Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Leopard doesn't recognize my Canon digital camera?

Leopard doesn't recognize my Canon digital camera?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2008, 09:57 AM

I have a Canon SD870IS digital camera. I attached it to the USB ports on my aluminum iMac running Leopard but it will not mount as an external drive. I tried all of the usb ports and then did a google search and read posts that this camera is not compatible with Leopard and that I would have to use a card reader to attach the card to the usb port (which I lost). Is this possibly true? How can a popular digital camera like Canon not be compatible with a popular OS like Leopard?

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2008, 10:19 AM

You've heard about loose cannons? There's your answer...

Hilarity aside, a small card reader is a good thing to have. You can use your spare cards as flash drives, etc, until you need them for the camera. A card reader is no harder to keep track than a cable.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2008, 10:21 AM

My understanding is that no Canons mount as an external drive. I have had a couple, and neither did. They are compatible with Leopard, though, in that I can get the photos just fine in iPhoto, and I presume in Image Capture as well.
Mary

OreoCookie
Apr 16, 2008, 10:44 AM

Digital cameras can mount in two modes: either as external drive or in a special `camera mode'. Both are compatible with Leopard! Even if you were using Windows, it still would not mount as an external drive.

I'm not sure about your particular camera, but I can choose the connection mode with my Nikon dslr. If you want to download your pictures, you have two choices: either iPhoto (easier) or Image Capture. iPhoto is a great photo management app for consumers.

If you think this is cumbersome, thank Canon
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2008, 11:10 AM

Should iPhoto have come up when I connected the camera? It didn't.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by striker100 View Post
Should iPhoto have come up when I connected the camera? It didn't.
Check that in the General iPhoto Prefs that "Connecting a Camera opens" is set to iPhoto
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Check that in the General iPhoto Prefs that "Connecting a Camera opens" is set to iPhoto
Ah thanks, it wasn't set to open when the camera was attached.

danman
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Digital cameras can mount in two modes: either as external drive or in a special `camera mode'. Both are compatible with Leopard! Even if you were using Windows, it still would not mount as an external drive.

If you think this is cumbersome, thank Canon
Thats BS. My Canon 30D wouldn't mount in Leopard but in XP it would mount. I had to buy a card reader to get the pics off of it.

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2008, 02:36 AM

MacOS X supports the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) since at least version 10.2, you have to use Image Capture or iPhoto, for instance, to download the photos from the camera.

The second popular mode is to act as a mass storage device. Perhaps Canons do not support that mode, so they won't mount in the Finder at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2008, 08:02 AM

Is "PTP" the same thing as "PictBridge"?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2008, 08:47 AM

As far as I understand PictBridge is for connecting a camera directly to a printer. The other one is to transfer files from your camera to your computer. Most cameras I've worked with (several by Olympus, a few Canons, Sonys and Nikons) either allow you to choose between the two protocols or they just show up as a mass storage device.

In either case, I haven't of any problems of this kind before, OS X understands PTP (I've tried it) … 

Forum Links
Forum Rules