Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4 Auto-Updating Library

iTunes 4 Auto-Updating Library
S|ntax
Apr 30, 2003, 03:50 PM

I have 47gigs of mp3s sitting on a Windows 2000 Server. I add roughly an album or two a day. I would like it so that iTunes 4 on my TiBook will check to see if anything new has been added since it was last updated, maybe when i start up iTunes or something. Is this possible?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 04:09 PM

Maybe and Applescript of sometype to open server,check for new songs,add new songs to iTunes.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 04:58 PM

I would like something like this as well. On my setup, I have the music files themselves in a centralized location ... accessible from both my and my wife's accounts. My wife simply is not going to go and manually add new music files to her iTunes library ... so I just set things up so that we share the common library. If there was a way that we could have separate libraries (which would enable separe playlists, song ratings, sort orders, etc.) ... but share the same music files ... I for one would be a happy camper. Of course, in order for this to be usable, each library would have to automatically reflect any changes to the iTunes music folder.

OAW

S|ntax  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 05:32 PM

another thing that annoys me is that it takes atleast 2 hours to put my library into itunes. when i updated to 4 i wanted to start over so i cleaned everything out and re-adding it all. why does it take so long to read some id3 tags? 2+ hours is way too long.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by S|ntax:
another thing that annoys me is that it takes atleast 2 hours to put my library into itunes. when i updated to 4 i wanted to start over so i cleaned everything out and re-adding it all. why does it take so long to read some id3 tags? 2+ hours is way too long.
2hrs?!?! how many mp3's you got? I have about 8000 and it only takes a couple of minutes...

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

S|ntax  (op)
May 1, 2003, 09:57 AM

47gigs. is yours local or over a network?

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 11:15 AM

I'm disappointed that Apple didn't include better library management tools in iTunes 4 for those of us with one library and multiple accounts. I've tried a couple of scripts for this and haven't found anything satisfactory yet.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Nebrie
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by S|ntax:
47gigs. is yours local or over a network?
Transfering 47 gigs of anything over a network takes a lot of time.

S|ntax  (op)
May 1, 2003, 03:42 PM

i agree transferring 47gigs of data does take a long time but itunes is not moving or copying the data is it just reading the id3 tags. reading 47gigs worth of id3 tags should not take a long time.

Cincinnatus
May 1, 2003, 07:02 PM

Hmm - I have about 55GB on a SNAP! 4100. Occassionally I trash my library and rebuild from scratch (i.e. drag the top level MP3 folder from the NFS mounted server over the Library browser, drop and sit back). It takes some time, but definitely not over 2 hours. Out of curiosity, you do have the option to keep you iTunes library in synch turned off? If not, you'll duplicate all 47GB of MP3s - but I doubt thats the problem.

Are you running over at least a 100Mb network connection? Hmm...is the W2K host Samba mounted?

/Cincinnatus

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Cincinnatus:
Hmm - I have about 55GB on a SNAP! 4100. Occassionally I trash my library and rebuild from scratch (i.e. drag the top level MP3 folder from the NFS mounted server over the Library browser, drop and sit back). It takes some time, but definitely not over 2 hours. Out of curiosity, you do have the option to keep you iTunes library in synch turned off? If not, you'll duplicate all 47GB of MP3s - but I doubt thats the problem.
Could also be that sound check is turned on so its checking all of the files's sound levels while it is transferring.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

S|ntax  (op)
May 1, 2003, 11:34 PM

no sound check is not enabeled. and yes it is a fully switched 100b network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules