Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" to 12", will I be sorry?

15" to 12", will I be sorry?
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 01:55 AM

So, with my recent financial blunders, it appears, if my math is correct, I could sell my PB, have enough left for a 12" and most of my tuition. How bad is photoshopping on a 12"? I plan to eventually add a 20" LCD, but this would not be for a bit, so for a while photoshop would have to be done on the 12". I like the idea of a smaller laptop for around home use, and at school I wouldn't have to take up the entire table. I don't "think" I would miss the real estate, but I am not sure. Anyone do this before and not regret it?

.tony. .riot.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 03:51 AM

This 12" PB is my first laptop, but I think it really depends on the size of the projects you work on when you use Photoshop. Most of the Photoshop work I do is editing pictures and website/flyer/cd cover art. I went from working on a desktop PC with dual 17" monitors, to working on a 12" PB.

At first my plan was to ge the PB to be able to work on websites while I'm on campus and since in a week I'm traveling for three months, I couldn't be without a computer because I need to finish some websites and stuff. Now that I have it, I'm currently sitting in the desk with the PB on top, and the two monitors behind it and I don't even bother in hooking up one of the 17" LCD monitors to the PB. I just love every bit of it, and I don't miss having the big monitors that much because the type of work that I do in Photoshop doesn't really require for me o have such a big working area.

I don't know if I helped at all, hopefully I did.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 12:10 PM

obviously an external monitor will be loads better to photoshop in, but you can use the 12" screen as well, it wont be ideal but it will work.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 01:07 PM

I did the opposite a couple years ago, I when from a 12" iBook to a 15" powerbook. Take aside the performance gain, I enjoyed the 15" for only about 1 year. Now that I bought a 20" LCD, I really wish to go back to a 12" form factor. There are several reasons: 1) If you are gonna get an external LCD, may as well get a smaller form factor for portability and space-saving. 2) Save a lot of more money for the pretty external LCD.

In terms of photoshop experience, 12" is tough... I used to ran out of space on the 1024x768 resolution. But it is a matter of adjustment. Because I now ran out of space on the 15" resolution after being spoiled for the first two months imemdiately after I owned the 15" pb. Same thing goes as the 20" LCD. So I am now eyeing at the 30"... [maybe after I win the lottery] =D

b11051973
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 03:51 PM

I have a 867Mhz 12" PB. I love the size of the thing. Every once in a while, I wish it was a 15 incher. I've been thinking lately that the 867 is really on it's last leg. I've also got a 1.42 Ghz Mac mini and that thing is noticably faster. I'd love to get a 1.5Ghz 12" PB with a 5400 rpm hard drive.

I keep thinking I need to wait for a G5 or a dual core G4. I'm getting sick of waiting.

tie
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 05:46 PM

Here's an NY Times photographer's perspective on the tradeoff:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1183

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 01:32 AM

Going from my 12" iBook at 1024x768 to an older display at 832x624 felt a little cramped. But if you force yourself, eventually, you adapt, you get used to it, unless you keep spoiling yourself with something better, then it just causes frustration.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

wilsonng
Senior User
May 21, 2005, 11:42 AM

using Panther/Tiger's Expose feature helps with window management. I do some database work on my 12" and I also like the ability to hook up to my 19" external monitor to give me more breathing room.

It's like anything you do... you adapt to your workflow. It may not be the most suitable to be using the 1024 x 768 but it can be done.

I love lugging around my 12". I got so used to its small size that I love it! Last month, I opted to switch to my older 15" PB to carry around and I truly missed the portability of the 12". The 15" just seemed too big for me now.

Now if only Apple would come out with a 13.3" widescreen PB with FW800, that would be my favorite compromise.

What it really boils down to is: "what do you do when you're on the road?

If you are away from your desk and you need to use programs that use alot of screen space (Photoshop, Final Cut, databasing, GoLive, Dreamweaver, etc.) then the 15" would be better.

But if your roadwork is not so demanding on screen space (MS Office, e-mail, internet) then the 12" would be the better choice. You can always hook up to an external monitor to get dual-monitor spanning to use your screen hog programs.

My lifestyle requires me to do most of my screen hogs with an external monitor. When I'm on the road, it is mostly to catch up on reading e-mails, sorting through my DevonThink database for information snippets, Microsoft Office work, and the occassional game.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 21, 2005, 12:29 PM

I had a 12" iBook. I now have a 15" PowerBook.

No question, I'm going back to a smaller laptop, when the PowerBooks get updated with something substantial. I really don't like lugging around the 15 incher. Taking it to work is bad enough, but taking it on a business trip is even worse. I hate travelling with a 15" laptop.

Mind you I currently have a Cube with 17" LCD at home, soon to be replaced by a 20" iMac.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 01:12 PM

Well, if you're looking for a trade, I have a 12" 1.5GHz and I wouldn't trade you
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:36 AM

i have a 15 incher because i decided i need the screen space (because i don't have enough space for an external 20 incher)...
iamwhor3hay

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by bimmerphile
Well, if you're looking for a trade, I have a 12" 1.5GHz and I wouldn't trade you

on a totally OT moment, my cousin's name is Chris Olson

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 07:56 PM

if you're coming from a 15 inch to a 12 inch, you're going to feel cramped doing work on the screen. However using an external monitor saves you that feeling. Plus if you travel alot, the 12 inch just fits perfectly everywhere, whether on the plane or on your lap, the footprint and weight aren't such a burden. I've had friends with a 15 inch PB and it encompassed the whole table they were sitting on, while the 12 inch fits nicely on a standard school desk without any overlay. I've been to library on my 12 inch, and I've gotten used to it, and I think had I bought the 15 inch, it would've been a big foot print in classrooms and even my messenger bag since I don't like to carry anything big ( even if it's thin and a bit light, it's still a bigger footprint than the 12 inch).
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ero2
on a totally OT moment, my cousin's name is Chris Olson
As is my uncle's
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
May 24, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by ero2
So, with my recent financial blunders, it appears, if my math is correct, I could sell my PB, have enough left for a 12" and most of my tuition. How bad is photoshopping on a 12"? I plan to eventually add a 20" LCD, but this would not be for a bit, so for a while photoshop would have to be done on the 12". I like the idea of a smaller laptop for around home use, and at school I wouldn't have to take up the entire table. I don't "think" I would miss the real estate, but I am not sure. Anyone do this before and not regret it?
I use a 12 inch powerbook and bought a Ti867 to check if a 15 inch Powerbook might be better.
I sold the Ti again and kept the 12 inch. If you are interested in the detailed reasons, please read my thread here .

The only reason that let me hesitate a little bit was the difference in the screen quality. The 15 inch screen is gorgous compared to the 12 inch screen: brighter (compare a floodlight to a candle :o), more contrast, better colors, better viewing angle.
But in everyday use the 12inch screen is alright. The compact formfactor (if you carry it around), the improved keyboard and the easier typing (because it is smaller the forearms don't lie on the palmrest any more) are the real benefits. A larger screen cannot replace these ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules