Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Are B&Ws quiet or noisy?

Are B&Ws quiet or noisy?
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 01:39 PM

I'm scouting around for a B&W G3 to run as a server. I've never used one myself, so I'm wondering how loud they are. I had a Gigabit G4, and it had quite a bit of fan noise. Are the B&Ws pretty comparable to that?

the weatherman
Jan 30, 2004, 03:59 PM

You can barely here it running.
Although mine is not so silent anymore, I added a fan after putting a G4 upgrade.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 07:39 PM

I consider mine to a bit noisy which is why I've yet to turn it into a server, either of the two rooms I could put it in would just annoy me. However, I'm not familiar with the noise a Gigabit G4 makes to compare it to.

What I plan to do later this year is upgrade to a faster PCI IDE card and a pair of drives raided in addition to the 3 existing drives. Also considering upgrade the processor to either a much faster G3 or more likely a G4, yet I don't want to overspend on this. But I also am considering knocking together a noise dampening box to put it in. I figure if it's big enough with some vents heat shouldn't be a problem and the noise could be reduced quite a bit. Maybe even buy a cheap fan to help vent.

Anyway, that's the plan. I may just get lazy and not bother!

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the replies.. Simon, what would you say the majority of your noise comes from? Most of the noise produced by the G4 I had came from the large internal fan, I think. Ever since I got the G5, I've been trying to keep things as quiet as possible in here, since I have a new found appreciation for quiet computing

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
I'm scouting around for a B&W G3 to run as a server. I've never used one myself, so I'm wondering how loud they are. I had a Gigabit G4, and it had quite a bit of fan noise. Are the B&Ws pretty comparable to that?
All of the noise on a B&W comes from the PSU fan and the main case fan. It is nowhere as loud as the the Gigabit G4's, but is is not totally silent either
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2004, 10:11 PM

I agree with bowwowman. It's not silent, but decidedly on the quiet side -- very quiet. It shouldn't bother you. On mine, in fact, the hard drives make more noise than the fans.

tooki

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 10:42 PM

Its not absolutely quiet but i don't find the sound to be annoying, its not a high whine or anything like the original MDD. Its not bad at all.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to be buying one personally for demo use at work. I'm going to propose an Xserve, but the network is completely PC based (Windows and SCO). I've been given an NFR copy of 10.3 server to play with and integrate into our network and see how it goes. After the demo is done, it'll retire to my home, so I want something I can live with

From what everyone is saying, it should be as quiet or quieter than the two servers I have running in here now.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 07:18 AM

The fans are the main cause of the noise I believe.

Put it this way, I never did mind the noise until I bought a TiBook which is much quieter, even though I have the "hair dryer" 1Ghz TiBook which can get fairly noisy when in full blast. But it's still quieter than the B&W which has probably made me sensitive to the noise. All in all it's not that bad thinking about it.

And don't forget- the B&W does not support deep sleep so the fans are always on even when it does go to sleep. Shouldn't be a problem if you want to use it as a server since you probably wouldn't want it to go to sleep.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 05:50 PM

I've got a B&W G3 @ 900MHz running as a server (with 10.3 Client) at the office.
In fact, its the source of my sig pictures and other images I may link in my posts.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 12:12 AM

I found this one on ebay, and did a buy it now. Hopefully it'll be good enough to do what we want it to do.

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Jason,

They are really really quiet. Compared to any PC or a G5 or even G4MDD, the B&W G3 is almost silent in comparison. I use mine as a server and it simply works. Have an amazing uptime.
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

Cincinnatus
Feb 2, 2004, 03:44 PM

If you are going to be running stock (i.e. no extra fans), the B&W is pretty quiet. It only has one fan, fixed speed, that runs in the power supply. The G3s used were pretty low heat dissipation, and Apple relied on convection cooling, only actively cooling the power supply. I have both a 350MHz B&W with an extra fan (blower) and a SP 1.8GHz G5 - and the G5, under average load, is quieter. If the B&W was stock, it would be about as load as the G5, but running it as a server (overclocked), and in a separate room, I run with the louder extra fan behind closed doors. Either way you choose to run (w or w/out an extra fan), the B&W is several orders of magnitude quieter than the MDD DP 1.25 GHz G4 that my girlfriend has.

/Cincinnatus

P.S. If you are going to overclock or run an upgrade > 500 MHz, I would definitely run with an extra fan. The case was designed to run with CPUs that peaked at 450 MHz, and had much lower heat output than the 700 MHz+ G4 upgrades.

Forum Links
Forum Rules