Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My greatest vice...

My greatest vice... (Page 2)
Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 10:34 PM

krillbee,

It's obvious that you are aware of the problem and you want to do something about it. So stop the thought rumination and please begin to to act. Literally, I suggest improv comedy. There must be a variety of groups to choose from in college. If not, start it yourself.

Improv is a fun way to sharpen your social skills, wit, and confidence. You meet many people, too. It requires an open minded environment where inhibitions are left at the door. It is great feeling when you can achieve this type of comfort level while surrounded by your peers. It's actually my form of therapy; I get a great rush of endorphins from it.

It will take some courage to take this step, but realize that anything goes in improv and no one cares if you make a fool out of yourself. Trust me.

Remember to also carry yourself well. Much, if not all of life is mental, so exude confidence (which will increase exponentially with improv) and try working out.

The pieces will fall together and soon you'll be one piece shy of legoland and when you find her, you'll know.

peace....i better not see you posting again or i'll track you down and suplex you.
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Jan 4, 2006 at 10:54 PM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Literally, I suggest impov comedy.
Impoverished comedy? Like Tom Green?

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
Impoverished comedy? Like Tom Green?

impoverished tragedy is more like it

edited previous post, thanks for the heads up

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:57 PM

How bout Improv Sex?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee
well there arent actually dorms, they are more like apartments. I just use the term dorm because its college students.

the problem is that most the people on our floor dont leave their door open.
join a club, (or cult even!)

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 11:05 PM

improv + sex - full bladder = ingenious

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
join a club, (or cult even!)
Scientology will have you jumping for joy in no time.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jjlannoo
You know this sounds stupid, But I think it could work. I would try it If I were You. Especially if your not on the top floor. Lots of traffic will help
i put a sign up on there earlier saying "neighbors, dont feel shy, feel free to come on in"
or something to that extent, and i left my door open a ton.

No one came in. and it was up there for a good 3 weeks. from what ive gathered, of the 5 other apartments on my floor (with each having about 3 people) everyone is off in their own world. figures, seeing as everyone in my apartment building is at least a junior or older.

Originally Posted by Doofy
Right then krillbee... ...here's your assignment for tomorrow.

Say "hi" to every chick you fancy who you happen to walk past. Nothing more, nothing less.

Report back.
dont worry, i do that regularly. unfortunately hi is not enough. and usually girls arent the ones to initate back with you beyond a hello.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 02:29 PM

Miami.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee
dont worry, i do that regularly. unfortunately hi is not enough. and usually girls arent the ones to initate back with you beyond a hello.
OK, time to take it to the next level. Add a "how are you doing today?" to the end of the "hi" when you walk past a girl who you've already said "hi" to on a number of occasions.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 01:27 PM

almost a year later and I'm still addicted

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 01:29 PM

Rise from your grave

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:38 PM

I don't think this is about anything besides will power. It's just a matter of how bad you want to quit. I would suggest that maybe you should set aside a time during the day that you can get on the Internet. Once you've exhausted your allotted time, DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET BACK ON.

Of course, it sounds simpler and easier than it is, but if you're truly fed up, you'll do it.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't think this is about anything besides will power. It's just a matter of how bad you want to quit. I would suggest that maybe you should set aside a time during the day that you can get on the Internet. Once you've exhausted your allotted time, DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET BACK ON.

Of course, it sounds simpler and easier than it is, but if you're truly fed up, you'll do it.
I suppose I could try that again. I've tried that in the past and it has failed me.

Although, if this answer worked for everyone, you wouldnt need such a thing as "internet addiction counselors"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 02:28 PM

hang out with some dudes and work on -all of you- going out together.

"Damn bro, I reeeeallly wanna get friendly with a chick tonight man"

"No doubt bro!"

"Man, look at herrr.. she should come ova hurrr."

Then tell your friend to go grab her for you, and have him tell her that you're just kinda shy. Of course you'll have to get into the conversation at some point. Or he may bang her. Unfortunately, even if you and her hit it off, your buddy will probably end up bangin' her too just cause of the weird chemistry they had since the first night when he went up to her and was like "ey, my friend thinks you're real cute and wants to talk to you but he's a little shy"

This post went south it seems.
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post

"No doubt bro!"

Then tell your friend to go grab her for you, and have him tell her that you're just kinda shy. Of course you'll have to get into the conversation at some point. Or he may bang her. Unfortunately, even if you and her hit it off, your buddy will probably end up bangin' her too just cause of the weird chemistry they had since the first night when he went up to her and was like "ey, my friend thinks you're real cute and wants to talk to you but he's a little shy"

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post

"No doubt bro!"

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
almost a year later and I'm still addicted
Get professional help. Addiction is a disease. You can't cure addiction with willpower any more than you can cure cancer with willpower.

A shrink or therapist can't cure addiction either. But he can help you manage the problem.

It might be worthwhile to visit a self-help group too. You don't have to open up; you can just listen.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Get professional help. Addiction is a disease. You can't cure addiction with willpower any more than you can cure cancer with willpower.

A shrink or therapist can't cure addiction either. But he can help you manage the problem.

It might be worthwhile to visit a self-help group too. You don't have to open up; you can just listen.
What if I can't afford professional help?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 08:25 PM

It doesn't sound like you really want to let go of your vice. Until you want to let it go, you're not going to be able to. At some level, you obviously want to stop. But if you really wanted to, you'd find a way to make it work, beyond posting once a year on a message board about it. Posting on macnn about your internet addiction is like looking for food addiction help at chuck-a-rama.

The thing that has worked best for me has been to find something you're more interested in. Musical Instrument, Cycling, a girl. Then you can start dividing your time more normally.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 10:53 PM

The people at a self-help group might be able to direct you to inexpensive/subsidized providers. Social workers and church leaders might also know where to go for assistance.

How's this for some recommendations:

1. A clean slate. Erase all your bookmarks, or simply do a clean system install.
2. Talk to your parents. "I think I have a problem. I need your help to manage it."
3. Ask your parents to cancel the internet and enforce a home-time curfew.
4. Go to the bookstore and visit the psychology/self-help section.
5. Regulate your life. Sleeping and eating at the same times every day are a good start.
6. Set and achieve realistic goals. Something like "make one new acquaintance" or "sell one computer."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 11:08 PM

How come somebody hasn't said "Miami vice" yet?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 11:40 PM

Because Crockett's greatest vices were women and booze, not being a computer shut-in with "Come On In, My Skin is See-Thru!" on his dormroom door.
ice

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 AM

My vice is women. They cost as much as computers do, and you can`t resell them (not these days). Seriously. I just gotta catch em all. (I am being completely serious)

I too have had computer issues in my past... but you can only do so much with a computer and your free time. Find a new hobby for outside of work hours. Like camping. It`ll get you away from the internet and fresh air doesn`t cost very much. Bike ridding is good too. Heck, anything outside. Leave your phone and laptops at home.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 12:22 AM

I suppose I could try that again. I've tried that in the past and it has failed me.
What's your IP address?

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The people at a self-help group might be able to direct you to inexpensive/subsidized providers. Social workers and church leaders might also know where to go for assistance.

How's this for some recommendations:

1. A clean slate. Erase all your bookmarks, or simply do a clean system install.
2. Talk to your parents. "I think I have a problem. I need your help to manage it."
3. Ask your parents to cancel the internet and enforce a home-time curfew.
4. Go to the bookstore and visit the psychology/self-help section.
5. Regulate your life. Sleeping and eating at the same times every day are a good start.
6. Set and achieve realistic goals. Something like "make one new acquaintance" or "sell one computer."
1. the bookmarks/cookies would fill up in no time
2. already done it.
3. mom cant cancel internet, she needs it for her job
4. havent dont it yet
5. doing it already
6. tried the goal of meeting friends, it hasnt worked. Yeah, I need to sell more computers.

Originally Posted by ink View Post
What's your IP address?
lol, my mom uses the internet for her work, cant do that.

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
My vice is women. They cost as much as computers do, and you can`t resell them (not these days). Seriously. I just gotta catch em all. (I am being completely serious)

I too have had computer issues in my past... but you can only do so much with a computer and your free time. Find a new hobby for outside of work hours. Like camping. It`ll get you away from the internet and fresh air doesn`t cost very much. Bike ridding is good too. Heck, anything outside. Leave your phone and laptops at home.
your vice is women? are you saying that you like to fool around with lots of women? I am the type that believes in finding one girl and sticking with her for a long term relationship. although ive never had a girlfriend once. surprise surprise!

I'd go outside more if it wasnt winter and freezing up here in MN

I think I just need to sell all my computers.

Originally Posted by DeathMan View Post
It doesn't sound like you really want to let go of your vice. Until you want to let it go, you're not going to be able to. At some level, you obviously want to stop. But if you really wanted to, you'd find a way to make it work, beyond posting once a year on a message board about it. Posting on macnn about your internet addiction is like looking for food addiction help at chuck-a-rama.

The thing that has worked best for me has been to find something you're more interested in. Musical Instrument, Cycling, a girl. Then you can start dividing your time more normally.
i guess going by that logic then, poor people just must not want to live a good life huh?
ive posted on more than just this board (i dont even come here that often). I've tried to get help from parents, friends, but it really feels like im getting nowhere.

the problem with me is that nothing else interests me besides computers
( Last edited by krillbee; Dec 13, 2006 at 04:28 PM. )

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

Take a night course at a college or university. They are cheap and available to anyone. Pick something like English lit, Shakespeare, or poetry. If you take a women's literature or gender studies course, you're guaranteed to come into contact with females

Most importantly, Don't think, just do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules