Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes ID3 tag changes not sticking

iTunes ID3 tag changes not sticking
jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 10:55 AM

I've changed the ID3 tags in many of my mp3s (AAC files don't seem to have this problem). Some of them revert back if I delete the files from my library and then add them back.

Since all of my playlists are smart playlists, it's convenient to delete the entire library then add the music folders back every month or so to get rid of the dead links.

I've tried:
1. changing the tag info, then convert ID3 tags (in the advanced menu) to ID3 tag version 2.4. This worked for most mp3s, but for some the changes were not permanent.

2. first converting the tag to v. 2.4, then editing the tag info. This made no difference.

This is really annoying since there are so many errors from the CDDB (song titles, album names, genres, even the artist's name is spelled wrong in a few cases).

Is there someting wrong with these files? I can re-rip them if that will make a difference - but it will be tedious since there are quite a few that have this problem.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2003, 11:26 AM

it's convenient to delete the entire library then add the music folders back every month or so to get rid of the dead links.
Could you elaborate? What are the "music folders" you refer to? What "library" do you delete (& how?)

Clearly something you're doing here is screwy...
cpac

jtc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Could you elaborate? What are the "music folders" you refer to? What "library" do you delete (& how?)

Clearly something you're doing here is screwy...
My music is in 3 different folders (one each for AAC, mp3, and audio books). I delete the library by selecting all the songs in iTunes and pressing the delete key. I then drag each folder to the library to add them again.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 12:15 PM

I've had this problem with files that are really quicktime movies with mp3 sound tracks and not "true" mp3 files.

jtc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I've had this problem with files that are really quicktime movies with mp3 sound tracks and not "true" mp3 files.
That's a possibility. I'll check it out, thanks.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2003, 01:25 PM

Any reason you need to keep your files in those 3 folders, rather than letting iTunes manage the files for you directly?
cpac

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2003, 01:52 PM

Few things that can make the info not "stick"

1. old version of id3 tags (you said you fixed this though)
2. no id3 tag associated with the file (like a .mov, as wafffffffffffle pointed out)
3. you don't have write access to the files.

~BS

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2003, 02:36 PM

I've had this problem too. Try a third-party ID3 editor like MP3 Rage to fix your tags and that should do the trick.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

jtc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Any reason you need to keep your files in those 3 folders, rather than letting iTunes manage the files for you directly?
The HD on my iBook isn't big enough, so I keep some files on my FW drive.

I'll try mp3 rage if nothing else works. I've used it before - I just find it takes a long time to re-tag lots of files.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2003, 09:16 PM

I recently re-ripped all my cd's to AAC - but there were some apple provided mp3s that came with my mac i have kept and yes I cannot change those tags anymore with itunes and yes I have updated them to id3 2.4. also I have write permission on the files. only thing that worked was mp3rage. must be something to do with moving them around to differnt hard drives and using mp3rage on them in the past. who knows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules