Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice sought on second system...

Advice sought on second system...
AndrewP
May 15, 2005, 09:28 PM

Hi All,

I have a 15" Rev D Powerbook that I use as my primary portable system. I'm looking for something a little smaller and lighter for the times that I don't want to be lugging around the big 15. For the most part I'll be running typical internet apps (Safari, Mail, Firefox, iChat, etc) with a little bit of MS Office as well as the occasional DVD movie. Since I have the 15 as well as a G5 PM I don't have a need for external video or exceptional graphics performance. I'm just looking for something solid and reliable for travel and the times that I decide to go and hide out at Starbucks.

The prices on the current 12" PB w/Combo Drive are pretty good through Amazon ($1349), but the iBook is a lot better ($899). As far as I can tell (given the current generations) the only thing that I (given my needs) will be giving up with the iBook is Bluetooth and the Sudden Motion Sensor. I don't think that I'll miss the CPU speed difference, graphics performance, or hard drive size. I have a number of spare SO-DIMMs laying around, so the memory won't be an issue either.

Given the $450 price difference which way should I go?

I'm also considering a previous generation iBook or PB (Rev C), but given the prices that they are still fetching on the used market I don't see a point in saving a few bucks on an unknown quantity.

I welcome all thoughts and suggestions...

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 10:45 PM

The iBook has a different keyboard that I like less than the PB. Check out the difference at an Apple store.

And it has a slower HD -- the PB12 models come with 5400 rpm models.

I have found the iBooks to be slower, MHz to MHz, than a corresponding PB (with the same HD installed).

You gain in battery life and durability.

If you REALLY find the PB15 too large to travel, and you have a G5, then sell the PB15 for a PB12.

AndrewP  (op)
May 15, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker

If you REALLY find the PB15 too large to travel, and you have a G5, then sell the PB15 for a PB12.

I've been though this little exercise before and have now owned a Rev C 12", Rev C 15, Rev D 12, and Rev D 15 .... I need the PC card slot in the 15" for the Verizon and AT&T wireless modems that I use all of the time. If I know that I'm going to be spending time in (or near) a place that has WiFi then I would be happy to dump the extra weight and forego the slot. Also, if I'm doing actual work then the extra screen space on the 15 is nice. For personal stuff or lightweight work I don't mind the smaller screen as much.

I like the 12" PB a lot, but am not sure if I can justify the cost difference.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 01:10 AM

I have the Rev. C 12" Powerbook and love it, and I also had a couple of iBooks. I love my little AlBook, but for your uses, the iBook seems ideal. Yes, you give up the PB's wonderful keyboard, but in an auxiliary computer, the iBook's is certainly more than acceptable. In fact, if I hadn't needed DVI out for my external monitor (which you won't be needing, according to your post), I'd not have spent the extra $200 (at the time) on the Powerbook, even with its extra oomph over the iBook. And the iBook is more durable and has greater Airport range and battery life, so for a road companion, it's probably superior to the PB even without the price difference.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 08:25 AM

Yeah, given your uses and the other machines you have for heavy work, I'll put another vote down for the iBook. Maybe you can even find a cheap refurb.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 04:49 AM

I'd sell the 15 and get a PB12.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

AndrewP  (op)
May 17, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
I'd sell the 15 and get a PB12.
Funny, I returned a 4 day old PB12 to the Apple store to get the 15. Most of the time I need the added features that the 15 offers (PC Card slot and larger screen).

I'm just looking for a system to use when I want to travel light and am willing to give up those added features.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 11:51 AM

the iBook gets better battery life and better airport reception. Plus the casing is sturdier than the aluminum and you won't have to handle it so carefully. I would go with the iBook.

AndrewP  (op)
May 17, 2005, 12:00 PM

How much better is the battery life on the iBook 12" vs. the Powerbook 12"?

skelotar
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 12:38 PM

i would say get the ibook, because the powerbooks will be being upgraded @ some point in the future .. a 12" screen is a 12" screen. You're not trying to get performance out of a 12" laptop. You want portability and for that matter, they run all the same apps.
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

AndrewP  (op)
May 17, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by skelotar
i would say get the ibook, because the powerbooks will be being upgraded @ some point in the future .. a 12" screen is a 12" screen. You're not trying to get performance out of a 12" laptop. You want portability and for that matter, they run all the same apps.

The only thing giving me pause on the iBook is that it's slightly larger than the PB (especially in depth) and slightly heavier. Well that, and the keyboard.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 03:14 PM

ibook. you will especially appreciate that it will take road rash much better. i find it more enjoyable than my old tibook to carry around because it is smaller and lighter.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 07:15 AM

I'm faced with this exactly this decision too (and am even vaguely considering a non-Apple, sub-notebook ... see my locked thread ). I have a 15" PB, but am leaning towards the 12"PB for my travels. The iBook is definitely great value, and probably more robust, but the 12"PB really is just a nicer machine to use: is a shade lighter, and smaller (this is actually quite noticeable), not to mention faster, and has a better KB. I also will probably get it "maxed" out (Superdrive, 100GB disk) ... which the 12" iBook can't reach.

I would like to know more about the battery life on the 12"PB ... I'm sure it's a little less than the ibook, but how long do you 1.5GHz PB owners get ??

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 01:31 PM

I have the 12 inch PB rev. d 1.5 ghz, and with wifi turned on and just surging the web, I get about a good 3 hour 30 - 45 minutes. And you're right, the keyboard is so much better than the Ibooks and I feel it's alot more sturdier than the Ibooks. For travel, you'll love the small foot print and the lightweight, but coming from a 15 inch to a 12 inch, you'll feel cramped with the screen, but hey, it's only for a secondary machine right? so go for the PB.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

TiDual
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info .. 3.5 hrs is a little short, but acceptable (and could be stretched, without WiFi and some care on the settings). I'm playing on a borrowed (rev.A) 12" now, and you're right ... it does take getting used to the small screen, when used to the 15". You're right that that added "compactness" does make it feel a little sturdier than the iBook (not saying it's more robust ... the iBook wins there).

But I'm now leaning towards really getting it as a true secondary machine to my 15", and probably getting the more basic model, rather than trying to replace the 15". Also, I'm convinced there'll be an update before the end of the year. The 12" just screams to be made into a wide-screen format system ... would be great then, for watching the odd DVD.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 04:27 PM

My sister's iBook with wifi gets about 4 hr. 15-30 minutes easy. Not to mention her wifi range is ridiculously better than my 15" Powerbook which cost twice her iBook.

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 04:59 PM

the ibook is less power consuming than the powerbooks, so granted it gets a few minutes more. Plus, the PB is sturdier in my opinion than the Ibook, it looks more flimsy. And if it's a secondary machine, you don't have to max it out and save some money.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules