Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > printing issues

printing issues
Harvey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2015, 01:31 PM

After installing El Capitan I have had printing issues with all of my devices. I also needed to buy and install a new Time Capsule a month or 2 before the install.

It seems that I can get my Epson XP-610 printing on my iMac but not my macbook or my wife mac air. . . . . all of which use to print flawlessly. We have also lost air printing capabilities on our phones. The printer cannot be found or it is simply looking for the printer when I try to add a printer.

My airport router (TC) is set up with a dual (password needed) network (2.4 and 5GZ) as well as a guest network with no password needed. I don't ever recall needing to choose a particular network to print before but that (seems?) to be happening. My wifi is fine and everything is connected but printing issues persist. No help online found. Should I simply redo the whole router thing?

Harvey

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2015, 01:50 PM

It's not clear what your setup is. Are you saying the printer is connected to the TC's USB port for access by everybody? Or is it truly a wifi printer with no cable connections? You also don't indicate how the computers are connected. Ethernet or all wirelessly?

More info might help a little.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2015, 09:12 PM

My Epson XP-610 is a wireless and AirPrint printer. I have always run it wirelessly on my network. All computers are used untethered.

ibook_steve
Oct 22, 2015, 03:27 AM

I'm presuming everything is on the regular network, not the guest network. The whole point of a guest network is to prevent a guest from accessing internal resources, and I would assume that includes a printer. Make sure the printer and all the computers and devices are connecting through the same wifi.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2016, 09:12 PM

I was able to fix my wireless Epson printer whoas by shutting it down and unplugging it for 1 minute. Why this worked is a mystery to me. Yes, it was truly wireless and on the correct network . . . not the guest or 5Ghz. For the life of me I will never understand why both of our iPhones as well as both of our mac laptops became unprintable and then were OK. If anyone knows why computer devices can be so unpredictable.

Thanks for all of your past help.

Harvey Beaudette

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2016, 08:04 AM

We have an Epson at One of my workplaces, and it randomly shits the bed every few months and won't print via wifi for a day or so.

Printers are placed on this earth to hate us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules