Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > random display color change?

random display color change?
snowcake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2007, 08:37 PM

Hi there. I wanted to know if any of you have ever experienced this. Tonight I was using my Macbook when all of a sudden, the display flickered and it seemed as if it was overlaid by a light blue colour. The only applications I had open at the time were Quicksilver, TextEdit, iTunes and Transmission. I shut down the computer, and rebooted. At first, I could still tell that a light blue color was overlaid, and while I was logging in, the display flickered again and the blue disappeared, and my display colors showed as normal. This is the first time that has happened. Any one have any ideas as to what is going on? Is this a random occurence I can hopefully expect to never see again?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 07:50 AM

Possibly bad hardware. If it's bad software, it should go away upon reboot. If it happens again, do a cold reboot (shutdown, unplug, then start up). If the problem persists after reboot, a visit to Apple may be in order. If not, could be a corrupted video driver.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2007, 07:40 PM

Wasn't there a big problem with blue tint on the MacBook awhile back? Could this be the same problem?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

snowcake  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 12:00 AM

hmm...i didn't know about that. thanks for mentioning it.

Shrinker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 06:40 PM

I have used a great many iBooks over the years. Video problems were very common in the 600 and 700 MHz books. Apple recalled these and replaced the logic boards on many. The problem is with the connection on the BGA to the logic board. See MaxFixit for more info. I'm not sure that the blue overlay is due to this problem, however. I would suspect a bad video chip. You probably should take it in to Apple if it's still under warantee. The video proiblems on the iBooks caused lines to appear on the screens or the screen to go black. I've never heard of this with a MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules