Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sat. night drunk topic: WTF does your username mean?

Sat. night drunk topic: WTF does your username mean?
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 01:34 AM

Waht the ****ing topic says.

As for my unpronounceable username, I wanted something with an "xi" in it. Don't ask why because I don't know. The one I ended up choosing seemed as good as anything at the time. Where does your username come from?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 01:56 AM

Umm ... look at the name, look at the sig. Nothing too complex in mine. Basically it boils down to the fact that I've used some iteration of the name since I began surfing in '94 or '95 (and I was really into the Simpson's way back then.) When I registered for these forums (over 4 years ago now ..whew, that's a long time) I was still on that kick.

edit: I'm a little buzzed too. Thanks for reminding me that I need to pop down to the store and pick up some more

Yose
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 02:00 AM

Mine is homage to the first Mac I ever owned myself (had a IIc when I was young but it was my parents), the "Yosemite" line of G3's.. I was looking at it when I was trying to think up a username years ago and it's stuck ever since.

It's still in good use at a young club and I go update/maintain it whenever it needs some TLC.

**I am not drunk, tonight.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 02:00 AM

I'm a bit drunk too...I just like the word sweater-vest. No one can tell that I'm a girl, though, I guess it's a bit unisex...oh well.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 02:01 AM

Mine has not much of a meaning. Besides "demograph" the "68" was just improvised.
Later on I would find it to be used by Ca$h.
How wonderful, huh?

Yose
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 02:03 AM

I just like the word sweater-vest.
What about magical sweater-vests... I prefer those... The red sparkly variety that make clones enjoy my company.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 02:04 AM

Whee! I'm drunk too!

My username is my name from Japanese class in middle school all those many years ago.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by sweatervest:
I'm a bit drunk too...I just like the word sweater-vest. No one can tell that I'm a girl, though, I guess it's a bit unisex...oh well.
sweatervest sounds completely like a girls name to me (any polysyllabic word for an article of clothing is that way). Of course, my most prominent net name of the late 90's was ytsurk (krusty backwards). No one ever seemed to get that it was simply krusty in reverse and everyone thought I was a girl before they talked to me (shoulda seen it on IRC, all these pathetic dudes would swarm me immediately until they realized I was a guy)

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Umm ... look at the name, look at the sig.
Same for me.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 02:20 AM

mine is a song by tom verlaine...always liked him, the song has a cool riff, and it rhymed with "obscure"
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2003, 02:21 AM

This was my desktop the day I registered. It's still one of my favorites.
Nemo me impune lacesset

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 02:23 AM

transformers and my g4
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Whee! I'm drunk too!

My username is my name from Japanese class in middle school all those many years ago.
Wow, Japanese... I couldn't even get a handle on French in middle school, or even now.

I wish I were good at languages.

BTW, my handle is my name (bet you couldn't figure that out... ).

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

BTW, my handle is my name (bet you couldn't figure that out... ).
Wow, never met anyone named CharlesS ... what's your last name ?

sebastian haff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 02:52 AM

Ever see "Bubba Ho-Tep" ?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 14, 2003, 02:55 AM

I'm buzzin'...but nearly as much as I was hoping to tonight. I'm home WAY too early from the bars. Guess I'll have to tap that bottle Yukon Jack.

Anyway, username. It's a childhood nickname. Real name is Frankie, but my little brother, when we were real little guys, couldn't say Frankie, so he called me Kee. That grew into Keekee & eventually Keekeeree. Even after all these years, my mom still calls me Ree.

So, there you have it...

(now...where did I put that bottle of Yukon...)

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 03:04 AM

I'm sober ... god I suck.

My nick is the name of a pretty good XTC album, and is also a fairly memorable word that I can often still claim when registering in new forums and BBSes.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:09 AM

My last name is Peoples, dammit.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:34 AM

I was originally 'PurpleGiant' here. Changed my email address one day, and it never let me login again.

'Hood - if you're in here, could you please reset my password on that account!

Reason for name: I'm not so good at making names. Listed random words through my head until one combo stuck.

Around '96 I was known as 'Jaffa' on the net, but after a while I found that a bit pansy.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:57 AM

My username and Location both come from the Simpsons as I am a huge fan.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:58 AM

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:58 AM

It means 217, which means absolutely nothing... it's not even significant in ASCII. It just looks random, and is my primary net alias.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 04:03 AM

I'm doing some soul searching and have been for a while.
Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Around '96 I was known as 'Jaffa' on the net, but after a while I found that a bit pansy.
Heh, you could say that about mine, and some people do .

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 04:09 AM

dantheman was taken, and i used to play a lot of games online (on top of being an aim fixture since about 96)

so there you have it

Dan.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2003, 04:26 AM

From a very old poem that I wrote, lost, and do not even remember anymore. Been using it a long time, though, and it feels like it still fits, so it stays. I like it, anyway; that's enough.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 04:32 AM

I used to listen to EBM and Industrial, so I used "Chemlab" as an online name.

It got lovingly shortened to Chemmy, and that's that.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 06:18 AM

Not being gifted with extraordinary amounts of creative fantasy, my nick simply means "little theo" in German, although I'm neither German nor little.

It's a bit like in English when one calls someone called John, Johnny.
weird wabbit

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2003, 06:52 AM

It means I can cast a spell on you.

... it is from the story about the Death, the Devil and the Alien - one of the two agents in the story is Agent voodoo.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by soul searching:
I'm doing some soul searching and have been for a while.Heh, you could say that about mine, and some people do .
What does the equation in your sig mean? Is it some sort of mathematical truth or puzzle?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
What does the equation in your sig mean? Is it some sort of mathematical truth or puzzle?
e^(?i) + 1 = 0 is an equation that links five of the important mathematical constants in one equation. If I remember correctly from my diff. eq. class:

e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x)

So:

e^(?i) = cos(?) + isin(?)
e^(?i) = -1 + i*0
e^(?i) = -1
e^(?i) + 1 = 0

This formula almost miraculously holds under normal addition, multiplication, and exponential rules!

Matt Fahrenbacher

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 01:25 PM

my name nathan redman

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Wow, never met anyone named CharlesS ... what's your last name ?
My last name is Srstka... now you know why I just abbreviate it to S! No one can spell it or pronounce it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 01:36 PM

The nickname of one of my dogs.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 01:37 PM

Back in the days when I started on Compuserve with a Psion 3a terminal and 2,400 modem, I needed a username for the chat rooms. It asked me for one quite unexpectedly and I couldn't think of anything.
There was an invoice from a local print company sitting on my desk: "Sherwin Rivers".

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 01:56 PM

First four letters = My name

the extra c is there because of a number of reasons that I won't go into here......

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 02:01 PM

phnaguye is the username of the cisco employee that compiled the cisco IOS that i learned on

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 02:42 PM

Wang means Wang!
/hi

Sealobo
Dec 14, 2003, 03:03 PM

It doesn't mean anything.

But the correct pronunciation is seal-lobo, not sea-lobo.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 03:05 PM

One time, at band camp (no, really!), some friends and I went into the commons area of the college that was running the camp (Luther College, in Decorah, IA). We didn't want to eat in the caf, so we looked around for an alternative. There was a little cafe/restaurant thing called "Oneota."

The name that I usually used at this time all over the 'Net was "Jawz," which was my initials (JAW) plus a "z". But I around this time, I was starting to get spam and wanted a username/email address that I could treat as a throw-away for various things. I registered [email protected] and started using it for stuff that I didn't care about.

Gradually, the Oneota username started getting used for more things, and Jawz started getting used for fewer. I don't have the hotmail address anymore, but I still use the username 'cause it sounds cool.

I later learned that Oneota is the name of a Native American tribe who once inhabited the north-eastern area of Iowa (where Luther College is situated).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

valeriam01
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 03:32 PM

Valeria Messalina was my name in latin class in high school (wow this makes me dorky) and i'm still a classics major, so it works I guess. But Valeria Messalina was married to Emperor Claudius, she was kinda a bitch (which i didn't find out until AFTER choosing the name), slept around the Roman imperial court and eventually was executed after Claudius discovered she'd been plotting to kill him. Whoops.

GirlSplyph
Dec 14, 2003, 03:37 PM

"Splyph" (Spliff) is my cat's name. I'm a girl. Kinda went from there.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:53 PM

I picked my online alias way back in 2000 and have transferred it from forum to forum so peoples that read across the various ones I frequent will know it's me. Why "Zimmerman?
Well, I like the way it rolls off the tounge, its neatly abbreviated, "Zimm," and I wanted a letter towards the end of the alphabet. It has no personal meaning, though.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

Got the nickname in college because I wore boots most of the time. Not the pythons in my sig, but the brown ones hiding behind the longhorns on the left. Yes, those are my longhorns too. I have them mounted over the bar in my basement.

The quote in the sig is from the stage-show "Red White and Tuna" ... the third installment of the Greater Tuna saga....

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 04:27 PM

I love canoe-tripping. The picture in my sig is of a lake in Algonquin Park in Ontario. So I took the name voyageur, from the French-Canadian trappers and explorers who went all through the North Woods in their canoes.
Although someone more knowledgeable in French than I has told me the feminine form should be "voyageuse".

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 04:40 PM

Back in the days when Final Fantasy VIII was brand-new, I used to have the nickname "Squall". But soon I realized that this nickname sucked so I's looking for something new, something unique.

So I came up with D'Espice, the first dungeon in Ultima IX Ascension (aaaah... what a great game) gave me the idea and I liked the idea of my nickname sounding kinda like "to despise"
But I don't wanted it to be that obvious so I "internationalized" (fancy talk for French ) it a little bit, changed the second s to c and that's the day ol' D'Espice was born.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 04:46 PM

Oooh magical sweater-vests! I don't have one. I want one! I do have a cute red one, though..

Originally posted by Yose:
What about magical sweater-vests... I prefer those... The red sparkly variety that make clones enjoy my company.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 06:00 PM

Maybe my user name sounds a lot like my real name but it's not the case. It's random letters placed in a specific order that coincidentally spell my name. I guess I was lucky.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 06:01 PM

::sigh::
Timo
is
my
name
::sigh::

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 06:10 PM

I once did not speak for over 3 weeks.
That is where I got my nick from.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Basically what Matt said. The symbol "e^(ix)" is defined for any real x as "cos(x) + i sin(x)", where "i" denotes the imaginary number "square root of (-1)", and is known as Euler's formula.

e^(i pi) = cos(pi) + i sin(pi)
e^(i pi) = -1 + i * 0
e^(i pi) = -1

The last statement is my sig.

Also, by using simple trig you'll see that e^(ix) holds for products and quotients by simply writing Euler's formula in polar form, i.e., z=r*e^(ix). You can get some cool results but nothing cooler than the statement on my sig

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Forum Links
Forum Rules