Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.11g cards for PC

802.11g cards for PC
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2005, 11:38 AM

My wife's Dell needs a new network card, and we're looking at upgrading hers to use 802.11g with our AEBS. Essentially I just need a PCMCIA card for this, but with one catch: I need one which can support hooking up an external antenna. The place where we live doesn't have great reception normally with most built-in PC Card antennas, but I've attached an antenna to my old Ti/400 which works extremely well, and I want to add one to her machine.

I'm having trouble finding cards which feature this connector, but I know they exist. I'm using the RadioLabs laptop antenna, but the card they recommend on that page doesn't have the connector I need. Does anyone have any recommendations on a card for this?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2005, 05:18 PM

What model of Dell laptop is it? If it supports a mini-PCI wireless card, then it will have an internal antenna which would be much better than a PCMCIA card's yet not cost anything extra.

Edit: I should also point out that there are several advantages to the internal card, not the least of which is that you can't break it off like you can with the end of a PCMCIA card. They are also becoming quite inexpensive. My Inspiron 8200 uses a Dell internal card that I got on eBay for about $30.

Otherwise, your choices are kind of limited. External antennas aren't very common for the current crop of PCMCIA wireless cards.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
What model of Dell laptop is it? If it supports a mini-PCI wireless card, then it will have an internal antenna which would be much better than a PCMCIA card's yet not cost anything extra.

Edit: I should also point out that there are several advantages to the internal card, not the least of which is that you can't break it off like you can with the end of a PCMCIA card. They are also becoming quite inexpensive. My Inspiron 8200 uses a Dell internal card that I got on eBay for about $30.
Interesting. She's got an Inspiron, but I'm not sure exactly what the model number is. I think it's somewhere in the 4000s. I'll look into this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules