Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does 64-bit booting require new printer drivers?

Does 64-bit booting require new printer drivers?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2009, 08:26 AM

I finally got my C500N color laser working again and then had to jump through some hoops to make it work with Snow Leopard and it brings me to this question:

None of my machines at home support 64-bit booting (CDs not C2Ds). When I get a new 27" iMac and try to use it in 64bit mode, will I need 64bit drivers for my printer or will I be able to tell SL to use the old 32bit drivers?

Getting the Lexmark C500N to work with OSX was a major pain, even 3 years ago when it was new. Now Lexmark has dropped support beyond Leopard. A cunning individual figured out how to make the Leopard drivers work with Snow Leopard, but I am continuing to look to the future.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 15, 2009 at 07:22 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 01:14 PM

If the printer drivers have a 32-bit kernel extension then you won't be able to boot the 64-bit kernel.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2009, 01:24 PM

I don't know any printers that are kernel extensions. Kernel extensions are for things like USB, Firewire, certain PCI cards, various NICs, etc. IOW, for classes of devices, but usually not for the devices themselves, esp. USB devices like your printer. If you use your printer via Ethernet all your kernel needs is the ability to use TCP/IP.

The various printer drivers that provide connectivity and additional functionality do not reside in the kernel.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 02:10 PM

Many printer drivers rely on kernel extensions. I've got Canon, HP and Epson extensions for the printers in my labs.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 02:15 PM

I downloaded the driver for your Lexmark and it does not have any kernel extensions. You will not be prevented from booting the 64-bit kernel by your printer.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Many printer drivers rely on kernel extensions. I've got Canon, HP and Epson extensions for the printers in my labs.
Really, what for? Additional functionality?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 02:27 PM

I don't know. I didn't write the damn things.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2009, 03:22 PM

Can you give me an example of a printer that includes a kernel extension?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2009, 03:54 PM

HP LaserJets, Canon PIXMA Pro 9000, Epson Stylus Photo R1900 and R2400.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2009, 04:07 PM

I stand corrected.

I installed the R1900 driver and while I couldn't find its kext file, I did find some generic vendor specific kexts... I suspect that these are for some sort of low level notification of some sort, because I can't wrap my head around why a kernel extension would be needed for a basic print job.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2009, 08:00 AM

I think I misworded my question.

IF I boot into 64bit, WILL I need 64bit printer drivers or will the 32bit ones work (I guess that's assuming there is no kexts involved)?

I guess I'm not sure if a 64bit booted mac still run 32bit SW.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 11:00 AM

If no kexts are involved (IOW you printer drivers don't rely on kexts), booting SL in 64-bit mode should have no influence.

32-bit apps run with SL booted in 64-bit mode and vice-versa. Booting SL in 64-bit mode is required to use more than 32 GB RAM or to run 64-bit kexts, but not to run 64-bit apps.
( Last edited by Simon; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM. )

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2009, 06:14 PM

OK. I should be good until Snow Tiger or whatever OSX 10.7 is called breaks my printer support.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2009, 06:54 PM

-HI-

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2009, 07:22 PM

They were, but the C500N isn't on the list to begin with. Like I said, it was a pain to make work in the first place and it was still a struggle with Snow Leopard.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 AM

>> C500N

Perhaps that particular model isn't the wisest choice for Mac owners to purchase.
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 03:43 PM

Here's a post on Apple's forums by someone who claims to have gotten it to work by adding the old Leopard drivers, changing their permissions, and using the HP JetDirect option.

I don't have a C500N, so I can't verify for myself that this works, but hopefully it will help you.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
>> C500N

Perhaps that particular model isn't the wisest choice for Mac owners to purchase.
It wasn't in 2006 when I bought it!
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Here's a post on Apple's forums by someone who claims to have gotten it to work by adding the old Leopard drivers, changing their permissions, and using the HP JetDirect option.

I don't have a C500N, so I can't verify for myself that this works, but hopefully it will help you.
It works. I had to use it. I was elated, but realized all our machines in the house are 32bit SL. When I buy a new iMac 27" Quad, I will want to try 64bit and I was concerned I'd be back where I was twice before.

It sounds like I'll be OK, but I guess I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules