Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Image Library App

Image Library App
Floyde
May 4, 2007, 06:14 AM

Hiya!

I'm looking for an application to replace iphoto.
iPhoto's is ok but, unless I'm using it wrong, I find its a bit limiting.
I upload laods of photo's to my photobucket account, send photo's to mates on MSN and irc.. now without going into the iphoto's dir and finding the folder the pics are in or making a folder and still searching the folder (normally an alias in the album dir yeah) I find it hard to upload pics and send them.
I end up having to open iPhoto and dragging the image into finder and then sending on.. meaning I have duplicates everywhere.

Whats the best app for just having a decent interface to browse files and have normal right click functions on the images.
I used to love ACDsee on the PC but there isn't a mac version.

Cheers
----------------------------------
It'll never get better if you pick it!!

glypht
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 07:22 AM

Both FlickR and Picasa Web Albums have Mac upload apps, I haven't tried the FlickR one but the Picasa one works very well with iPhoto.

You should be able to drag any image from iPhoto to your contact list in MSN in order to send it without making a copy.

The whole point of iPhoto (like iTunes) is that you should never have to go digging around in the library through folders of images by filename because there are so many more and better ways of accessing and filtering the photos using iPhoto's interface. Any properly written app should be able to use an image dragged directly from the iPhoto window.

Otherwise, iView Media is a the best app (IMHO) for cataloguing folders of images (and other media), although it was recently purchased by Microsoft so its future is uncertain…

Floyde  (op)
May 4, 2007, 12:20 PM

Ok sweet.. Thanks for the reply... I'll play around with iphotos for a bit longer.
I looked at iview and liked it but then again its 100notes or so.
----------------------------------
It'll never get better if you pick it!!

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Floyde View Post
Hiya!

I'm looking for an application to replace iphoto.
iPhoto's is ok but, unless I'm using it wrong, I find its a bit limiting.
I upload laods of photo's to my photobucket account, send photo's to mates on MSN and irc.. now without going into the iphoto's dir and finding the folder the pics are in or making a folder and still searching the folder (normally an alias in the album dir yeah) I find it hard to upload pics and send them.
I end up having to open iPhoto and dragging the image into finder and then sending on.. meaning I have duplicates everywhere.

Whats the best app for just having a decent interface to browse files and have normal right click functions on the images.
I used to love ACDsee on the PC but there isn't a mac version.

Cheers
Floyde:

iPhotro is designed so you don't have to go into its folder system to do the things you want. If you're using Mail, Eudora or Entourage all you need to do is select the photos in iPhoto and click on the Mail button in the bottom toolbar. It will give you a choice of iimage sizes to send and then open the mail application and add the files to a new email. To upload a photo to the web, if you wnat the full sized file just drag the thumbnail to the desktop which creates a copy and upload that one. If you want a smaller file to upload select the photos and use the File->Export->File Export menu option. You'll have a window where you can set the pixel dimension of the files and then export to the desktop. Check out iPhoto's Help file.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2007, 05:02 AM

I agree with Old Toad. iPhoto is best used if you just don't worry about files and folders. You should be able to do everything with iPhoto's built-in functionality.

With Leopard, it should be even better. It looks like all "open" file dialog boxes include access to your iPhoto albums.

Forum Links
Forum Rules