Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Old iBook or Powerbook?

Old iBook or Powerbook?
PB00k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 03:27 PM

I tried this in the Powerbook section but no responses so i am going to try it here.

I am waiting to get a new Powerbook to see if any new revisions come out in a few months, because I dont really need a new computer. But I also wanted to get a old Pismo Powerbook or Clamshell iBook just to have to mess around with. And i would like to install either Tiger or Panther on it. I would like help to decide which one would be better to buy price wise and what prices should i expect to pay on either one.
Thanks in advance for any help.
( Last edited by PB00k; May 12, 2005 at 05:13 PM. )

PB00k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 06:16 PM

Well I think i am going to get a Clamshell iBook hopefully with 466mb ram. Anyone know of anything I could upgrade to make it faster and run atleast panther.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 09:37 PM

Max out the RAM. You may need a bigger hard drive, too...I think the stock one is 10GB.

Voch

PB00k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 03:08 AM

I was wondering if i got a good deal with a graphite 466 mhz and with dvd player. Would i be able to change the covers with a different color. Or can those only work with the 300mhz.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 14, 2005, 04:15 AM

Taking apart a clamshell iBook is definitely the opposite of a-piece-of-cake.
And for changing the shell: Maybe, if you find a fully functional, differently colored shell, and then manage to take apart your iBook successfully, then MAYBE you'll be able to change it, but it's probably not worth it. Why don't you get a different color anyway then?

For running OS X, your main problem would be HD space as mentioned above and the screen resolution. You could always get an external HD, or change the internal one, but 800x600 is not that much fun under OS X, keep that in mind.

I once took apart a 366mhz indigo clamshell to swap out the stock 10gig for a fast 40gig harddrive and it wasn't that easy. But try searching these forums for info on the clamshell, in some threads there are links to illustrated instructions on how to open it, change parts etc.
Good luck!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2005, 10:58 AM

Hi,

If you didn't make you your mind yet, I would like to suggest getting a pismo. I had one before, got myself an aluminum, and now just went back to a pismo. It is really my favorite just because of how easy everything is to work with.

I upgraded it to an 80gb 5400 Hard drive (5 minute job) and with the 1mb l2 cache, and 1gb memory (easy upgrade also) the thing actually flies. Plus I can put 2 batteries in at the same time and get 7 hours out of it. I also took out the removable dvd drive, bought a cheap bare combo drive, changed the plastics on the drive, and now i added a burner to the machine. Most laptops today (especially any of the apple lines) can do that. Plus you will have a pc card slot for anything (wireless g, firewire 800 ports, usb 2.0, etc). And did I mention the plethora of ports - 2 usb, 2 firewire, audio in, etc. Finally, you can upgrade the processor if you want. Crazy!!

I think there really is no comparison between an older ibook and a pismo. The pismos are probably the best apple laptops made. If you are still looking for one, you can look on ebay, or I have a friend who may want to sell his. But they are terrific machines!!

PB00k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 01:55 PM

If I get a clamshell I will probably get it the color I want. I was just wondering if you could interchange the covers.
I like the pismos but I am not going to use this as a primary machine. And I am getting the Clamshell for the colors.
THanks for ya'lls help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules