Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > fx 5200 from G5: usable elsewhere?

fx 5200 from G5: usable elsewhere?
beeba123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 10:30 AM

So, I cheaped out and got a rev-A dual 1.8 with the standard Geforce FX 5200. Now I want better performance in games (regular desktoppy stuff and apps seem to be fine), and have found a 9600 from another G5 whose owner wants to upgrade. No problems so far.

What I'm wondering is, what do I do with the old card. I suppose I should keep it around in case the other card dies, or if I want to sell it as original (three to five years down the line). Nevermind that.

Can this card be used in any G4's?

I want the straight scoop on its AGP speeds and things. I've read about people modifying (by insulating a couple pins on the AGP connector) 9600's to work at AGP 4x rather than 8x. Can this be done?

I don't have a G4, so maybe I shouldn't worry. I'd not mind turning the card into cash (like $50 or whatever!).

Anyone here ever try it? Feel brave? I'm not going to guarantee that the card works in anything except a G5, but if you want it for $50, let me know

(I don't mean to try and sell it here, I'm serious about the question.)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:10 AM

A Geforce FX 5200 to a Radeon 9600 isn't much of an upgrade. You may notice a bit of a difference, but not much. It would have been better to upgrade to a Radeon 9800 of some sort (the XT or the Pro Special Edition) or wait for the Radeon X800 (should be as fast as the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra).

You should get more than $50 for the Geforce FX 5200, but I believe it's only useable in a G5.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by beeba123:
So, I cheaped out and got a rev-A dual 1.8 with the standard Geforce FX 5200. Now I want better performance in games (regular desktoppy stuff and apps seem to be fine), and have found a 9600 from another G5 whose owner wants to upgrade. No problems so far.

What I'm wondering is, what do I do with the old card. I suppose I should keep it around in case the other card dies, or if I want to sell it as original (three to five years down the line). Nevermind that.

Can this card be used in any G4's?

I want the straight scoop on its AGP speeds and things. I've read about people modifying (by insulating a couple pins on the AGP connector) 9600's to work at AGP 4x rather than 8x. Can this be done?

I don't have a G4, so maybe I shouldn't worry. I'd not mind turning the card into cash (like $50 or whatever!).

Anyone here ever try it? Feel brave? I'm not going to guarantee that the card works in anything except a G5, but if you want it for $50, let me know

(I don't mean to try and sell it here, I'm serious about the question.)
Why would you want to run the new card in your G5 at 4x, not 8x AGP?

beeba123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 01:10 PM

i don't want to run it in my g5 at 4x. if the 4x/8x was the problem keeping it from running in a g4, maybe that would help.

hmm.

maybe i'll spring for the cash to move up to a real kickass card. $350 seems a bit steep though. i wish i had spent the bucks when i ordered the box, but i thought that i wouldn't be playing games... penny wise, pound foolish.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
A Geforce FX 5200 to a Radeon 9600 isn't much of an upgrade. You may notice a bit of a difference, but not much. It would have been better to upgrade to a Radeon 9800 of some sort (the XT or the Pro Special Edition) or wait for the Radeon X800 (should be as fast as the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra).

You should get more than $50 for the Geforce FX 5200, but I believe it's only useable in a G5.
In games there should be a very noticeable difference. $50 for the upgrade is well worth it, especially since you could sell it on ebay for more than that to a G4 owner (they can use the tape trick to use it in a G4) and put that money toward a 9800.

The FX 5200 sucks in comparison to the 9600, and blows in comparison to the 9800. The FX 5200 might make a good dust cover for a small part of your desk. It's keyed so that it can only fit in a G5 or maybe a PC with an AGP Pro slot. However, it probably won't work well in a PC without a ROM flash and there's no guarantee that would even work.
( Last edited by a2daj; Jul 30, 2004 at 06:23 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
A Geforce FX 5200 to a Radeon 9600 isn't much of an upgrade....
I disagree. The Radeon 9600 is a very capable card. Unless you're a hard core gamer playing at 1600x1200, you'll be happy with its performance.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 11:34 PM

i have 9600xt and run all my games at 1280 x 1024 with no video lag at all, i'm pretty sure the 5200 isn't capable of this.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

beeba123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 12:34 AM

bah. i ordered up a 9800 pro, in the end.

it better be good, i'm gonna hold you guys responsible

thanks for the feedback though.

i'll probably just keep the card in case whoever i sell the G5 to (years from now presumably) wants the original stock card or if i sell the 9800 pro at some point, whatever.

--

sad isn't it? i don't even have the replacement card and i'm already planning on how to replace the replacement!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 12:56 AM

Hi beeba, which store did you bought it from?

regards

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 03:05 AM

I once bought two FX 5200's for use in some PC's I was building.

In Quake 3 they could not even keep up with a 32mb geforce2 mx nor an original geforce gts.

I exchanged them for two ti4200's which were more than twice as fast.

The 9800 Pro will mop the floor with your old FX 5200, I kid you not.

Let us know your impressions.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:46 AM

I'm in the same boat as beeba, I have a Rev A. DP 1.8 with the 5200. Has anybody heard anything about when the Mac version of the X800 will be released ?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I'm in the same boat as beeba, I have a Rev A. DP 1.8 with the 5200. Has anybody heard anything about when the Mac version of the X800 will be released ?
No news. Only speculation.

beeba123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 01:14 PM

http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/109a14400.html

refurb, $200.

coming soon i hope.

Cincinnatus
Aug 3, 2004, 11:15 AM

beeba123,

Would you please post again once the card arrives. I've never heard of "We Love Macs", but would be interested in purchasing a card from them if all goes well with your transaction.

thanks,
/Cincinnatus

[EDIT: I couldn't resist! I as well purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB from these guys. I'll post back once its arrives (fingers crossed).]

[EDIT: FedEx tells me that it should arrive on Aug. 5]

[EDIT: Package is now in Colorado Springs, only a short drive away).]

[EDIT: Card arrived at 9:30, Aug. 5, as promised. Will install tonight.]

[EDIT: Card installed and functional; reported as ATY,R350 (128MB RAM) in System Profiler.]
( Last edited by Cincinnatus; Aug 5, 2004 at 06:10 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules