Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Two G5s and ATI 9600 card oddity

Two G5s and ATI 9600 card oddity
anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2009, 04:10 PM

I have 2 Power Mac G5s with the following"

1.8 GHz (AGP, PCI-X), 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6
2.5 GHz DP (AGP,PCI-X), 512mb RAM, OSX 10.4.11

A new ATI 9600 256mb card was purchased to use with a 30" Cinema Dislay.

Here is the problem:
Installing the ATI 9600 card to the 2.5 GHz DP and hooking up the 30" monitor will
yield the top resolution of 2560x1600.
However, the 1.8 GHz G5 with the same exact ATI card installed and 30" monitor attached will only get a top resolution of 1280x800.
Of note is the 2.5 Ghz DP in System Profiler will actually list the display as Apple Cinema Display. While the 1.8 GHz system only labels it as Display.

Is there something wrong with the 1.8 GHz system ,or does it not support the 30" Display?
thanks for your help.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 20, 2009, 04:33 PM

Did you have a display hooked up to the 1.8Ghz before you installed the ATI 9600 and display? It might be keeping the settings from that other display.

Have you tried resetting PRAM? If nothing else, hit (press) the CUDA switch (do not hold it down) after installing the ATI 9600.

I can't remember if the ATI 9600 has 1 or 2 dual-DVI ports, but if it has only one, did you by chance pick the wrong port when you had it hooked to G5 1.8. I can't remember how many times I've heard or seen people do this.

Support of the 30" monitor is by the video card. If the video card has a dual-DVI port, you should get the max res.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

anthology123  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2009, 06:27 PM

Hope I was clear in this post, but I just wanted to point out there is only one ATI 9600 in this scenario. The card that works fine in the 2.5 DP was moved to the 1.8 and booted up with the lesser resolution. I will try the CUDA switch and PRAM resets to see if that helps.

Also of note, is the ATI Mac & PC edition 9600 256mb AGP card is not a standard Apple offering, it was purchase separately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules