Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > EyeTV 200 Anyone?

EyeTV 200 Anyone?
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2005, 02:42 AM

just wandering if anyone had used this or use it reguarly, and how well it works because i am considering getting it when i get my iMac... I looked at the formac but i believe i like the EyeTv 200 better (ww.elgato.com) any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 10:35 PM

EyeTV definitely, but look into the Plextor ConvertX PVR instead of EyeTV 200. It encodes more codecs (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4), and works with EyeTV just like the EyeTV 200 (MPEG-2 only)--not to mention being a lot less expensive than the EyeTV 200.

joe
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac
EyeTV definitely, but look into the Plextor ConvertX PVR instead of EyeTV 200. It encodes more codecs (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4), and works with EyeTV just like the EyeTV 200 (MPEG-2 only)--not to mention being a lot less expensive than the EyeTV 200.
The EyeTV200 has on-board MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 hardware based encoding. I just checked the devices settings on mine. There are 9 presets covering all 3 codecs along with a custom preset where you can configure any of the codecs (mpeg1/2/4) the way you want. Of course the EyeTV software will let you export to other codecs if you want,

FWIW, the EyeTV200 is bus-powered using Firewire instead of USB. It saves the extra power supply cable, wall wart adapter, and an AC outlet which can be convenient. Nothing against the Plextor device. It's just that the EyeTV200 is feature comparable and has some advantages of it's own as well.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2005, 11:43 PM

Plextor is for PC only i believe

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 09:55 AM

Nope. There's a Mac version too. Check out Plextor and elgato's websites.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:39 PM

Nope. There's a Mac version too. Check out Plextor and elgato's websites.
yup,
the plextor hardware (mac and pc) is exactly the same. The difference is the software. Although you can't just by the PC version and expect to use it out of the box with the EyeTV software, as the software the mac hardware requires a serial number to enable it to work with EyeTV... and if you buy the Mac version with the intent to use it with both the mac and PC, you need to pay extra to buy the PC software. AFAIK, there is not yet an option to buy a serial number to enable the EyeTV software if you happen to get the PC version.
david

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:41 PM

The one benefit of the Plextor ConvertX is that it has a built in DivX encoder... that being said, EyeTV does not yet support DivX capture... yet...
david

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 02:42 PM

is it worth spending the money to buy a tuner for your computer or just buy a small tv?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by markb8705
just wandering if anyone had used this or use it reguarly, and how well it works because i am considering getting it when i get my iMac... I looked at the formac but i believe i like the EyeTv 200 better (ww.elgato.com) any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Mark,
I think one of the strongest benefits of buying the EyeTV 200 FW over the Plextor is that Elgato makes both the hardware and software, which tends to make things work a little better. Speaking from experience, I owned the original EyeTV USB, which was a fantastic device. I recently upgraded to the EyeTV USB wonder, which is awesome (although it does not include a built in encoder... meaning that when I record, it uses the mac's processor, which isn't a big deal for me because I have a dualie).

I did also try the Plextor ConvertX, but after going through 2 of them, I went back to the EyeTV Wonder. There was a quirk with the Plextor where I would either not get sound, or sometimes I would lose my signal (this happened with two different boxes and after reinstalls, repairing permissions, etc).

I am generally pleased with the EyeTV USB Wonder, although one quirk is that everytime the computer wakes from sleep, it opens a new video window, even though I have that option turned off in the preferences, and it sometimes does not like to sleep after it has woke up to record something, but these are quirks I can live with (although never had these problems with originall EyeTV USB.

One thing I would really like about the EyeTV 200 is the fact that it does not have a power brick, it uses firewire, and it comes with a remote control (not to mention Elgato controls both the hardware and software). The one drawback is the steep price. But it is a very elegant box compare to the EyeTV USB Wonder and the Plextor. (If you move it between different machines, you also do not need to worry about the serial number -- handy if you go to a friend or relatives place and plug it in to their mac and download the software).

I really like my EyeTV USB Wonder, and it was pretty cheap, I think I got it for $129... (a special price).
hope this insight helps,
david

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 03:28 PM

doesn't the USB one show up smaller than the firewire resolution wise

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 05:59 PM

the plextor hardware (mac and pc) is exactly the same.
No no no, the Mac version is a different model number (PX-TV402U-NA/MAC) than the PC version (PX-TV402U-NA). I have read that EyeTV checks for the Mac version.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 06:23 PM

No no no, the Mac version is a different model number (PX-TV402U-NA/MAC) than the PC version (PX-TV402U-NA). I have read that EyeTV checks for the Mac version.
Nope,
I had both, and they are exactly the same. The model number is different to differentiate the Mac version from the PC version (the NA/Macor NA indicates whether the software bundle is for a Mac or PC.) If you plug your PC version into the mac, it starts up the EyeTV software, which will ask you for a serial number. If the software has been serialized for a Mac, the PC version will work directly with the Mac. This is the same on the PC (although it is PC software that is serialized to work). So the EyeTV check is to see if it is the an Elgato product. If it is an Elgato product, then no serial number is needed. If it is the ATI USB Wonder or the Plextor, it will ask for the corresponding serial number (if already serialized for that type of hardware, it will work). The serial numbers are specific for either the ATI USB Wonder or the Plextor ConvertX.
david

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 06:27 PM

doesn't the USB one show up smaller than the firewire resolution wise
Mark,
The original EyeTV USB had 352x240 resolution. The ATI USB Wonder and the Plextor ConvertX scale appropriately (depending on the quality you select, ie VCD, DVD--- I believe the range is between 352x240 all the way up to 720x 480, with differing quality depending on the compression settings)
Good luck with your decision...
david
( Last edited by ddiokno; Apr 19, 2005 at 06:36 PM. )

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 06:31 PM

I did forget to add that there is a price disparity between the Mac and the PC version... I think between $20 to $40 more for the Mac version. Again, the hardware is exactly the same, but the software bundle is different. Serial numbers unlock the corresponding software for the given platform, so you can't readily buy a PC version and expect it to work with a Mac, because the free downloaded EyeTV software will not work with the ConvertX without a serial number... and if you buy the Mac ConvertX with the intention of using it with your Mac and PC, you will need to pay $40 (roughly) to buy the software to enable it to work with your PC.
The EyeTV must be more expensive to license to Plextor, but, in my opinion, it is more elegant than the PC software, with the exception that it does not enable the DivX encoding features of the ConvertX (at least not in the current 1.7.1 release. My guess is that it will be enabled in a future release.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 06:34 PM

is it worth spending the money to buy a tuner for your computer or just buy a small tv?
I think that the benefit of the tuner for your mac is two-fold... you are able to archive shows to DVD, CD, or your hard drive for later viewing, and you save space (no need for a separate TV or VCR/Tivo device).

It really simplifies things having fewer devices to have to worry about as these tuners take up very little space.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 06:35 PM

Another thing I forgot to add about the Plextor ConvertX was that the audio was very low (had to turn it up full blast to get decent sound), and this was with trying two different devices and on different machines. My EyeTV USB Wonder has great sound and a great picture....
david

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ddiokno
Another thing I forgot to add about the Plextor ConvertX was that the audio was very low (had to turn it up full blast to get decent sound), and this was with trying two different devices and on different machines. My EyeTV USB Wonder has great sound and a great picture....
david
david:

I've been debating between the EyeTV USB Wonder and the 200 (I have a dual 2.0). From the elgato product matrix, the only difference I can discern between the two (apart from remote control and Firewire) is that the USB Wonder doesn't capture to MPEG4. Is this true and has it made any difference to you? What do you usually capture to? Do you do any editing?

I've also considered the Alchemy products but as far as I can tell they don't have a DVR-like pause function.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by zigzag
david:

I've been debating between the EyeTV USB Wonder and the 200 (I have a dual 2.0). From the elgato product matrix, the only difference I can discern between the two (apart from remote control and Firewire) is that the USB Wonder doesn't capture to MPEG4. Is this true and has it made any difference to you? What do you usually capture to? Do you do any editing?

I've also considered the Alchemy products but as far as I can tell they don't have a DVR-like pause function.
Hey Zigzag,
I haven't used the EyeTV 200, but have used the Plextor Convertx, which has all of the same encoding settings as the 200 (although not sure if the chips are different, hence better or worse quality). I can say that when I had the ConvertX, I tried recording at the different settings... ie there were a couple of DVD settings, and also mpeg4. I would have to say that the best recordings came from the DVD (mpeg2) standard 120minute or high 60 minute recordings. The Longplay 180minute was okay, but it was a noticeable difference for the better with the standard 120minute setting. With the mpeg settings, for me the only true useable setting was the best mpeg4 setting which was 1.4GB per hour--- but I still liked the MPEG2 Long Play DVD setting which was 1.8GB per hour.

The only editing I do is to sometimes shorten some of the commercials so I can fit show on a DVD. I almost exclusively use the 120minute DVD Standard setting, and am very pleasd with the quality (again, this is personal opinion). I know that the convertX and teh EyeTV 200 have the same quality settings.

With a G5 dual, you should be perfectly fine... my machine is only a dual G4 1.33, and it is perfectly acceptable. There are only a few quirks that I mentioned earlier, but I not enough to make me dislike my product. I think that you can't go wrong with the USB Wonder, and with the $$$ saved, you can by either the ATI Wonder remote or the keyspan remote and have $$$ left over.
good luck and let me know if you have other questions.
david

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by zigzag
david:

I forgot to mention that one of the obvious benefits to the USB Wonder is that there is no video lag, ie you can plug in a playstation or other gaming machine and it would be useable as opposed to the EyeTV 200 where it compresses on the fly so you have a couple of second delay. The drawback to this is that if you want to replay certain parts, you need to actually be recording a program, because there is no live buffer otherwise.

If you want to be able to watch TV, record TV, and occasionally record live tv (so you can replay certain parts--- like sports), then I think you can't go wrong with the EyeTV USB Wonder. If you want to always have the replay function, either always hit the record TV button while using the USB Wonder, or get the EyeTV 200 where you always have the live buffer.
ciao...
david

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2005, 02:07 AM

I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread here, but I hope that's better than starting a new one. Here's my situation:

I'm going to be spending the summer living in an apartment on a college campus. Since it's basically a converted dorm room, it comes with basic furniture like beds & desks, but no TV. Apparently there is a working cable jack though. I can't bring a TV with me, but I'm thinking of getting an EyeTV for my PB so I can watch TV, but I'm having trouble deciding between the EyeTV 200 or the Wonder USB 2.0. My main concern is that the device be as small and portable as possible. Being able to rewind live TV, etc. isn't that important to me, I just want to be able to watch programs live, and maybe if I don't need my PB at work with me every night, I might want to record something once in a while.

My PB is a Rev. A Albook 15", 1.25gHz. I'd especially like to hear experiences from people with a similar setup as to whether this is enough to get decent resolution (nothing fancy, just being able to see what's going on), and overall how well it works. I like the fact that the FW version doesn't require external power, but it's also much more expensive. So basically, which would you pick in my situation and why?

Thanks!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by KP*
I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread here, but I hope that's better than starting a new one. Here's my situation:

I'm going to be spending the summer living in an apartment on a college campus. Since it's basically a converted dorm room, it comes with basic furniture like beds & desks, but no TV. Apparently there is a working cable jack though. I can't bring a TV with me, but I'm thinking of getting an EyeTV for my PB so I can watch TV, but I'm having trouble deciding between the EyeTV 200 or the Wonder USB 2.0. My main concern is that the device be as small and portable as possible. Being able to rewind live TV, etc. isn't that important to me, I just want to be able to watch programs live, and maybe if I don't need my PB at work with me every night, I might want to record something once in a while.

My PB is a Rev. A Albook 15", 1.25gHz. I'd especially like to hear experiences from people with a similar setup as to whether this is enough to get decent resolution (nothing fancy, just being able to see what's going on), and overall how well it works. I like the fact that the FW version doesn't require external power, but it's also much more expensive. So basically, which would you pick in my situation and why?

Thanks!
Hi KP,
I haven't used the EyeTV 200, but have had experience with the original EyeTV USB, EyeTV USB Wonder, and the Plextor ConvertX DVD. I ended up with going with the EyeTV USB Wonder and couldn't be happier. In the above, I'm sure you've read my comments. I actually have used it with my PowerMac DP 1.33 and my Powerbook 1.67. It works great either machine. I also bought one for my father, who uses an iBook 1Ghz and it works perfectly fine on his machine. The resolution is actually pretty awesome, although the one drawback is that your machine does the processing, so you probably wouldn't be able to do hardcore work while watching tv (basic browsing and/or worprocessing or other general office stuff probably wouldn't be an issue). All of the resolutions are decent (definitely enough to tell what is going on), so I don't think you will be disappointed in the aspect. If money isn't an option, I would go with the EyeTV 200 because it is aesthetically more pleasing, doesn't require a power adapter, and comes with a remote (not to mention if you want to be able to pause live tv without having to record a show to enable that feeature). If you want to save some cash, definitely consider the EyeTV USB Wonder. It produces an awesome picture and is a lot less expensive (do a search on pricegrabber for the least expensive site).
good luck and feel free to ask more questions...
david

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 05:48 PM

Thanks David,
I decided to go with the EyeTV 200, as I was concerned with the USB Wonder not having its own compression abilities with my somewhat underpowered single 1.25 gHz processor. I read some online reviews which said it didn't do well with recording on less powerful CPUs. I also like that I don't have to pack a power cable with the FW model.

I've only had it set up for about a half hour, but I'm really impressed with it. I'm amazed how lightweight the box is, which will help me a lot in my packing. Thanks for your advice!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by KP*
Thanks David,
I decided to go with the EyeTV 200, as I was concerned with the USB Wonder not having its own compression abilities with my somewhat underpowered single 1.25 gHz processor. I read some online reviews which said it didn't do well with recording on less powerful CPUs. I also like that I don't have to pack a power cable with the FW model.

I've only had it set up for about a half hour, but I'm really impressed with it. I'm amazed how lightweight the box is, which will help me a lot in my packing. Thanks for your advice!
Sounds great! You couldn't go wrong either way! At least now you have a remote control, too! Another huge benefit with the EyeTV 200 is that Elgato makes both the hardware and software.

Don't forget to go to Elgato's website and get the most current version of the software, which is at 1.8.
Regards,
david

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 03:56 PM

I know I should just read up, but does it have a Firewire pass through and/or will it work fine with the Firewire 800 port if you have an adapter?

Originally Posted by ddiokno
One thing I would really like about the EyeTV 200 is the fact that it does not have a power brick, it uses firewire, and it comes with a remote control (not to mention Elgato controls both the hardware and software).
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 04:05 PM

It has a FW pass through but they don't recommend using it with anything that draws power from the FW (like an iPod )

I don't know about the FW 800 adapter, but I'd be interested in that too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules