Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The macBook Not-Pro Line

The macBook Not-Pro Line
Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 10:57 AM

Hey anyone else think that we might see Apple move the MacBook line to CULV processors? IE Leave Intel's higher end chips in the MacBook Pros and stuff, and then push the MacBook line into the ultra thin CULV market with slower processors and what not? I know ASUS has said they're going after Apple (Good luck.) But with these chips coming out, Apple won't be able to afford having the Air being the only thin and light laptop. Granted all their laptops are pretty thin, but still some of the new ones are gonna be crazy thin.

If my pondering panned out I'd expect to see 13, 15 and perhaps even 17 inch models, with modest processors, integrated Nvidea graphics. They'd be billed as consumer machines, higher end than Netbooks but not really the sort that your average prosumer should be looking at. I realize Apple's made a lot of money pushing people who want big screens to to pro models, but I wonder if that might change?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 11:15 AM

I'm kind of with you, I don't think the replacement MacBook will be a Core2Duo based machine, but I can't see it having the 13", 15" and 17" screens. I think they've moved MacBook up to a Pro to make room below it in the range for the netbook/tablet with the rumoured 10" screen.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 11, 2009 at 04:32 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

OreoCookie
Jun 11, 2009, 03:42 AM

Ditto, I also think they want to put in a new `cheap' model that has nothing to do with the MacBook. This would allow them to pick a slower cpu and pick something that may be between an iPhone and a full-fledged notebook.

I do not think they will make a cheap notebook line-up as there is very little in terms of specs that differentiates between the two.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 03:54 PM

well the CULV market is not gonna be necessarily CHEAP just very low power usage and slower procs from what I understand. Otherwise there will be a plethora of laptops far more inexpensive than the Air, thinner than the MacBook and while not super fast, they'll have optical drives and all manner of things.

webb3201
Senior User
Jun 11, 2009, 05:55 PM

I have a feeling (a hope really) that they are simply clearing the Macbook slot for a Tablet device. With a 13" Macbook Pro priced at 1199.00, they don't have a lot of room for a traditional laptop /OSX device. I don't see Apple ever trying to compete vigorously to win the sub 1000.00 notebook market. I do see them using that slot to deploy a tablet/iPhone OS based device.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 06:02 PM

Honestly I remember back when the iBook was still 1700ish in Canada, now it's a lot cheaper. I paid two grand for my iBook back in the day. What Apple cares about is making a decent amount on each unit. They don't care if they're making that decent amount on a 400 dollar iPod touch, or a 800 dollar MacBook CULV.

The thing is soon thin, sexily designed PC laptops are gonna come out, and for people who are only gonna be using the things for Facebook, email, and iPhoto, they don't NEED a 2.4 Ghz processor, especially with Snow Leopard on them making even lower end hardware blazingly fast. Besides in a while an inch thick is gonna seem fat for a 15 inch notebook from a lot of manufacturers. Sure you can say it'll blow those other ones out of the water performance wise, but still even with a nice metal case and all that junk, a laptop that's twice as thick still doesn't look quite as hot.

Imagine if Apple had said a 14 inch Pismo was good enough for everyone end of story.

webb3201
Senior User
Jun 11, 2009, 06:10 PM

A 14 inch pismo was good enough!!!
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules