Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > File sharing, firewall and sleep mode

File sharing, firewall and sleep mode
GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2010, 01:58 AM

I had this whole damn thing typed out but got logged out when I hit submit. Anyhoo, let's try this again.

I connect to my Mac Pro with my Macbook Pro wirelessly through a D-Link DIR-655 router. Both computers are running snow leopard 10.6.4. The Mac Pro is connected to the network via ethernet cable (although it does have an airport card installed).

I have file sharing, itunes sharing and screen sharing enabled. file sharing and screen sharing are showing "Allow access..." in the firewall advanced window.

It all works fine until the Mac Pro goes to sleep. After that, I can't connect to it and it doesn't show in the shared area of the side panel.

I have "Wake for ethernet access" enabled in the energy saver control panel but I'm guessing that's for wired access.

Is there a setting somewhere I"m missing to allow me to wake my sleeping computer wirelessly?

Do I even need the firewall turned on if I have the D-Link set up. I think I have the router's security settings proper.
( Last edited by GuyWithACamera; Jul 23, 2010 at 02:17 AM. )
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2010, 10:48 AM

Your guess is correct, your Mac Pro won't wake over wireless and I'm not certain it would even wake over ethernet unless you're using a program intended to send the magic packet.

You can keep the MP on; offload your file sharing to a less power-hungry machine; get a NAS; or, if your dlink supports it, connect a USB drive to the dlink.

GuyWithACamera  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess the Apple base stations will allow waking via wireless connection but not D-Link. The WakeonLan works over airport and am using that. A couple extra clicks I guess won't kill me.

And, for future reference, I can wake the Mac Pro up if my laptop is connected via ethernet, just not wireless.

Thank you for your time.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 09:42 AM

I think that it's interesting that Apple uses AirPort cards that support wake-on-wireless, but don't offer a setting to enable that. I just checked, and the card in my iMac supports a/b/g/n and wake-on-wireless, but I can't find anything in Network Preferences for the card that even acknowledges that this function exists-unlike with the wired card which has a simple checkbox to enable wake-on-LAN.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules