Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone 6: want to remove all passwords, payment ability, but keep apps

iphone 6: want to remove all passwords, payment ability, but keep apps
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2017, 11:28 PM

Hi all,

I want to give my iPhone 6 to a family member. I don't want to wipe it, as many of the apps I have on the phone they will find useful, but I also don't want my personal passwords and payment setups to be accessed by them (they can pay for their own stuff! :-) )

Anyone know of a way to do this? I don't mind multiple steps (but I'm holding out hope that there is a single/few-step option).

Cheers!

Chas

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2017, 11:46 PM

I'm not sure of all the steps, but
1) clear safari cache and settings
2) remove apple ID account, email accounts
3) disconnect gamecenter, facebook, twitter accts

You could wipe it, but reinstall the apps they'd like? might be simpler than playing needle in the haystack.

Thorzdad
Jan 29, 2017, 09:18 AM

Will purchased apps work if the Apple ID that "owns" them is no longer available? I doubt they'd update.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2017, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info andi*pandi, I appreciate it. My concern mirrors Thorzdad's. So, I've wiped the phone and we're just going to deal with all the downloads and stuff that's necessary now.

Thanks both of you, I very much appreciate the help.

Chas

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2017, 06:08 AM

if you just want the apps sign the phone back into your itunes account but only in the app and itunes store (in the settings). Disable automatic downloads of purchased content.
Then open the app store app and go to updates and select purchases not on this device and download only the apps you want.
You can then sign out of iTunes etc (again in settings). The apps won't update while you are not signed in.

You could also set your family member up as a friends and family member of your master iTunes account. That way they can update the apps you give them.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules