Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I have tried it all and still

I have tried it all and still
narcissus
Jun 25, 2000, 02:27 AM

I have had problems with IE5. It will "unexpectedly quit" This normally happens when I am doing a search using IE. The message will be either a type 1 or two error. I have tried throwing out my preffs and that did not work. Then I tried to De-install the whole thing... start over. i can't seem to find all of the parts. I have done it twice and it still remembers some of my settings.
My questions are.....
Where are all of these parts?
Could the problem be with my system?
Or is it just IE?
Is there someplace that I can read up on 9.04 and how things work?
I have a decent understanding but I still want to learn more.
What are the steps I need to take to finds the answer to the problem?
Why is Microsoft stuff so spread out. Why do they not make it self contained?
I know that there are a lot of questions here and they are spread out but this is driving me mad.
I can't tell if it is me that screwed something up or what...
If you can help me feel free to email me.
Please.

There is no particular time that IE will have this problem... it appears to be random.
Do or do not.... there is NO try.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2000, 10:30 AM

jeffreyloaf
Jun 25, 2000, 10:32 AM

I have had the same problem. If you used any version of IE before; it is a conflict between the old and new versions.

If you have sherlock installed us it to search. The easy way is just to search for just each part. Search just one word at a time. (internet) then (explorer) and anything else you can think of.

You just drag any files from the lower half of sherlock to the trash. You should keep your favorites.

Jeff
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2000, 10:54 AM

stop!

go to the link i posted

Damien
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2000, 12:29 PM

If they are in the Extensions Folder, delete the ActiveX extensions. I've had no end of trouble with these causing IE 5 to not launch.

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

angevine41
Jul 9, 2000, 03:55 PM

My IE5 had gotten very sluggish, so did a clean install as per wlonh's lead. Now IE is fast, again.

BUT: is it every one else's experience that, when you have several pages open, and click the one in front off, it takes a LONG time to close? If not, what's the fix?

And, has anyone discovered a way to configure prefs so that getting into your bank account is possible, every time? I get error messages so often that I keep NC around JUST for getting into bank. Sometimes trashing cache.waf helps, and sometimes quitting/restarting, but it's apain, and so I just usually use NC.

Icab won't get me in, either, and I don't like to use icab, in general, for this reason alone: no dialogue going on down there at the bottom, to let you know when a site has finished loading. You just have to try scrolling till it works. Also, whether "stack" is left checked or unchecked, new pages open almost exactly centered on top of each other.

Steve Brooklyn
Jul 13, 2000, 07:44 AM

I don't know how you did it, but it still doesn't work!!!
I Installed it like you said, i trashed everything what sounds like Microsoft of internet explore (even outlook!)

Please tell me I don't have to do a clean install...

Greetz Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules