Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Prius owners here? I'm considering

Any Prius owners here? I'm considering (Page 2)
andi*pandi
Aug 14, 2014, 06:30 PM

You don't have to settle for whatever trim package the dealer/manufacturer offer. Adding leather (and heated seat combo) is not a hard or overly expensive.

akent35
Banned
Aug 14, 2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I'm going to also hold my tongue on someone judging leathette from a '75 Olds. But I actually prefer cloth as a rule. Not as easy to clean, but not nearly as hot in the summer, and not nearly as freezing cold in the winter.
Don't care what you think about that. But, cloth is definitely the cheap way to go. Myself, I want my cars to have some class, and thus insist on leather seats. I guess you think otherwise.

Also, I've never had an issue with leather seats being hot in the summer, or freezing cold in the winter. "Cold" seats are easily cured by heated front seats, but I suspect you would not want that also.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 05:23 AM

Thin, cheap leather (which is what's in most low to mid tier autos) is much worse than cloth. There's not much that's classy about it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Don't care what you think about that. But, cloth is definitely the cheap way to go. Myself, I want my cars to have some class, and thus insist on leather seats. I guess you think otherwise.

Also, I've never had an issue with leather seats being hot in the summer, or freezing cold in the winter. "Cold" seats are easily cured by heated front seats, but I suspect you would not want that also.
We have a Ford Fusion with the "leather" package. The other vehicles (Subarus) have had cloth seats. I always get heated seats - I see you're in Seattle so you probably don't get too cold there, but in most of Canada heated seats and remote start option are beloved by most people. In any event, the Fusion's "leather" seats, other than being easier to clean, are uncomfortably cold getting in to drive to work in the winter, at least for the 3 or 4 minutes til the seat warmers kick in, and get way hotter in the summertime (they are black). And only a few car makers offer rear seat warmers, so the rear seats are always colder no matter what.

As for class...I suspect that becomes a concern after you spend a decent bit more than 30 grand. My ride is supposed to carry my mountain bike, the kayak, various supplies and baby gear. Class optional.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 12:24 PM

We have a Ford Fusion with the "leather" package. The other vehicles (Subarus) have had cloth seats. I always get heated seats - I see you're in Seattle so you probably don't get too cold there, but in most of Canada heated seats and remote start option are beloved by most people. In any event, the Fusion's "leather" seats, other than being easier to clean, are uncomfortably cold getting in to drive to work in the winter, at least for the 3 or 4 minutes til the seat warmers kick in, and get way hotter in the summertime (they are black). And only a few car makers offer rear seat warmers, so the rear seats are always colder no matter what.
At times, it does get cold enough for the heated seats to be useful.

Also, I keep our cars in the garage, and have hardly any issues at all with the seats being too hot or too cold. And, even if they are, one can let the car warm up for a few minutes and turn on either the heated front seats in the winter, or the air conditioning in the summer.

As for class...I suspect that becomes a concern after you spend a decent bit more than 30 grand. My ride is supposed to carry my mountain bike, the kayak, various supplies and baby gear. Class optional.
Our 1988 Honda Accord was $16,500, and our 1996 Toyota Camry was $25,000. Both of them had leather seats.

The price point is not the reason. My wife and I just insist on leather seats, and it also is a matter of class. For some folks, class (no matter what) is optional, for others, it's mandatory. To each his/her own!

OreoCookie
Aug 15, 2014, 12:55 PM

Don't care what you think about that. But, cloth is definitely the cheap way to go.
Cloth doesn't have to be cheap. In the 1970s and 1980s Mercedes outfitted their S class with velour seats or leather seats for the same price, because some customers preferred velours.

Velour got out of style, though (unless you're the pope). Quality doesn't have anything to do with the material. As some have said, quality cloth seats may be preferable in terms of durability and looks than cheap leather or fake leather seats, and the insistence to have leather seats standard just means you'll probably get cheap leather rather than quality material. Personally, cheap leather seats have the same appeal to me as a cheap knock-off Gucci bag has to some women: if you can immediately see it's a fake, what's the point? In Europe, leather seats are an expensive option and it shows: the options and interior of even European cars are different than those you get in Europe. A colleague of mine bought a nicely equipped Audi A3 in the US, and you could immediately tell that the interior is not as high in quality than what you'd get in Europe. It's not just the leather, also the plastics used are different.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Cloth doesn't have to be cheap. In the 1970s and 1980s Mercedes outfitted their S class with velour seats or leather seats for the same price, because some customers preferred velours.

Velour got out of style, though (unless you're the pope). Quality doesn't have anything to do with the material. As some have said, quality cloth seats may be preferable in terms of durability and looks than cheap leather or fake leather seats, and the insistence to have leather seats standard just means you'll probably get cheap leather rather than quality material. Personally, cheap leather seats have the same appeal to me as a cheap knock-off Gucci bag has to some women: if you can immediately see it's a fake, what's the point? In Europe, leather seats are an expensive option and it shows: the options and interior of even European cars are different than those you get in Europe. A colleague of mine bought a nicely equipped Audi A3 in the US, and you could immediately tell that the interior is not as high in quality than what you'd get in Europe. It's not just the leather, also the plastics used are different.
The leather seats in our vehicle are neither fake nor cheap! As I stated before (man, when are folks going to learn to read!), we have never had any issues with leather seats (never been cheap leather, nor fake leather) in any of our cars that we have owned since 1988. Our 2005 CLK 320 is now over 9 years old, and the leather seats still look brand new. And, the ones in the Camry are fine also.

And, as I have stated numerous times, when we get leather seats, it is standard on the vehicle we are buying, not after market. Additionally, at least for the vehicles we have owned, I have never seen any negative comments about the leather seats, both in terms of being cheap and/or fake. Just the opposite is stated.

Finally, your Gucchi comparison is about as useless as t**s on a bull! That has never been the case at all for us. If people want to not exhibit (nor desire) some class in their lives, well and good. My wife and I do!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2014, 01:42 PM

This is great.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This is great.
I think it's classy.

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think it's classy.
Yes, the discussion is classy, but you are certainly not!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 02:01 PM

Yes, the discussion is classy, but you are certainly not!
How do you know whether I have leather seats or not?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 02:40 PM

Our 1988 Honda Accord was $16,500, and our 1996 Toyota Camry was $25,000. Both of them had leather seats.

The price point is not the reason. My wife and I just insist on leather seats, and it also is a matter of class.
I...I just feel as though something is being lost in translation, here.

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 02:53 PM

How do you know whether I have leather seats or not?

Once again, a classless post from a classless "person".

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post

My G-wagon has that type of velour interior, it's pretty snazzy. It's been called the Huggy-mobile.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 02:58 PM

I...I just feel as though something is being lost in translation, here.
Here is what you stated, prior to that post by me:

"As for class...I suspect that becomes a concern after you spend a decent bit more than 30 grand."

You explicitly stated a decent bit more than 30 grand. I simply pointed out that the two vehicles I mentioned were less than 30 grand, but had leather seats as standard equipment.

If I was to try and shop for a vehicle that was less than 30 grand, then I would still require it to have the 4 things I mentioned as standard equipment: Air Conditioning, Heated Front Seats, Leather Seats, and a V6 engine. But, I suspect that could be just about impossible.

And remember: my under $30,000 price point was AFTER our trade in of the 2001 BMW 525i. I was willing to spend even more, but the vehicle had to have the 4 things I mentioned as standard equipment for the vehicles I was considering. Neither the Lexus ES 350 sedan, nor the Mercedes E350 sedan satisfied that requirement. The Lexus lacked both Heated Front Seats and Leather seats, and the Mercedes lacked leather seats as standard equipment. Again, that analysis by me was for the vehicles I was considering.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 03:03 PM

You're overthinking it. I was more specifically talking about your particular use of the phrases "1988 Accord", "1996 Camry", "leather seats", and "it's a matter of class".

Edit: also, "tits on a bull"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 03:09 PM

Once again, a classless post from a classless "person".
Why is person in quotes? Do you think I'm a chatbot?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN

"chatbot"

akent35
Banned

You're overthinking it. I was more specifically talking about your particular use of the phrases "1988 Accord", "1996 Camry", "leather seats", and "it's a matter of class".

Edit: also, "tits on a bull"
Not over thinking. I was just responding to what you said, which was not correct (I believed I clarified that better with my post right above yours).

Also, I am not the one that changed that t**s on a bull.

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 03:12 PM

Why is person in quotes? Do you think I'm a chatbot?
No, I was just questioning whether you are a "person". But, I can see where you got confused, as here is what the definition of chatbot MAY mean:

"Chatterbot, a chatter robot is a type of conversational agent, a computer program designed to simulate an intelligent conversation with one or more human users via auditory or textual methods."

That would imply not being a person!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2014, 03:42 PM

You explicitly stated a decent bit more than 30 grand. I simply pointed out that the two vehicles I mentioned were less than 30 grand, but had leather seats as standard equipment.
You're getting yourself twisted up into knots here. What do you mean by "standard"? As in...the base (or only) option for seating material is leather? Or do you mean that leather has to be available from the manufacturer at certain trim levels? Or was that just a coincidence?

OreoCookie
Aug 15, 2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My G-wagon has that type of velour interior, it's pretty snazzy. It's been called the Huggy-mobile.
Is it an older model? I am curious when exactly it was discontinued, but I guess when the W140 S-class replaced the W126 S-class (time frame-wise). I'm sure if you are willing to pay for it, you can get velour seats now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 04:25 PM

No, I was just questioning whether you are a "person".
What else would I be?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2014, 04:29 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I am mesmerized by the letters is the background moving.

ghostOfCa$h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2014, 05:00 PM

<a void across the internet opens>
<vwoorm>

Hey guys, 'sup? What'd I miss? I heard there was a car thread in need.

Leather seats? Meh. Shiny red pleather is where it's at.

Priuses? Well, between that and an SUV...

Ham Sandwich
Aug 15, 2014, 08:06 PM

InB4akent35getsanotherthreadlocked

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghostOfCa$h View Post
<a void across the internet opens>
<vwoorm>

Hey guys, 'sup? What'd I miss? I heard there was a car thread in need.

Leather seats? Meh. Shiny red pleather is where it's at.

Priuses? Well, between that and an SUV...
Awesome. Welcome back.

-t

akent35
Banned
Aug 15, 2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
InB4akent35getsanotherthreadlocked
AnothernarrowmindedpostfromAnd.reg

akent35
Banned
Aug 16, 2014, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You're getting yourself twisted up into knots here. What do you mean by "standard"? As in...the base (or only) option for seating material is leather? Or do you mean that leather has to be available from the manufacturer at certain trim levels? Or was that just a coincidence?
No, I'm not. Obviously, you know very little about buying a car. Here is a simple (hopefully for you) enough explanation.

Some automobile manufacturers have certain models/trim levels which have optional equipment for different models as standard equipment. So, for example, the Camry comes in 3 trim lines: LE (the cheapest), SE, and XLE. For all standard variations of the first two, leather seats is an option, as are heated front seats. The same is true of the XLE with a 4 cylinder engine. But, for the XLE V6, leather seats and heated front seats are standard equipment.

The Honda Accord is another example. The EX-L V6 comes standard with leather seats and heated front seats. For all other Accord models/trim lines, leather seats and heated front seats are options.

And, the Mercedes E350 is another example. For the E350 2-door Coupe, leather seats are standard. But, for the E350 4-door sedan, leatherette seats (ugh!) are standard, and leather seats are an option.

Is that clear enough?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2014, 11:30 AM

This mornin I was thinking this thread was like having Ca$h around again.

And now... Ca$h is here!!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 12:27 PM

No, I'm not. Obviously, you know very little about buying a car.
That's why we need experts like you.

Please share more about your in-depth leatherette expertise.

-t

akent35
Banned
Aug 16, 2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's why we need experts like you.

Please share more about your in-depth leatherette expertise.

-t
Another person who can't read! My "in-depth leatherette experience" is only with the Oldsmobile I mentioned. But, I already mentioned seeing leatherette in a Mercedes E350 Sedan last summer (definitely made the car look cheap), and in both reviews and on some other car-related boards, leatherette was definitely "put down".

Now, oh dense one, if want more about my leather experiences (not only with just cars), that would make more sense to ask about. But, I doubt you'll understand that!

akent35
Banned
Aug 16, 2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
This mornin I was thinking this thread was like having Ca$h around again.

And now... Ca$h is here!!!

Seeing a post like that is a perfect example of someone that is narrow minded:

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 03:19 PM

Man, really?
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 05:26 PM

I don't know who he reminds me of, but his "style" is familiar.

A little bit like OAW.

-t

akent35
Banned
Aug 16, 2014, 05:43 PM

He reminds me of the character Tom Hanks played in "Forrest Gump" (this year ism the 20th anniversary of that excellent movie), and for what he said a couple of times:

"Stupid is as stupid does".

Yup, excellent imitation!

OreoCookie
Aug 16, 2014, 05:48 PM

I reckon the thread has run its course. We now know that the Prius is getting excellent gas mileage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules