Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod

ipod
juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 01:35 AM

I guess this is the right place for ipod info...

I've finally decided to go out and buy an ipod. I'd like to buy the 15gb for $269 (with student discount), but it doesn't come with the remote or dock which makes it seem like a not-so-great deal. the 20gb is $100 more with the accesories but only 5gb more space... some sites still have the 30gb for only $20 more than the 20gb, and it comes with the accessories, but I'm not sure if it's an older, obsolete model.

questions:

why does the apple site not have the 30gb?

why is there such a small price difference between the 20 and 30gb?

do I really need the dock/remote if I really wanted to save money and get the 15gb?

which generations are the 15, 20, and 30gb? the apple site says the 15gb is new, but I seem to remember a 15gb coming out a while back.

thanks a lot in advance

eunitek's ipod page w/ the 30gb:

http://eunitek.com/eunitek/index.cfm...TOKEN=28604588
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 02:04 AM

I've never had the iPod Dock, so don't know what I'm missing there. As for the remote, I found it useless. I had one w/my 1st Gen. iPod (bought it separately, of course). When I upgraded to a 3rd Gen., 10 GB device, I didn't buy the new remote and don't miss it. There was somethin' funny with the length of the cords and I just found it generally to be a pain in the ass. You don't really need it for everyday use.

The remote is handy if you have your iPod in a case and clipped on your belt or in a backpack or whatever and just wanna quickly change the volume or advance tracks, however. Guess the answer depends on how you'll use your iPod.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by juusan:
why does the apple site not have the 30gb?
Because Apple no longer sells it. It was replaced by the 40GB model a little while back.

why is there such a small price difference between the 20 and 30gb?
I'm pretty sure it's just because it's no longer in production, and the retailers are trying to get rid of their stock. But don't quote me on that.

do I really need the dock/remote if I really wanted to save money and get the 15gb?
That's something only you can answer really. But I'd say if you want to save the money, and you can't think of a reason you'd really use the dock and remote, go for the 15GB model. I have a 30GB model, and I used to use the dock at home (until I got a case for it), and just a cable at work. The dock is nice but not necessary. As for the remote, I use it when I travel. So I don't have to be fiddling with the iPod as much. And my MDR-EX71 headphones solves the cable length problem because the cable to the headphones can be shortened.

which generations are the 15, 20, and 30gb? the apple site says the 15gb is new, but I seem to remember a 15gb coming out a while back.
I believe Apple's last offerings were 10, 20 an 30GB (I may be wrong here). The 10(?), 20 and 30GB iPods are 3rd Gen. So are the current 15, 20 and 40GB models, they are just larger sizes.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 06:06 AM

1st Gen (mechanical scroll wheel, mechanical buttons, FW port), original lineup:
-5GB

1st Gen (mechanical scroll wheel, mechanical buttons, FW port), second lineup:
-5GB
-10GB

2nd Gen (touch-sensitive scroll wheel, mechanical buttons, FW port):
-10GB
-20GB
(Note: 5GB 1st-generation iPods continued to be sold while 2nd-Gen iPods were sold)

3rd Gen (touch-sensitive scroll wheel and buttons, dock connector), original lineup:
-10GB
-15GB
-30GB

3rd Gen (touch-sensitive scroll wheel and buttons, dock connector), second lineup:
-10GB
-20GB
-40GB

3rd Gen (touch-sensitive scroll wheel and buttons, dock connector), third lineup:
-15GB
-20GB
-40GB
-4GB iPod mini

See http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more....=1362_0_10_0_C for model numbers.

But the upshot is, all iPods with the dock connector are equally modern, they vary only by hard drive size, included accessories, and thickness (the 30/40GB models are thicker than the 10/15/20GB models). All iPods with the dock connector can have the latest firmware loaded on them, bringing them to the same functionality as any iPod you can get from Apple right now.

tooki

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 11:19 AM

If you don't need the extra space, save your money and skip the dock and remote. I used the remote a few times - it's a pain, it's way too long and always getting in the way. The dock is pretty much useless.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 01:22 PM

I can't disagree more.

The dock stays tethered to my tower, the iPod lives in it and when I want to go, it's charged and ready to go -- I just pull the iPod out and go.

And then, when I do want music on the run, the iPod lives in a pocket in my messenger bag, and the remote is clipped to the strap of the bag (the cable runs through some of loops the strap is attached to, to keep the cable in place) at perfect height.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules