Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Filemaker: Exporting Headers?

Filemaker: Exporting Headers?
-Q-
Dec 1, 2003, 11:56 PM

A group I work with conducted a survey using Filemaker Pro. They gotten good results and I'd like to export the data as a .csv file. I don't see how I can force Filemaker to export the headers of each data column. Searching help hasn't been productive. Any suggestions?

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 12:54 PM

Unfortunately, filemaker does not include headers in exports, except in one of the XML outputs. They assume that it is the data you are after, and you will already know the structure.

If you are using CSV, then you are probably going to a Windows application... you might want to install the ODBC drivers and download the data directly that way. ODBC doe allow for the "headers" to be matched up.

-Q-  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it the ODBC way and see how easy/difficult that is. I did find out if you export using the 'merge' file format, the headers are also included...

chadbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 12:23 AM

The merge format is indeed the csv format with column headers. Here's a trick; export to a merge file, but name it something lise export.csv instead of export.mer. Applications like Excel will then treat it as a standard csv file and be none the wiser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules