Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > EyeTV 500 cable compatibility

EyeTV 500 cable compatibility
ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 02:36 PM

Hi There,
Does anyone have an EyeTV 500 that they are using with Cox Cable? I am very interested in getting one, bu only if it works with Cox...
thanks,
david

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by ddiokno:
Hi There,
Does anyone have an EyeTV 500 that they are using with Cox Cable? I am very interested in getting one, bu only if it works with Cox...
thanks,
david
Is that the name of the cable company, or just what people call Fox?

(Good name for a pr0n channel I suppose.)

There's a compatibility chart linked to this page if it's any help: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain

ddiokno  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
Is that the name of the cable company, or just what people call Fox?

(Good name for a pr0n channel I suppose.)

There's a compatibility chart linked to this page if it's any help: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain
Hi,
Cox Cable is part of Cox Communications... Thanks for the link, unfortunately it only lists general product info, not cable company compatability (some cable companies use their QAM cable connection, some don't).
Thanks,
david

MoparSteve
Jan 16, 2005, 06:46 PM

I have Cox Digital cable in the Phoenix area, and I just ordered an eyeTV 500 a couple of days ago. Thought I'd just take a chance on it being compatible. If not, I'll try out the over the air reception. I'll report back how it works after I get it (hopefully this week sometime).

ddiokno  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by MoparSteve:
I have Cox Digital cable in the Phoenix area, and I just ordered an eyeTV 500 a couple of days ago. Thought I'd just take a chance on it being compatible. If not, I'll try out the over the air reception. I'll report back how it works after I get it (hopefully this week sometime).
Steve,
That's be awesome... I almost took that chance, too, seeing as how they had the $50 off special during MacWorld. Although I ended up settling for the ATI EyeTV Wonder (good deal for $129). But if you can confirm that the EyeTV 500 works with Cox, I'll probably plop down the $$$ for an upgrade.
Thanks again!
david

MoparSteve
Jan 29, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by ddiokno:
Steve,
That's be awesome... I almost took that chance, too, seeing as how they had the $50 off special during MacWorld. Although I ended up settling for the ATI EyeTV Wonder (good deal for $129). But if you can confirm that the EyeTV 500 works with Cox, I'll probably plop down the $$$ for an upgrade.
Thanks again!
david
David,

I finally got my EyeTV 500 the other day. Elgato's web site said it was taking them a week just to process orders due to the responce they were getting. I'm only getting a couple of channels with it over Cox Digital Cable, namely FOX and the WB (geez, what entertainment ...at least I'll be able to get the Simpsons. I'm also getting the In Demand Movie and League Pass (sports) Preview channels, and the COX info channel. When I first set up the unit and it went through "auto scan", it did pick up about another 30 channels, but when I tune to them, the screen only has the message "No Signal or Encrypted". It looks like I'm only getting channels broadcast in HD. From Elgato's website on the 500 it says "enjoy free over-the-air HDTV and digital standard-definition television (SDTV) " I thought that if I got anything at all, then I would be able to get all the non-premium SD channels You probably made a good choice on the ATI Wonder. I would have gone for it, but I don't have USB2 on my 17"FP G4-800, and I didn't want to pay the price for the EyeTV200 for something I would only be able to use a year or 2 (though I just read that the FCC may not force the conversion to total HD until 2009?) Anyway, hopefully I'll get more channels over time as more programs are broadcast in HD
Steve

ddiokno  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by MoparSteve:
David,

I finally got my EyeTV 500 the other day. Elgato's web site said it was taking them a week just to process orders due to the responce they were getting. I'm only getting a couple of channels with it over Cox Digital Cable, namely FOX and the WB (geez, what entertainment ...at least I'll be able to get the Simpsons. I'm also getting the In Demand Movie and League Pass (sports) Preview channels, and the COX info channel. When I first set up the unit and it went through "auto scan", it did pick up about another 30 channels, but when I tune to them, the screen only has the message "No Signal or Encrypted". It looks like I'm only getting channels broadcast in HD. From Elgato's website on the 500 it says "enjoy free over-the-air HDTV and digital standard-definition television (SDTV) " I thought that if I got anything at all, then I would be able to get all the non-premium SD channels You probably made a good choice on the ATI Wonder. I would have gone for it, but I don't have USB2 on my 17"FP G4-800, and I didn't want to pay the price for the EyeTV200 for something I would only be able to use a year or 2 (though I just read that the FCC may not force the conversion to total HD until 2009?) Anyway, hopefully I'll get more channels over time as more programs are broadcast in HD
Steve
Thanks Steve, that was my suspicion... I had purchased an HDTV tuner to plug into my TV, and found the same thing the other day... I only got the local HDTV channels (which the FCC mandates cannot be encrypted by the Cox), and I got a couple of others... one nice thing was that I got one of the INHD channels... but not enough channels to justify the box, so I returned it. I think I got 14 digital channels. I would have deginitely kept it if I got the whole complement of regular cable channels... and probably would have changed my order to the EyeTV 500... but you're right, I think I will be fine with the EyeTV Wonder.

I appreciate your report back, as I'm sure it will help out others with their choices

David

Forum Links
Forum Rules