Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iOS Chrome Observations

iOS Chrome Observations
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2014, 06:44 AM

Included with the various things I do when surfing with my iPad, I go to online shopping sites (gasp!), many of which belong to large brick-and-mortar chains and allow you to pick your local store. For some reason mine won't stick and they seem to default to locations wildly different from my own. For example, when I go back to Home Depot's site, it tells me "your store in in Pasadena, CA." In the past I've thought "that's random" and gone on about my business.

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed that banner ads for PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) have been showing up on MacNN pages... This makes me wonder if Google's code includes a default locale for Chrome. I DO have location services for Chrome turned on, so it isn't having to guess where I am.

I know that the store location thing is about cookies, and that it's likely that Chrome manages cookies differently from the way a non-iOS browser might, but when the store that comes up is both a specific store and consistently in an area I've never even visited, it makes me wonder what's going on. Likewise, the localized ad placements puzzle me - why are those also from an area I've never even visited, let alone with my iPad?

Aside from the "select my store? again!?" type hassles, this isn't a problem as such, but it makes me curious if others have noticed weirdness with such things.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 19, 2014, 06:56 AM

As an added data point, the PG&E ads are placed by "Conversant Media" and "are based on your browsing choices." So probably they're picking up on something about where Chrome thinks I am surfing to, and if those store locations keep defaulting to somewhere in SoCal, maybe that's related...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules