Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPads emerge on eBay

iPads emerge on eBay
Martin Castillo
Baninated
Mar 15, 2010, 02:07 AM

Before the first day of pre-ordering had ended, the ebay price gouging market had emerged. By Saturday the 64GB model was going for $2395.00. On Sunday someone posted a 16GB version for $21,000,000.00 and had the nerve to ask for $14.95 for shipping and handling. What is really sad is that some people will actually pay 2 or 3 times retail value to get the device in their hands immediately.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2010, 02:26 AM

Prices are dictated by the free market. If someone wants to pay $14 Million for the first iPad and has the means to do so, so be it. I'd love to set up a deal to sell something in that fashion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 04:57 PM

Apple had pretty serious control over iphones and the ebay market during the 3G and 3GS rollouts. Supply and demand were pretty well met. I can't see them messing that up with the ipad. This pre-ebay sales stuff is just insanity and will meet it's target audience.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2010, 06:04 PM

eBay is for suckers.

-t

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 17, 2010, 12:54 PM

The target audience is probably the overseas folks who won't see an iPad until later this year...was it summer for distribution outside the US?

Who's going to pay over $2k for an iPad? My guess is some European with money to burn who wants to have the first exported iPad.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Apple had pretty serious control over iphones and the ebay market during the 3G and 3GS rollouts. Supply and demand were pretty well met.
Huh? Pretty well met? iPhone supplies?

Damn, that was definitely not the case over here. It was more than six months before the situation had stabilised enough that you could walk into a store and walk out with an iPhone. In the beginning, people ordered iPhones and had to wait two or three months to get them.
( Last edited by Oisín; Apr 11, 2010 at 03:35 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Apple had pretty serious control over iphones and the ebay market during the 3G and 3GS rollouts. Supply and demand were pretty well met. I can't see them messing that up with the ipad. This pre-ebay sales stuff is just insanity and will meet it's target audience.
They didn't for 2G though... since the 3G dropped iTunes activation probably. I made a lot of money off of the 2G

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2010, 05:25 PM

I'll sell my 32g wifi iPad for $2000 with free overnight shipping anywhere in the world. Personal overnight delivery with a free Macbook Pro for $5000. I'll even put on a tie. No nigerian cashier checks...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mickhel View Post
It is actually called demand driven by marketing. With the US economy in the worst shape that it has ever been in, I don't think that it is wise for the US consumer to go deeper into debt to get the latest electronic gadget. Remember the iPad is made in China!!!

[urI=http://www.linkremoved.com/]Term papers[/url]
WTF, dude ?

Reported.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF, dude ?

Reported.

-t
Too late.

Lotus Esprit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

There are still people in the UK who are buying them off of Ebay.
Why can't people just wait?
I am content to hold off another few weeks for the 3Gs to come out before I get mine. And no, I won't be sleeping overnight in front of a store waiting to get it. Stroll in closer to 4:00 PM and out by 4:10 PM.
My Phone Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 09:26 PM

I'm very patient. I'm waiting for V2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules