Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie Recommendation: Coraline

Movie Recommendation: Coraline
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2010, 12:19 PM

Creepy. This movie does an amazing job at recreating the stuff nightmares are made of. It's moody and very atmospheric. The story, characters, script, etc... are all good. The imagery is pretty darn creepy, so i wouldn't recommend any children watch it. The pacing is akin to art house films, there's lots of character development going on.

As a fan of stop motion animation, i definitely recommend this movie, not only for the amazing spectacle, but a great story and moral (kind of simplistic message, but the execution is amazing).

Enjoy!
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 01:37 PM

I found it a very beautiful, masterfully animated movie, but I expected it to be slightly less geared towards children.

I can enjoy a kid's movie, but the story pacing and character development is all tailored towards young kids with short attention spans. I find movies of this nature slightly annoying because I expect certain things to get fleshed out, and they never do in order to hold the audience.

On its own merits, I give it a B+, for a curmudgeon like me I give it a C.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 01:39 PM

How much nudity?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2010, 04:11 PM

Instant classic. Pure entertainment, intelligence and thought-provoking themes. In Coraline's alternate universe, the "perfect" version of the world turns out to be hollow and ersatz, while the 'real' world is difficult and painful. But Coraline learns that she's not just a boat tossed on a sea, powerless to change her situation. Her actions can impact her own happiness. This is a big lesson for a kid: responsibility for your life and happiness is your own.
Of course a seven year old isn't going to leave the theater with a newly found existential understanding of life, but how great to give him exposure to big ideas, especially in an entertaining form like an animated movie. Coraline as a character is so fun, an unlikely heroine that kids should relate to and to learn from. Children better watch it instead the random 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie' of the year.

BTW, if anyone missed the twenty-six alphabet poster cards, grab them here. You can set a nice screen saver out of it.

How much nudity?
now that's creepy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I'm in.

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2010, 04:40 PM

Those button eyes, brrrr.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN