Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Give me your impressions of Facebook

Give me your impressions of Facebook
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 06:55 PM

I was reading an article in Time about how it's the "Myspace for adults". I just got a few invites to it and I'm very leery about signing on. Thoughts?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cold Warrior
Jul 20, 2007, 07:00 PM

Meh....my impression is that it's just myspace for college students and folks just out of college.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2007, 07:02 PM

its decent.
7.5/10
Probably the best social networking site - be wary of FaceBook apps though, stinks of MySpace..
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 07:02 PM

"MySpace for adults"?! Wow, that's being a bit mean.

As of now, there are less ads on FB, not much ability to customize page layouts (thank God), and at least a little more security. It's really up to you.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 07:42 PM

I like the simplicity of Facebook and the fact that pages aren't loaded with a bunch of media that plays automatically and flashing .gifs.

I also like the implementation for photos much more on Facebook. The albums and the actual photo loading is very stable and reliable. You never know if a picture will load on MySpace when you click on it.

If being 18 and intelligent is the sign of an adult, then Facebook certainly is the MySpace for adults.
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 20, 2007 at 11:48 PM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 11:44 PM

I like it. Eight years out of college, judge as you will.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 12:41 AM

Viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

I think it holds some truth to it given that facebook required an edu email address up until recently.
Myspace is far more attractive to the less educated and tween crowd. Even with the overlap percentage you find much more trash on myspace.

MySpace, Facebook: A Tale of Two Cultures
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jul 21, 2007 at 12:47 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

I think it holds some truth to it given that facebook required an edu email address up until recently.
Myspace is far more attractive to the less educated and tween crowd. Even with the overlap percentage you find much more trash on myspace.

I have no use for either.

Err... wait, scratch that... I will say that some MySpace pages are amusing in a ghetto sort of way.

On MySpace, anyone can be Super Greg!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 01:53 AM

I have over 400 friends on Facebook, all of them people I actually know in real life. I think it's a fantastic site and has made keeping in touch with people a lot easier. The photos is a wonderful feature, as well as the Events and other things. Here's one example of how amazing Facebook is. I wanted to hitch a ride to an airport 30 minutes away. Before Facebook, what would you do? Post flyers all over campus with your request hoping someone will respond? Nonsense! All I do is search for the name of the city, then Facebook returns all my friends whose hometown is that city, I contact each of those friends and make the proposal. You can easily pinpoint information like that which makes networking and connecting much easier.

The main advantage of Facebook over Myspace besides the clean look is how Facebook organizes users into distinct 'Networks'. Also, people on Facebook put down their real names, so things tend to be more polite. Myspace is all about fantasy and "usernames". No wonder pedophiles thrive there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I have over 400 friends on Facebook, all of them people I actually know in real life. I think it's a fantastic site and has made keeping in touch with people a lot easier. The photos is a wonderful feature, as well as the Events and other things. Here's one example of how amazing Facebook is. I wanted to hitch a ride to an airport 30 minutes away. Before Facebook, what would you do? Post flyers all over campus with your request hoping someone will respond? Nonsense! All I do is search for the name of the city, then Facebook returns all my friends whose hometown is that city, I contact each of those friends and make the proposal. You can easily pinpoint information like that which makes networking and connecting much easier.
Back in university before I had a car, I took the bus.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 01:58 AM

Taking the bus = 20-60 dollars
Hitching a ride = free (or a little gas money at most)

I never friend anyone on Facebook until I've met them and will say hi if I pass them.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:03 AM

Where the hell were you that taking a 30 minute bus ride costs $20-60? It costs only $1.25 to take the bus to the Airport anywhere in the metro area here.
Vandelay Industries

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 02:04 AM

FaceBook, the best way to freeload, using the power of the internet!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Where the hell were you that taking a 30 minute bus ride costs $20-60? It costs only $1.25 to take the bus to the Airport anywhere in the metro area here.
This is the rural midwest

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:14 AM

Ok fine I looked at Greyhound, it's only 10 bucks.

My original point about Facebook still stands.

misc
Jul 21, 2007, 02:15 AM

Facebook is pretty decent.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Ok fine I looked at Greyhound, it's only 10 bucks.
Ah, ok that makes sense. I thought you were talking about public transit.
Vandelay Industries

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2007, 03:15 AM

I have 505 friends on facebook. I'm pretty sure I know all of them. It's how I contact my friends (I never use email...), share photos of trips and stuff that we do together, find out about parties, cookouts, etc, etc. It's great.

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 03:58 AM

I am 38 an recently signed up for a Facebook account. Midlife crisis?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I am 38 an recently signed up for a Facebook account. Midlife crisis?
Nah. Get a 23 year-old GF and a Porsche though and I'd say so.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Nah. Get a 23 year-old GF and a Porsche though and I'd say so.
A 38-year-old with a Porsche and a 23-year-old GF isn't a crisis. It's a measure of success.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Probably the best social networking site - be wary of FaceBook apps though, stinks of MySpace..
Agreed on that. My use of Facebook dropped significantly when they rolled out the apps.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2007, 10:39 AM

I use both. Some of my friends are on Myspace and refuse to use Facebook. Some of my friends are on Facebook and refuse to use Myspace. Weeee!
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
A 38-year-old with a Porsche and a 23-year-old GF isn't a crisis. It's a measure of success.
It's a successful resolution to a crisis.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 12:24 PM

I use it, but I'm in college still. It's a great way to keep tabs on people you went to high school with. You know, the type of friends that you would say hi to on the street, but wouldn't necessarily call regularly.

I've got 140 friends, and personally know each and every one of them.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 01:37 PM

I'm kinda surprised so many people want to keep in touch with hundreds of their high school and college acquaintances.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm kinda surprised so many people want to keep in touch with hundreds of their high school and college acquaintances.
Por que?
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I'll second that. Why not? High school wasn't horrid for me, and according to IceEnclosure it's done more for hook-ups than beer.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2007, 05:48 PM

A friend got me into facebook, and now I'm all but addicted to it.

I have a lot of friends from all over the world, and I like that Facebook gives us a nice easy format to all keep in touch with each other online.

As for the apps - I'm divided. Some are great - I like to be able to see what people have been listening to, their flikr accounts, where they have been - but I don't need to super poke or high five anyone, and I don't see the need to bite people to turn them into zombies.

But all in all it's very good.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
Por que?
Because usually the people you meet in high school and college are immature louses who aren't worth keeping in contact with after school ends. I know that I have zero interest in contacting anyone I went to high school with (many of whom I've known since kindergarten), and the only person from college I still have much contact with was one of my teachers.

Facebook is going to quickly degenerate into what MySpace has become. As more and more users sign up, the admins will become more desperate for money to pay for mounting bandwidth and hardware costs - and they will inevitably resort to more ads. I just don't see FaceBook staying the way it was when it was college-only.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 21, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Because usually the people you meet in high school and college are immature louses who aren't worth keeping in contact with after school ends. I know that I have zero interest in contacting anyone I went to high school with (many of whom I've known since kindergarten), and the only person from college I still have much contact with was one of my teachers.
So, your saying that anyone who has gone to high school and college are "immature louses who aren't worth keeping in contact with after school ends"? That is a LARGE number of people.

I am going to just throw this out there... maybe I am completely wrong... but maybe, just maybe... it's you.
Facebook is going to quickly degenerate into what MySpace has become. As more and more users sign up, the admins will become more desperate for money to pay for mounting bandwidth and hardware costs - and they will inevitably resort to more ads. I just don't see FaceBook staying the way it was when it was college-only.
Myspace doesn't suck because of the ads. It sucks because of the users. Most people on Myspace think they have to have a totally unique site that plays music, 10 movies at the same time, and annoying blinking sparkling .gifs. Actually, I find the ads on Facebook more annoying.
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 21, 2007 at 07:46 PM. )

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 07:27 PM

Here's my impression of Facebook: "Hi! Name's Facebook. My users like to think they're somehow better than my big brothers users. Some elitist ego trip crap a lot of these people have. I dunno. But here's a secret... they're not! Just a bunch of people who want contact with other people through the internet. Reach out and touch someone. lol"

"I say personal expression is overrated. Which is OK with my crowd. They don't mind being restricted as long as everyone else is. And that's what's important here. lol"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2007, 11:18 PM

Wow. It really saddens me that you couldn't find even a few people that you could at least put up with and call your friends.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wow. It really saddens me that you couldn't find even a few people that you could at least put up with and call your friends.
Why? I have a happy life. I have friends. You're sad that I didn't make friends in high school? Who cares? I have good friends, a good job, and a good place to live. What's sad about that?
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jul 22, 2007 at 01:02 AM. )

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 01:05 AM

Facebook is very nice. I like it a lot.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 01:28 AM

Why? I have a happy life. I have friends. You're sad that I didn't make friends in high school? Who cares? I have good friends, a good job, and a good place to live. What's sad about that?
I don't mean to demean you at all. I just think it's highly unlikely that there was something wrong with pretty much every person you met in both high school and college. I think it says a lot about you.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't mean to demean you at all. I just think it's highly unlikely that there was something wrong with pretty much every person you met in both high school and college. I think it says a lot about you.
My graduating class was 100. Unless you wore clothes from A&F and drove a brand-new SUV and had a credit card that mommy and daddy paid off every month, you were sh!t. I shopped at Wal-Mart, drove a totaled '90 Maxima with a trunk that was bungeed shut, and had a part-time job to be able to buy my lunches on field trips.

So, no. It wasn't just me. It was the fact that I didn't go to a normal school with normal kids who realized that the upper echelon of "middle class" wasn't the only social group on Earth.

Then I went to a public college, learned a lot more about people (and myself), and made a few friends. But I'd still take two really close friends over 100 superficial friends any day.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 05:10 AM

Because usually the people you meet in high school and college are immature louses who aren't worth keeping in contact with after school ends.
It turns out that you're not the *only* one who's grown up since high school.

Edit: okay, your explanation sounds reasonable.
( Last edited by analogika; Jul 22, 2007 at 05:36 AM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 06:16 AM

So, no. It wasn't just me

I'd still take two really close friends over 100 superficial friends any day.

Easy there Columbine, no one is asking you to choose.

Most people have their small circle of close life long friends and then they have a larger second tier group of friends who are fun to hang out with a few times a year. That's the bulk of people's facebook lists.

Its a little messed up that you are so bitter towards all those people you met in your formative years that you couldn't foster a handful of cordial relationships. Even the gimp with the messed up arm who lived on my floor freshman year seemed to have had a better social experience than you.

From the perspective you've demonstrated you aren't the one who's coming off as normal. Not every person you share a pitcher with has to be willing to give you a kidney. So yes, I'd say it is just you who was the odd person out if your adolescent relationships were such a wash.

I also doubt you were somehow the only person in a HS of 400 who had a limited income.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 06:59 AM

So yes, I'd say it is just you who was the odd person out if your adolescent relationships were such a wash.
All your usual judgementalism aside: Does it make any difference to her explanation of why she doesn't appreciate Facebook?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 08:18 AM

None.

Most of what was written was about the reasons why the author felt keeping in touch with people from one's past is not worthwhile. Therefore it was the focus of the reply.

The only thing that really pertained to Facebook was about how its future is in whoring ads and that was more of a passing comment.

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 12:43 PM

Ahh, Capt. Oblivious. Where would the world be without your "insight?"

I had plenty of friends in high school from all walks. I don't have contact with any of them nor any desire to. What was interesting and exciting 20 years ago isn't now. I'd bet the people who I would enjoy knowing now are the ones I didn't know then.

The only people I want to know I have regular real world contact with. Thus services proffered by Facebook or MySpace are meaningless to me and millions like me. Not everyone is satisfied with a gigantic list of fake friends.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 02:12 PM

Its a little messed up that you are so bitter towards all those people you met in your formative years that you couldn't foster a handful of cordial relationships.
I was going to bother to defend my position and explain to you that I'm not the only one with this kind of high school experience, but I have actual friends that I have plans with, so wasting my time explaining myself to someone who isn't interested in my point of view isn't worth it. Sorry.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
The only people I want to know I have regular real world contact with. Thus services proffered by Facebook or MySpace are meaningless to me and millions like me. Not everyone is satisfied with a gigantic list of fake friends.
Ahahahaha - exactly. I'd much rather focus on making meaningful, lasting, real relationships with real people in the real world. I used to be obsessed with making lots of e-friends on Facebook and MySpace and LiveJournal. Once I remembered that there was life outside the Internet (omg), I quit caring.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jul 22, 2007 at 02:41 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 02:26 PM

Once I remembered that there was life outside the Internet
Wait... What?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 02:32 PM

This is true in my case, Cpt Obvious. My real life friends tend to fall into two spheres: those that use Facebook, and those that use Myspace, with the former group being much larger than the latter. Up until this year, these two spheres where mutually exclusive.

My Myspace group of friends tend to be people who are highschoolers, or who go to community college, or who have never been to college, or who have been to prison. The only reason why I even signed up for Myspace was in order to get in touch with two particular gay friends I had who were flunkies but kinda hot.

Facebook, on the other hand, existed as an entirely separate world from this Myspace crowd. 90% or more were in college, the remainder had either just left college, or had somehow managed to get a .edu address from a mutual friend. No teens, tweens, olds, flunkies, etc.

This year, however, there has been considerable migration over to Facebook. The riff raff are coming in, as it were, and Facebook feels less safe. I, along with many other people, have started adjusting privacy settings so that only people we actually know can see our profiles, which is unfortunate because there used to be something fun about having everyone at your university being accessible to you.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jul 22, 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: grammatical typo)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 02:41 PM

I agree with you Kerrigan. I liked it better when it was just college. And shifuimam, I can see how that would be difficult. People do suck sometimes, but I'm glad you were able to make some good of it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 03:36 PM

. What was interesting and exciting 20 years ago isn't now.
Thus services proffered by Facebook or MySpace are meaningless to me and millions like me..
That's because you are old.

20 years ago most the people who use myspace or facebook were in diapers.
If you are using those sites at your age its more likely you'd be the sort who ends up on that Dateline show.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2007, 04:31 PM

I was going to bother to defend my position and explain to you that I'm not the only one with this kind of high school experience, but I have actual friends that I have plans with, so wasting my time explaining myself to someone who isn't interested in my point of view isn't worth it. Sorry.

Ahahahaha - exactly. I'd much rather focus on making meaningful, lasting, real relationships with real people in the real world. I used to be obsessed with making lots of e-friends on Facebook and MySpace and LiveJournal. Once I remembered that there was life outside the Internet (omg), I quit caring.
So, did these friends go to High School or College?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2007, 04:36 PM

Ahh, Capt. Oblivious. Where would the world be without your "insight?"

I had plenty of friends in high school from all walks. I don't have contact with any of them nor any desire to. What was interesting and exciting 20 years ago isn't now. I'd bet the people who I would enjoy knowing now are the ones I didn't know then.

"Capt. Oblivious"?!?! Don't you think that's uncalled for. He's probably more in the know and far more educated than you. Sure he's a little acrebic, but he's certainly not "oblivious".

"Services offered"?!?! You mean like picture albums and messaging? I often find it convenient to post a message on Facebook vs. email. I like being sent a message when someone posts a picture of someone else I know. You can get out of facebook whatever you like. Although I have far more friends not on facebook than I do on it, I wish most people I knew were on there. Heck, some people I know don't even access the internet or own cell phones. If they had a facebook account that they checked I'd have a much easier time getting a hold of them.

zro
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
"Capt. Oblivious"?!?! Don't you think that's uncalled for. He's probably more in the know and far more educated than you. Sure he's a little acrebic, but he's certainly not "oblivious".

"Services offered"?!?! You mean like picture albums and messaging? I often find it convenient to post a message on Facebook vs. email. I like being sent a message when someone posts a picture of someone else I know. You can get out of facebook whatever you like. Although I have far more friends not on facebook than I do on it, I wish most people I knew were on there. Heck, some people I know don't even access the internet or own cell phones. If they had a facebook account that they checked I'd have a much easier time getting a hold of them.
Well, seeing as we're the same age, according to Capt. "in-the-know" you're going to end up on Dateline. Don't forget to give the NN a shout-out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules