Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Migration assitant questions

Migration assitant questions
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 06:26 PM

So I have my powermac G4 here and I just got my macbook pro. I'd like to use migration assistant to transfer everything but applications. So here are my questions:
-Will migration assistant move my itunes library and playlists?
-Will migration assistant move my iphoto library and albums?
-Will it move my safari bookmarks?
-Will it move my contact lists and mail settings+my actual mail and folders?
-Will it move my folders and put them in the same location?

Also do I just plug in a firewire cable from one computer to the other and boot up migration assistant or do I need to boot one of the computers into target disk mode? and if so which one?

Thanks for any help,
-Eli.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 06:35 PM

In order:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
Restart the G4, hold down the letter "T" until you see the bouncing Target mode icon.
Connect the two with the Firewire cable, launch Migration Assistant.
Enjoy!

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks a bunch. I definitely will enjoy having a faster machine, I just need to find a usage for the G4.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 06:37 PM

Good point from the CAT, don't set up an account on the new Mac. The Migration Assistant will try to bring over the entire account, user name, short name and all.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 06:37 PM

Oh, Lordy, another time warp thread!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
So I have my powermac G4 here and I just got my macbook pro. I'd like to use migration assistant to transfer everything but applications. So here are my questions:
-Will migration assistant move my itunes library and playlists?
-Will migration assistant move my iphoto library and albums?
-Will it move my safari bookmarks?
-Will it move my contact lists and mail settings+my actual mail and folders?
-Will it move my folders and put them in the same location?

Also do I just plug in a firewire cable from one computer to the other and boot up migration assistant or do I need to boot one of the computers into target disk mode? and if so which one?

Thanks for any help,
-Eli.
Yes to all of your questions, and you put your PowerMac into TDM by holding the T key on boot and hooking your PowerMac into your MBP. If you haven't already used your new MBP, you should get migration assistant on 1st boot. If you have already set up your MacBook Pro, then use Migration Assistant from the Utilities folder.

Enjoy your new Mac, btw
Signature depreciated.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 06:50 PM

I already set up an account on the new mac, I just want to transfer my data, not the actual account. Can I do that?

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2007, 07:02 PM

Migration Assistant basically duplicates/copies all your settings, etc. If you don't want to continue using that mail account, you simply have to deactivate it after transferring your files. Deleting that account will also delete the mails associated to that particular account (e. g Sent or Inbox). So make sure to deactivate it by going to the Account Prefs and unticking the first checkbox in the Advanced tab.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 07:09 PM

The mail account isn't what I'm asking about. The above posters have made it sound like by using migration assistant that it will copy my account and I will just have a second account on my new machine, which is NOT what I want. Am I able to copy everything but applications and my account? (AKA just the data and settings)

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2007, 07:25 PM

Yes, you will be able to do that.
I don't quite understand what you mean by `copying your data and settings, but not your account'. Your account are your settings and your data.

So perhaps let's explain it like this: if you use Migration Assistant and choose to move your data and settings, you will be able to log in as you do now. The background image will be the same, your Exposé keyboard shortcuts, all your files are exactly where they are now on your old system. If you choose to, you can also transfer your applications. It will not duplicate a new account on your new machine.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yes, you will be able to do that.
I don't quite understand what you mean by `copying your data and settings, but not your account'. Your account are your settings and your data.

So perhaps let's explain it like this: if you use Migration Assistant and choose to move your data and settings, you will be able to log in as you do now. The background image will be the same, your Exposé keyboard shortcuts, all your files are exactly where they are now on your old system. If you choose to, you can also transfer your applications. It will not duplicate a new account on your new machine.
So my account on my new machine has a different name and a different password, will it retain that or will the account change to my old name and password that is on my current G4?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 07:42 PM

I think you jumped the gun by making an account on the new machine. The Migration Assistant will not pull your existing account into your new account. Here is what to do: Make yet a third account, call it something stupid like "test" with admin privileges. Log into it and delete the new account on the new Mac. Run Migration Assistant, that will pull over your existing G4 account. Log into that account and delete Test. Now you will have two machines with identical user accounts. You just have to figure out what to do with the G4.

Edit: after reading your recent post, you will be fine pulling over your G4 account onto the new Mac. You will have two accounts on the new machine, so you can delete the first one if there isn't anything worth keeping in it. If you have, then you will have a bit of an organizational problem.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 07:52 PM

So will there be a second account created or will it change the account I have on there now?

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2007, 07:52 PM

So my account on my new machine has a different name and a different password, will it retain that or will the account change to my old name and password that is on my current G4?
No, same user name, same password, same everything.
If you want a different password, you can change that after transfer. Ditto for the computer name.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2007, 01:37 PM

Well this is just great. My mac which is a G3 with a G4 chip cannot boot into target disk mode. If I put my hard drive in another machine will I be able to use TDM and transfer all my files? Or is there another way for me to transfer everythign via firewire without booting into TDM?

OreoCookie
Jul 4, 2007, 02:12 PM

If I put my hard drive in another machine will I be able to use TDM and transfer all my files?
Yes.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yes.
Thanks.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

One last question, can I run migration assistant and copy everything from a firewire external hard drive (if it has a clone of my system drive)?

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2007, 05:51 PM

Yes.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 05:52 PM

If I understand you correctly, you can clone your drive to an external drive. Then you can use Migration Assistant to pull that data on to another machine.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 06:48 PM

Alright, thanks again everybody.

Forum Links
Forum Rules