrobat PDF. It opens fine in Acrobat and Preview, but will only print scaled to a single page or it only prints one page of the whole document at the large scale.

thanks,
kman

Cincinnatus
Dec 11, 2002, 04:24 PM

kman42,

I might be able to try this later on today (11-Dec), but I am curious as to the details of your system. Could you provide details as to the version of Canvas, version of the OS and model of printer?

I only have Canvas 7, so I'd only be able to test this from classic to X.2 (as opposed to generating the PDF from Canvas in X.2). I do, however, have access to three different printers (two inkjet and one laser)...FWIW.

cheers,
/cincinnatus

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Cincinnatus:
kman42,

I might be able to try this later on today (11-Dec), but I am curious as to the details of your system. Could you provide details as to the version of Canvas, version of the OS and model of printer?

I only have Canvas 7, so I'd only be able to test this from classic to X.2 (as opposed to generating the PDF from Canvas in X.2). I do, however, have access to three different printers (two inkjet and one laser)...FWIW.

cheers,
/cincinnatus
I'm using Canvas 8 on 10.2.2. I've tried it from an iBook and a PMG4/1.25x2, printing to an HP Color 4500 and an HP 4000M.

I just used a Save as... from Canvas and selected Acrobat PDF. I don't actually think it is a problem with Canvas, but a problem with printing large PDFs as I've had similar trouble with large maps in PDF format.

kman

Cincinnatus
Dec 11, 2002, 05:03 PM

kman,

Are you expecting the output to be tiled across multiple (letter, legal, A4) pages?

/cincinnatus

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Cincinnatus:
kman,

Are you expecting the output to be tiled across multiple (letter, legal, A4) pages?

/cincinnatus
Yes, that is the hope. I am trying to make a poster to be printed at Kinkos, but I want to see it before I send it to them.

There is a checkbox in the Adobe Acrobat section of the Print dialog box that says "Shrink oversized pages to paper". If I select this, then it prints the whole thing on one page. If I don't select this, then it prints a single page of the 'unscaled' PDF right from the center of the PDF.

I don't see why it won't tile it across pages. The Layout section of the Print dialog box let's you choose whether it prints from left to right of top to bottom.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules