Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Has ANYONE got it installed on Beige?

Has ANYONE got it installed on Beige?
Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2001, 10:49 PM

Maybe this should be the usage/support forum, but no-one seems to be reading them (in fact, this forum's slowed down somewhat).

Anyway, has anyone had any sucess installing 4k78/Retail on any of the beige boxes? I've got a beige desktop 266 and the CD gives up while "still waiting for root device".

I know I'm not the only person having trouble installing on a beige, so who HAS managed, and how did you do it?

------------------
Shh! Be vewy, vewy qwiewet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2001, 10:52 PM

I was hoping that I moved enough threads in there people would start reading in there. We're still getting high traffic in there so we'd like these to go in "Usage and Support"

I'm going to move this over to the Mac OS X Usage & Support forum. Click through to find your post.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2001, 11:15 PM

I have it installed on my beige desktop 266Mhz.

Although Im not sure I know I managed to overcome any possible errors that stod in my way.

Here's some info:

Stock ATI Rage Pro upped to 6MB VRAM.
Stock 4GB hd set to master on bus 1.
Stock CD-ROM set to master on bus 2.
Extra 20GB hd set to slave on bus 2.
AsanteFAST 10/100 PCI card in slot A1
Voodoo 3 in slot B1 (not used when in X)

Hd's Partioned as follows.

4GB harddrive:

First Partition:
Main MacOS (main system folder with 9.1, , 1.5GB big)

Second:
Mac OS X (Mac OS X installed on this partition, 1.7GB big)

Third:
Toaster (intended for disc image storage and burning, etc, etc, 800 MB)

20GB harddrive, split into two partitions, first one has a system folder for Mac OS 9.1 ment to work as the Classic system, second partiton just for storing files.

How did I install?

Simple, with the Mac OS X partition wiped an ready to be attacked by X, I put the CD in and the "Welcome to Mac OS X" window opened, I opened the "Install Mac OS X" app and clicked "restart"....voila, comp restarted and the (somewhat ugly) and missaligned happy mac face popped up. After that it was simple, just follow the instructions...

Anyway, from what I can gather from your post, you couldnt get that far...although I have no idea whatsoever of why you couldnt.. :/

Geobunny  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2001, 11:20 PM

Nah, I don't get that far. I did finally manage to get it installed by splitting my stock 4gig drive into two 2gig partitions, installing the public beta on the higher of the two and then installing the .pkgs from the CD onto the other partition.

However, when I restart, I still get the same error from my internal hard drive so I'm positive it's not a problem with my CDROM drive.

------------------

cyberfunk
Mar 23, 2001, 11:51 PM

I cant get it to install on mine! I get a kernal panic, right after I hit restart on the welcome to Mac OS X, I see the happy face, the little disc starts spinning, and then a kernal panic.. It just hangs, HELP!~!

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 12:28 AM

Try removing any non standard eq you have installed, pci cards etc, etc, just to be on the safe side.

Osakans
Mar 24, 2001, 12:32 AM

You need to make sure that a file installed by the installer, the OldWorld Startup file gets put in the first 8GB of the disk. As a practical matter, there is one of two ways to do this -- install onto a partition that's entirely in the first 8GB of the disk, or delete all but 7GB from the first partition and optimize it using SpeedDisk with the setting to place all the data at the start of the drive.

I had this problem and fought it for days before I came to this solution.

meandmybeigeg3
Mar 24, 2001, 12:32 AM

The only way I found is to install it on an HD while it's in another (non-beige) computer and install it back in my beige wonder.

I've done this for a 4k78 build I found on the 'net, and it looks like I'll have to do it again for this retail version I have here!

That's so Microsofty! I really hate that they have obviously not been too pressed to test the damn thing on ALL of the announced supported configurations before releasing it.

Most stupid thing ever.

Mine boots up from the CD, but won't let me select any partition to install on. They're all grayed out. Brilliant.

cyberfunk
Mar 24, 2001, 12:37 AM

Well I'm just gonna buy the damn thing and hope it works, if not I'll return it, and be really POed at apple.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 12:42 AM

meandmybeigeg3 and Geobunny try running Norton or Diskwarrior on your disk before you try installing Mac OS X.

Also, meandmybeigeg3, make sure you have enough space to install, my install took around 930 MB, but you will most likely need more then that to get it working.

meandmybeigeg3
Mar 24, 2001, 12:47 AM

Thanks warpmoon, but I've got 40 GBs available (total) on two partitions.

I also tried to reformat a partition as UFS. With this setup, The OS X CD boots up to a gray screen with a spinning ball for a pointer. It's not frozen, but it doesn't do anything.

cyberfunk
Mar 24, 2001, 12:49 AM

ARGHH!@#!#$%@$%&&&$##&$H#$

THIS KERNAL PANIC IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!! I DONT WANNA BUY A NEW MACHINE FOR THIS G_D DMN OS!

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 01:04 AM

cyberfunk, are you using a leaked build? (im only asking because you of what you said yourself, Im not accusing you or anything )

I know Im just grabbing things out of the air right now, but I've heard of the "root creation date" error that supposedly can cause problems with Mac OS X. Norton and Diskdoctor can both fix that one, so in lack of other help, its the best one I can suggest....sorry :/

Damien
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 01:20 AM

Ditto to warpmoon. Are you running the final (4K78)? Some of the earlier builds gave me kernal panics on my Beige.

I've got 4K78 running with no problems on my Beige G3/500 (Sonnet). Adding VRAM helps with the graphics.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 01:35 AM

Actually, I have been wondering about the Rage Pro in the beige ones. Are everyone here that has it running on a beige g3 with the original video card getting a slowish performance?

I think it might be because of the fact that as of yet, Mac OS X cant use that card for normal 2d accel. Im basing this on what a friend told me and on the fact that in "/system/library/extensions" there isnt any refernece to the Rage Pro card that I can see :/ suggesting lack of a driver => no accel whatsoever. Basicly the same thing as running with the unsupported Voodoo cards.

meandmybeigeg3
Mar 24, 2001, 02:12 AM

I just tried to boot from an old 4k60 build install CD and it DOES allow me to install on both of my partitions. The Final CD doesn't.

I tried both DiskWarrior 2.1 and Norton Utils 6; makes no difference.

I give up.

How in the world is Apple going to update OS X to make it work better if WE CAN'T EVEN INSTALL IT???

Eugene
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 06:57 AM

I've got it installed on my Beige, but it has a G4 and Radeon. My ATA card doesn't have drivers yet though.

Particle Man
Mar 24, 2001, 09:13 AM

I've got a Beige G3 in an ATX tower with A SCSI 2 card, USB card and OEM ATI RAGE128 card. This is like Apples worst nightmare for support. Right now the problem I'm having is that when I boot with the OSX CD I get a white screen (looks like the Open Firmware screen) with "NoBootableHFSPartition" printed the width of the screen for about 4 lines and "CAN'T OPEN" for a couple more lines before it gives up and boots into OS9.1 on my spare/recovery partition on the second IDE drive. When it does this I can't see the original (i.e. normal) startup drive with OS9.1 unitl I zap the PRAM and reboot. I know this was a problem with the public beta and I know it's solveable but I never found out how. Anyone else out there know?

MacinBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 02:51 PM

I got it to work. When I got a Can't Open message it was because I forgot that it needs to be installed on the frist partition of the drive. Also don't install the BSD subsystems. I didn't install the printer stuff either. On another Beige I just couldn't make it work. I got folders instead on apps. and nothing worked.

Good luck!!!

entropic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 03:01 PM

I have had PB, 4k78 (I am an ASE) working on my G3/233 tower (rev1 MB/192MB RAM a USB/FW card Kingston Ethernet card and SCSI zip)). I have basically had few problems except it is slow. Now I am installing the Retail version and having a lot of trouble but I think it is mostly my own doing. I tried to dump all the 4K78 stuff (it was buggy) and revert the drive back to OS 9 only and then install the retail. I dont thik I did a good job of it and now it cannot creat a home folder and the setup assistant did not run after restart. The installer did not put 9.1 into its own folder. I am backing up wiping and starting over.

-entro
--------
Clever sig here.

cyberfunk
Mar 24, 2001, 04:33 PM

I definately have the final version ( I went out and bought the damned thing, and now they wont let me return it cause it doesnt work)

SAME EXACT problem w/ the kernal panic (right after I hit the restart on welcome to MacOS X disk, then happyface, thn spinning disk, then panic!), called apple tech, and they're telling me it's specific to my machine, oh, great, thats what I already knew PHOOLS!! The've "escalated the problem": and will "call me back in 48 hrs" , yea .... riiiiight.. can anyone here help me?

drfrank
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 05:26 PM

I just installed OS X on my non-production G3/266 with 256 MB RAM. All seems to be fine with two exceptions:
1. I'm unable to connect to my ISP (Earthlink), all I get are authorization errors
2. Fonts seem to be a problem in that not all applications can read all fonts.

Had to move fonts to the system folder to be accessible since Font Reserve is not OS X compatible yet.

derekn
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 06:37 PM

Well I got my copy about 2 hours ago and install went as smooth as I could ask for I think.

I haven't pushed X to it's limits but it's been fine so far. Speed in the Finder is actually good, I was a little aprehensive after reading the initial reports but for me at least it is quite good. Live window resizing is slow of course and I have no sound (the real PISS OFF point).

IF it'll help anyone, here's my system configuration:
G3/266 Rev. 2, Original processor and ROM DIMM
256 megs of RAM- 2 64 MEG PC-66 DIMMs and one 128 MB PC-100 DIMM from OWC, 3-2-2
XLR8 USB PCI card
Maxtor 40 gig hard drive
Stock DVD drive with A/V Personality Card
Stock 6 megs of VRAM and Rage Pro

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them, just don't ask about the sound. I was hoping that Apple would fix this (they've had plenty of time)....

Geobunny  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 07:58 PM

Well I finally got it to work. You know what the problem was? My CDROM drive which was supported by the public beta doesn't seem to be supported by 4k78 retail! Anyway, my stock drive was knackered, so I used a friend's drive who's the same computer as me, and it installed easy as pie (where does that saying come from anyway?)

Cheers all, but now I have a different problem. X won't recognise my internal modem! It's in the internal modem slot (commslot?), and although canabalised from an old 6500 it's a Geoport and it claims to be supported. Daaaamn this is so annoying!

------------------

cyberfunk
Mar 25, 2001, 12:38 AM

Still getting kernal panics , the same DAMNED ONE every time I try to boot into the installer, right as the little happy face and spinning disk are there... I've tried EVERYTHING... for some reason X wont boot of the stock DVD rom drive, so I had to swipe a interal SCSI drive, but I also tried it from an external SCSI, same prob..

GRRR

help!

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2001, 02:24 AM

Well, after not being able to boot off the OS X retail installer CD on my Beige G3/300 MT, I decided to yank the hard drive out, throw it in my G4, and install OS X on it there. No problem there.

When I put the drive back in my G3, I could boot into OS X (although it takes a REALLY long time to boot), but I get stuck in the setup program. There aren't any options to identify my country, and it won't let me in the system without running setup.

Thanks, Apple...

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 02:38 AM

I have a beige G3/266 with 128MB RAM, 10GB Maxtor HD, 16MB ATI Rage Card, and a USB PCI card. OS X installed beautifully on my G3/400 PowerBook, but my tower and OSX does not get along well. I had a little bit of trouble installing the beta, but not like this. I can't even get the stupid thing to boot from the CD. Even after I took the CD out it wouldn't boot to my 9.1 partition until I zapped the PRAM. I will humble myself and call Apple Tech Supprt tomorrow. <sigh>
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2001, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by cyberfunk:
Still getting kernal panics , the same DAMNED ONE every time I try to boot into the installer, right as the little happy face and spinning disk are there. help!
Cyberfunk -

The same thing happened to me on my beige. My problem was I had a SCSI CD-R burner attached and powered on. Once I powered off the CD-R, OS X booted right up.

The Apple TIL says OS X is much more picky about SCSI termination, though I believe it's terminated OK.

Make absolutely sure that you have disconnected all SCSI devices, internal and external.

I bet that's what it is...

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2001, 03:41 AM

Still getting kernal panics , the same DAMNED ONE every time I try to boot into the installer, right as the little happy face and spinning disk are there. help!
Cyberfunk -

The same thing happened to me on my beige. My problem was I had a SCSI CD-R burner attached and powered on. Once I powered off the CD-R, OS X booted right up.

The Apple TIL says OS X is much more picky about SCSI termination, though I believe it's terminated OK.

Make absolutely sure that you have disconnected all SCSI devices, internal and external.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2001, 03:42 AM

Cyberfunk -

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 07:52 AM

OK.. I posted on the Apple support forums as well, but people here seem to be, um, well- smarter in general, so if anyone has insight I'd love to hear it.

---------------
OK.. I've been reading all of the posts and trying myself to get 4k78 to work on my machine. No such luck yet, but I'll detail my problem so that, hopefully, someone can help solve it.

First, I tried booting from the CD.. it worked but gave me a kernel panic. I disconnected my external SCSI CD-R and it booted fine into the installer.

Next, I tried installing on the first 4GB partition on my IDE 0 master drive (20GB total). This worked fine in public beta. I ran the installer and it didn't have any problem. I restarted, and went into verbose mode to check things out. Here was the message waiting for me, right before it stalled:

AppleGracklePCI : bad range 1(00010000:00000200)

Well, the "Grackle," as I've learned, is the PCI bridge and memory controller for the beige G3. And yeah, the address range listed above certainly is bad, because it goes from a higher address to a lower one. That's not really important though... the interesting this is, when I disconnected my ATTO U2SCSI PCI card, this message goes away. Note that this card came with my machine and my primary SCSI hard drive connects to it.

So, with the SCSI card and all other PCI cards out of the machine, as well as all memory except the original 128MB removed (I wanted to cover all the bases here), we still get a stalled startup process, but it appears to have more to do with an inability to mount the filesystem. Here is, verbatim, what was displayed:

ApplePlatformExpert::getGMTTimeOfDay can not provide time of day RTC did not show up
devfs enabled
dlil_init
IOKitBSDInit
From path: "ide/@0:9, \mach_kernel", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID="1">IODeviceTree:/pci/mac-io/ide@20000/@0:9</string></dict>
dlil_input_thread 177b114
Still waiting for root device

The last line there was repeated several times as the root device continually failed to respond. That's it... my configuration is NOT very non-standard, and I'm still getting very erratic behavior on startup. Install worked fine on my brother's B&W G3 but my Beige G3 is just not liking 4k78 one bit.

I've programmed a bit, so I'm not going to criticize Apple on the great job they've done so far with this OS. Granted, it could've used a month more in development, but so could anything- you have to draw the line somewhere. Regardless, some help with my problem from *someone* would be greatly appreciated. And if I solve the problem, I'll post the solution here. Thanks.

-------------

cyberfunk
Mar 25, 2001, 11:21 AM

I got it! It's the fact that I've got a REV A G3 mini! It's got something to do w/ that.. the Rev B ppl arnt having trouble w/ this....

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 06:15 PM

No.. mine is the final rev. minitower and it's still tweaking.

helphelphelp!!!
Mar 25, 2001, 06:39 PM

Okay, I have a G3 Beige Tower, running @ 266MHz - I have a similar problem installing -- I divided my 26GB HD up into a 10 and a 16 GB partition, ran Norton on both -- and still nothing. When I try to install OS X, the disks are grey, and I cannot proceed with any install at all.

I have a Rage Orion card in my comp, as well as an Evergreen USB/Firewire card. I have 288 MB of physical ram...

Help!

Thanks!!!!!!

rlawson
Mar 25, 2001, 06:46 PM

I finally got OSX running on beige 266 MT. This was one of the earlier 266's. It origionally came with a 6gb drive and an ATA CD Rom. I had replaced the CD with a slower SCSI CD and 8gb ATA drive on ATA1. I had some problems on installing the public Beta, but only took about 10 extra minutes. I booted from ATA beta and ran install from CD.

Advice to others on 1.0:

I removed second drive on ATA1 and reinstalled ATA CD Rom. OSX does not seem to like SCSI CD Drives. I also installed on origional 6gb drive. I partitioned it with 1st 4gb used for osx, second 1.5 gb for OS9.1 and .5 set aside for later use as swap file area. The first partition must be 8.0gb or less. Also, install must be on Master, not slave. All were partioned for HFS+. I had an Orange Micro 1394 and USB card which did not cause problems.

Before I switched to the above configuration, I was getting Kernel Panicks and broken disks. I hope this helps others.

cyberfunk
Mar 25, 2001, 07:14 PM

It's all about the SCSI disks for me, OS X just doesnt like em..

bojangles
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 03:47 AM

You got it, Cyberfunk. X does not like SCSI devices. (I do have an internal SCSI CD-RW, tho; no problems there, unless I try to insert a disc. Then I get a kernel panic or even just a complete freeze.)

As for the Kernel Panic thing, check the TIL. They've finally posted some stuff on it.

[This message has been edited by bojangles (edited 03-26-2001).]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 02:43 PM

OSX not liking SCSI? That's unpossible

I have a Beige G3/300, stock 6MB / Rage Pro
4 GB IDE Fujitsu
20 GB IDE WD
Stock IDE 24X CDROM
and a 4GB Seagate SCSI 'Cuda

Would not boot with 'Cuda in. Started f/ CD, got to Happy Mac for a fraction of a second, restarted. Over and over again. Had to zap the PRAM the get it to boot at all after that. Remembered forum reports on SCSI issues, pulled SCSI drive, booted. Installed, w/o BSD subsystems. I'm writing this in X now. The best part? I set up OSX, halted the computer, plugged the 'Cuda back in, started up, and there it is on my desktop. Gotta love that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules