Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Domain hosting issue

Domain hosting issue
starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:24 PM

So this is bizarre...

For a while I've been trying to find the right domain name for a project I've had in my head. On a whim, after waking from a nap, I checked the name that was in my head and sure enough, it was available. It had to have fallen off because I checked it before and it was camped. Sure enough, it lapsed in June, 2009.

So I get the domain, and my partner and I are trying to decide what host to put it on. We choose one, and when it comes time to put the name of the domain in, there's an error saying that the domain is already hosted on that site.

Huh.

Turns out, the previous owner also hosted on the same provider!

Here's the kicker - my domain's info is private. The provider we want is saying "take the privacy off or we can't allow you to host the domain here since it belongs to someone else".

W. T. F?

So let me get this straight - some guy buys and hosts a domain, and lets the DOMAIN lapse, but because he still owns the HOSTING on the provider, I can't get it? I mean, there's NO WAY to prove that 1) I own the site and 2) he no longer owns it? Not without making all my info public for the spider bots to see?

So I contact the provider and say "how about if I get Domains By Proxy to break this stalemate?" They can provide you with certification.

No.

N. O.

So of course we're going to look at other providers, but sheesh, this ICANN thing just blows.

Anyone know of a good Drupal host? I wouldn't *DREAM* of using the one that's giving me problems now.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:27 PM

What hosting company is this?

Simple solution for the future - don't pair your hosting with your domain registration. Keep them separate and use a reputable domain name registrar. That way, if you have a hosting issue at least you know your domain name won't be held hostage.

It sounds like an extraordinary coincidence that the name lapsed and got reregistered at the same company as before. It sounds like someone's jerking you around at the host. Speak to the managemement.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:32 PM

Well, here's the thing - I bought the domain with Godaddy just to use their codes and use one of my hosting credits for the time being. We want to use Drupal and neither of us want to host it on Godaddy, so we picked a different provider.

Weird, huh?

And yes, we're getting jerked around. We've asked to speak to someone higher up and get the same answer, packaged differently.

The solution is to simply go somewhere else, but I like the host we picked because of their price, service, and reputation (which isn't doing well right now).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:53 PM

Wait, so the domain name is registered with Godaddy and your hosting problem is elsewhere? If that's the case, just get a different host and modify your DNS information to point to the new provider as necessary.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Wait, so the domain name is registered with Godaddy and your hosting problem is elsewhere? If that's the case, just get a different host and modify your DNS information to point to the new provider as necessary.
Oh yeah, that's going to be the solution if they don't fix this ASAP. I'm just telling this weird story and inserting a little bitching about ICANN.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 05:58 PM

Wait, how is it ICANN's problem? There's a detail in this story that I'm not getting. If Godaddy is the problem then it's a domain name issue, but if it's a hosting problem with a different provider then it's just a hosting problem.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Wait, how is it ICANN's problem? There's a detail in this story that I'm not getting. If Godaddy is the problem then it's a domain name issue, but if it's a hosting problem with a different provider then it's just a hosting problem.
Because there's no way to protect your real name and show that you own the domain. The way it works now, as far as I know, you have to put in your billing address for your domain registration. There needs to be a way to prove you own a domain without giving up your privacy.

If there was a way, I could say "here's my certificate of ownership".

Flaw in the system. Blame ICANN for that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 06:19 PM

Oh, that's a different issue from the ones I thought you were dealing with.

And yeah that's a minor issue. If you choose to use a private registration you technically aren't the direct owner of the domain name, but otherwise you have to provide actual contact information by law. If putting an address down bothers you a lot, get a mail drop, and then you could get a simple Internet based voice mail line for a few bucks a month or a simple prepaid cell phone that comes with voice mail.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 07:35 PM

Where does it say you have to use valid contact info?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2009, 12:37 AM

Get a VPS and run Drupal yourself. Cheap and lets you do whatever the hell you want.

I love my Linode - only $20/mo.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2009, 12:43 AM

Got the hosting problem resolved.

$9.95/mo.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 8, 2009, 08:43 AM

Who did you go with?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman  (op)