Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > A couple questions about iOS multi-tasking and data usage ...

A couple questions about iOS multi-tasking and data usage ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2011, 01:11 PM

I've got an iPad 1, and a couple iPod Touches in the family. Just got an iPhone 4S and now I'm wondering a little about iOS.

1. When apps are minimized in iOS5, are they really still running? or more like "frozen" or paused?

2. Will they still be able to use data on my data plan, communicate with the outside world?

For example, if I have the email, Zillow, or other apps minimized, will they still continue to communicate and eat data?

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Chris

p.s. I'd also be interested in pointers to some in-depth article about how iOS multi-tasks. Thx. ;-)
( Last edited by cmeisenzahl; Oct 21, 2011 at 01:18 PM. )

P
Oct 21, 2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl View Post
I've got an iPad 1, and a couple iPod Touches in the family. Just got an iPhone 4S and now I'm wondering a little about iOS.

1. When apps are minimized in iOS5, are they really still running? or more like "frozen" or paused?
Sort of depends. In general, they are frozen, but there are exceptions when iOS does allow background processing. That is very limited (to save battery) but certain functions are active.

2. Will they still be able to use data on my data plan, communicate with the outside world?
If they do have background processing, yes.

p.s. I'd also be interested in pointers to some in-depth article about how iOS multi-tasks. Thx. ;-)
This piece is not exactly in-depth, but it does explain what happens in a fairly easy-to-understand way.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 01:45 PM

For example, if I have the email, Zillow, or other apps minimized, will they still continue to communicate and eat data?
Apps in the background are sort of frozen. They stop running except if they hook into background APIs that Apple provides. Those APIs can do all knds of things (play music, access GPS data, transmit data...)

So in short, yes, they could still send and receive data.

-t

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Sort of depends. In general, they are frozen, but there are exceptions when iOS does allow background processing. That is very limited (to save battery) but certain functions are active.
If they do have background processing, yes.
This piece is not exactly in-depth, but it does explain what happens in a fairly easy-to-understand way.
Thanks very much, P, on all counts! ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules