Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone: MS Exchange or Gmail?

iPhone: MS Exchange or Gmail?
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2013, 02:34 PM

Gmail users,

Which email do you prefer using on your iPhone: Microsoft Exchange or Gmail? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one email system vs. the other?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2013, 03:36 PM

I use Gmail. First, I don't have any accounts on an Exchange server, so it was an easy decision. Second, Gmail allows me to compartmentalize my mail, so my professional account (like "GlennPro @ gmail..") doesn't get memixed up with my hobby interests account (like "GlennRCPlane @..."), so my state regulatory board doesn't get accidental forwards about my latest competition, and my hobby acquaintances don't need to know about my work and licensure communications.

I like the fact that IMAP is essentially the default for Gmail accounts, so I can read this mail wherever I am and not worry about synchronizing anything. In contrast, an Exchange server needs to be configured to allow various types of access, and I don't think it comes out of the box set up for IMAP. Given the choice, I'd go POP3 over Exchange from either end of the connection. But then, I prefer things simple... On the other hand, I really, really wish I could find a way to make my AT&T mail go IMAP, since POP3 is definitely a major pain, especially compared to IMAP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
May 16, 2013, 04:08 PM

Dunno why anyone who wasn't stuck with exchange for work purposes would choose it... that said, it works fine on my iphone, for reading email. There is a well documented bug with meetings that has made our IT department strongly discourage anyone from upgrading to IOS6, as it apparently messes with meeting acceptances and other scheduling problems.

I don't have gmail on my phone, just the ipad. That also works fine, but is annoying for it's lack of trash icon.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 04:15 PM

I use the Exchange option with Gmail on my iPhone, because it's running an ancient version of iOS (3.2 or something?) that doesn't support calendar or contacts syncing with Gmail unless you use Exchange.

If you have a newer iPhone that has an updated version of iOS, though, just use the native Gmail support.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cold Warrior
May 16, 2013, 08:16 PM

Gmail's "push" support through iOS Mail is entirely exchange activesync -- and they are or have already discontinued it for gmail on new devices. If you already have it, it'll work. If you change your device, it won't work anymore. New gmail users also don't get it. All that leaves is imap for iOS Mail gmail, unless you're on their paid service.

I switched to outlook.com because it'll push email to my next iphone.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 04:27 AM

If you don't need or care about the special features that Exchange provides, and you don't mind your data being mined, go with GMail.

ibook_steve
May 17, 2013, 03:15 PM

I actually wish I could use Exchange for my work email. I have to use Good! Which isn't "good" at all! And doesn't sync to anything other than my work Exchange.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Gmail's "push" support through iOS Mail is entirely exchange activesync -- and they are or have already discontinued it for gmail on new devices. If you already have it, it'll work. If you change your device, it won't work anymore. New gmail users also don't get it. All that leaves is imap for iOS Mail gmail, unless you're on their paid service.

I switched to outlook.com because it'll push email to my next iphone.
I did not know that.

Looks like Exchange support for normal Gmail accounts is going away, too. I'm apparently way behind the times.

For the OP - I did find some useful information on getting calendar and contacts sync working in iOS, though:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3008051
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules