Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X trouble loading images online?

OS X trouble loading images online?
kylemacr
Jan 10, 2008, 07:30 PM

So I have a problem... I had it with 10.4 and I still have it with 10.5. On sites like Facebook, MySpace... pretty much anything with a lot of pictures, I constantly get images that don't load. For instance, if I go to Facebook and pull up a page of someone's photos, there will almost always be a handful that just don't load. This occurs in every single browser I've tried (Safari, FireFox, Opera, Camino).

The weird thing is that using Vista in bootcamp, I have no issues whatsoever, which leads me to think this is an OS X problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cold Warrior
Jan 10, 2008, 07:33 PM

Can you give us an example page we could test with our Mac browsers?

kylemacr  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 08:38 PM

Google maps is a great example... it's almost impossible to use on the Mac side because the maps are comprised of small square images, and oftentimes at least half don't load.

Google Maps

Cold Warrior
Jan 10, 2008, 08:46 PM

Do you have any third-party drivers or hacks installed?

kylemacr  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 08:55 PM

Nothing... in fact it's always been like this, even after fresh OS installs. It does it at home and at school, two different ISPs, for what it's worth.

Cold Warrior
Jan 10, 2008, 09:12 PM

Try changing your DNS servers. I recommend OpenDNS. Their servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 10:07 PM

Does it do this with a different OS X account on the same machine?

kylemacr  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 11:14 PM

yeah, it happens under each account, and I already tried openDNS, good idea though! :-)

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 02:26 PM

Are you using a router? I have found that my Mac doesn't work so well using my Linksys router but the PCs on my network work perfectly.

kylemacr  (op)
Jan 12, 2008, 06:14 PM

aha, it must be the router! I have a netgear router... hmm... that's a shame, I wonder why that would happen?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 01:26 PM

I don't know either but try connecting your Mac directly to your modem and see if that solves the problem. It works for me but it is a rather annoying solution though. I don't think the router companies tested their products on Macs too often since we are in the minority. Some of them don't even have much Mac support which is very frustrating.

Although to be fair there is one website I know of that doesn't work too well on my PCs until I disconnect the router so it seems that the router might be too aggressive about blocking some sites. I also notice that my internet speeds seem to be faster when I connect directly to my modem but that could be subjective. I'm still in search of the best router for Macs.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 01:34 PM

This is *not* a platform specific issue with your router. A router simply sends data over 802.11, it doesn't know or care about the platform which it is sending data too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules