Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Advice sought on best G3 (B&W) upgrade options

Advice sought on best G3 (B&W) upgrade options
PBAddict
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 11:12 AM

I have a G3 (B&W) 350 mhz Power Mac. I really need to get another years use out of the machine as my main desk top until I can afford a G5 ( also have a PB G$ 867mhz which I use for video editing). The G3 I mainly use for:-

1. iPhoto
2. PhotoShop
3. iTunes
4. Safari
5. Microsoft office
6. A little bit of Video editing normally via iMovie occasionally FCE v1

Todate the only Modifications I have done to date are:-

1. Increase ram to 640mb
2. Install 2nd HD � 60GB

I� m ruuning out of disk space more storage is needed. When I get G5 I plan to keep the G3 as a File /Printer Server ( i.e share iPhoto/iTunes Library) with other machines. Would be grateful for any thoughts on what is best manufacturer. Probably something in the 80gb to 120gb range.

I�m think of the following upgrades, I can�t afford to do all of them so would be grateful your thoughts on what would give the most bang for my buck( As I live in UK I have included prices in Pounds)

1. Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA IDE Drive Controller � 80pnds
2. New HD � 100 pnds
3. ATI Radeon 9200 PC1 128mb video Card Mac edition. � 120pnds
4. Increase Memory to 1GB � 100pnds
5. Processor Upgrade Sonnet Encore ZIF G4 500mhz or 700mhz � 160 to 230 pnds

Thanks for the help

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

Check into how much a Sawtooth G4 would cost used: you might find that if you sell the B&W G3 (after stripping out all the stuff you added), you could buy a Sawtooth for less additional money than it would take to get a processor upgrade. Then you could put all your extras in it, and the rest of your components get upgraded also.

I did something similar recently, except for the fact that I got a sweet deal on a Digital Audio G4, so I had the additional step of trading in my PC100 ram for PC133 ram, which increaded the overall cost. (I think I spent something like $300 on the whole deal.) I had a Rev. A B&W, though, so if I kept it I would have had to buy an IDE card for it to add another drive, anyway.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

PBAddict  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Check into how much a Sawtooth G4 would cost used: you might find that if you sell the B&W G3 (after stripping out all the stuff you added), you could buy a Sawtooth for less additional money than it would take to get a processor upgrade. Then you could put all your extras in it, and the rest of your components get upgraded also.

I did something similar recently, except for the fact that I got a sweet deal on a Digital Audio G4, so I had the additional step of trading in my PC100 ram for PC133 ram, which increaded the overall cost. (I think I spent something like $300 on the whole deal.) I had a Rev. A B&W, though, so if I kept it I would have had to buy an IDE card for it to add another drive, anyway.

This is a good idea, but unfortunately I live in Africa, but I am going back to the UK in a few weeks so the only option is for me to bring the parts in my suitcase,if i bring a whole computer I will have problems with customs, let alone I will probably exceed my weight allowance.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by PBAddict:
This is a good idea, but unfortunately I live in Africa, but I am going back to the UK in a few weeks so the only option is for me to bring the parts in my suitcase,if i bring a whole computer I will have problems with customs, let alone I will probably exceed my weight allowance.
Ahh, well in that case, I'd opt for a bigger HD, since that is something that will benefit you even after you get the new G5. All the other things would make your G3 faster, but once you get the G5 and make the G3 into a server, that won't matter. Plus, it will fit in your suitcase better.

Your B&W will likely not be able to use drives over 120 GB without that new IDE card, though, so don't bother looking for drives bigger than that. If you get a good deal, you can put the bigger drive in and it will work fine, you'll only be able to use 120 GB.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

PBAddict  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Ahh, well in that case, I'd opt for a bigger HD, since that is something that will benefit you even after you get the new G5. All the other things would make your G3 faster, but once you get the G5 and make the G3 into a server, that won't matter. Plus, it will fit in your suitcase better.

Your B&W will likely not be able to use drives over 120 GB without that new IDE card, though, so don't bother looking for drives bigger than that. If you get a good deal, you can put the bigger drive in and it will work fine, you'll only be able to use 120 GB.
As I already have 2 drives installed and OS X is on the 6gb, drive I will probably get the IDE card any way, so i can keep the 6GB as a backup bootable drive if needed.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 12:50 PM

I would definitely recommend a processor upgrade. I put a PowerLogix G3/900 MHz ZIF in my old G3 350 MHz here at work and it gave it a second life. I run 10.3 with no problems. The upgrade was $250. I also have 640 MB of ram.

It looks like you can upgrade to a G3/1GHz for $280 (156 pounds) and a G4/1GHz for $380 (211 pounds).

PBAddict  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
I would definitely recommend a processor upgrade. I put a PowerLogix G3/900 MHz ZIF in my old G3 350 MHz here at work and it gave it a second life. I run 10.3 with no problems. The upgrade was $250. I also have 640 MB of ram.

It looks like you can upgrade to a G3/1GHz for $280 (156 pounds) and a G4/1GHz for $380 (211 pounds).
I had thought about this, but for some reason the Powerlogix G3 ZIF range doesn't seem to be available..least i'cant find anyone who stocks them. If anyone knows a UK dealer let me know.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 02:05 PM

I had thought about this, but for some reason the Powerlogix G3 ZIF range doesn't seem to be available..least i'cant find anyone who stocks them. If anyone knows a UK dealer let me know.
I'd call Other World Computing. There number for international is 815-338-8658.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2004, 02:17 PM

Another vote for a PowerLogix 1.1GHz G3 ZIF.

The higher clock speed G4 upgrades from Sonnet cut the bus speed from 100MHz to 66MHz which has a drastic effect on system performance. And the 500-600MHz G4 upgrades really don't cut it for 2004 computing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Cincinnatus
Aug 26, 2004, 02:32 PM

For storage needs, I've gone with an 120 GB external FireWire HD on my B&W (the two internal spots already had drives - 8GB and 40GB). As it only serves files, I haven't upgraded the video card, but I did have a Yikes! G4 (no AGP) that I put a Radeon 7000 in, which was fine for OS X and iPhoto/Photoshop work. Now that the 9200 is out, you might try that instead.

/Cincinnatus

PBAddict  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 07:31 PM

Any benefit in going upto 1 gig of ram or is the improvement from 640mb marginal?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 09:09 PM

Any benefit in going upto 1 gig of ram or is the improvement from 640mb marginal?
Depends on what you are doing. For example, if you have many applications running simultaneously, more ram will help because the computer will not have to access the hard drive (virtual memory) and a hard drive is slower then solid state ram. Also, if you work with large images in Photoshop or video in iMovie/FCE, the more ram with help. Adding more ram however will not speed up your computer that much that you will notice. If I were you, I would do the following in this order:

1. Upgrade the processor with the PowerLogix G3/1GHz

2. Upgrade the video with the ATI Radeon 9200

After these two upgrades, if you feel you still need to squeeze some more speed out of it, then do the following:

3. Ultra ATA IDE Drive Controller with a 7,200 RMP hard drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules