Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm a Wimp! Ugrading iBook HD...

I'm a Wimp! Ugrading iBook HD...
smaffei
Banned
Jun 26, 2000, 04:40 PM

I don't want to violate the warranty on iBook by upgrading the Hard Drive myself (it has to be the most complicated upgrade procedure I've ever seen). Is there a legitimate way for me to upgrade the capacity of the HD via an Authorized Apple Service center?

Anyway, with LCD screens, maintaining a warranty is a good thing.

[This message has been edited by smaffei (edited 06-26-2000).]

Damien
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2000, 09:59 PM

You're right to be concerned about voiding your warranty.

If all you're doing is upgrading your hard drive, then it's pretty unlikely you'd void your warranty. I would make sure that the work is done by an authorized Apple Service Center for cover in case something serious happens.

I've upgraded a couple hard drives in iBooks. While the work done wasn't billed as Apple Warranty, it didn't violate the iBook's warranty in any way.

smaffei  (op)
Banned
Jun 27, 2000, 12:51 AM

Yeah, well, taking apart the whole machine by myself definitely falls under "voiding the warranty."

I thought Apple was directly servicing the iBooks (i.e. Apple Authrorized Service centers just shipping iBook repairs out to Apple). Has this changed?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2000, 10:07 AM

Nope. For most repairs, the iBook is sent to Apple, because it's probably the hardest machine to service. This is because it's not very open inside, like the PowerBook. Many things are fixed in place, like the CD-ROM drive.

Most repair centers won't do this for you, for fear of voiding their licence to service Apple computers...

However, MCE does this process for a fee...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2000, 10:08 AM

MCE's website, in case you're interested, is www.powerbook1.com .

Damien
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2000, 09:46 PM

Starting July 1, we have to send all iBooks and PowerBooks to Apple for repair. Apple hasn't sent us any clarification yet on this issue. For instance, we don't know if something as simple as replacing a keyboard is supposed to warrant a dispatch. I hardly think so, but Apple has yet to issue us any guidelines. We're going to play it by ear until Apple's middle management yutz who made this policy is either fired or someone there starts making some sense.

And, yes, the iBook is difficult to take apart. I guess I forget that sometimes, as it's a pretty regular occurance around here. The HD upgrades I did were *not* warranty issues but I made sure to follow Apple's take-apart and warranty requirements.

My advice stays the same: get someone Apple-certified to do this for you. Then if something oddball happens, it can be covered under warranty.

todrain
Senior User
Jul 7, 2000, 01:06 PM

Is there a site that has iBook take apart instructions? I've upgraded a few powerbooks in my day, but the iBook doesn't appear to be as easy to open.

Thanks,
-Tom

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2000, 02:12 PM

http://caslis.com/ibook/ibdrive.html

Good luck!!!

Cheers!
Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules