Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iCloud and MobileMe woes

iCloud and MobileMe woes
Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 11:33 AM

Okay, I'm perplexed.

I went through the whole iOS 5 update. I started going through some online wizard for iCloud transition. It told me to back up my contacts. I backed up my contacts.

Then the wizard was gone and I was staring at my MobileMe contacts online.

What the flip do I do?

My contacts are now checked on my iPhone for both MobileMe and iCloud.

My e-mail is under MobileMe...can it stay like that or will that option evaporate in June?

I'm very unimpressed with the ease of Apple's supposedly easy switcheroo here.

Oh, and what the heck do I do when my automatically downloaded purchases fill up my phone?

Can someone talk me through this? Apple finally got a store here...maybe I should go to the genius bar.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 11:41 AM

IIUYC, what you need to do is go into your Mac's System Preferences and click on the "iCloud" pane. This will take you to the account transfer page.

AFAIK, your email should be all good. I'm gonna be pissed if it isn't, cause dotmac/MobileMe has been my primary email since 2004.

For the automatic downloads, I assume you'd manage your space on the page you get when you plug it in. Just like before if your settings were such that you'd overload your phone.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 11:46 AM

Yeah, but isn't the idea that we don't have to plug the iOS devices in anymore?

I know we get to keep our addresses for .me (not sure about .mac) but I just don't know how to leave it set up. Is my phone going to still be able to use the MobileMe pane (and servers?) even after MobileMe is gone?

Ah, screw it, I made a genius bar appointment, but they are going to have one grumpy Apple fanboy on their hands.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 11:51 AM

Well, not exactly... What are you supposed to do once your phone fills up without a user-accessible file system?

Likewise, you should plug it in every now and then so it gets to run a backup.

As for mail, your MobileMe pane switches to an iCloud pane in all the Mail apps.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 12:08 PM

Oh... I soooo hope we get an [email protected] for our MobileMe accounts. I don't think you can be more obnoxiously self-involved than to name something "me".

My dad flat-out refused to let me join him up for that reason.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 12:33 PM

If I turn on iCloud backup on the iPhone, can it still wirelessly sync with iTunes? Because it doesn't show up there.

Cold Warrior
Oct 15, 2011, 12:45 PM

Did you enable wifi sync in iTunes' settings?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Likewise, you should plug it in every now and then so it gets to run a backup..
Just noticed it doesn't do a backup to your computer if you turn on wifi sync.

Not sure I'm too thrilled about that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If I turn on iCloud backup on the iPhone, can it still wirelessly sync with iTunes? Because it doesn't show up there.
This was confusing to me too. I found out that the manual wireless sync option is now in iOS' settings, but the sync options aren't. I think the only way to get the options is to connect via USB the old fashioned way.

It's not a very well designed feature at all. I too was expecting to see my phone show up in the iTunes sidebar...

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2011, 03:09 PM

So...When you update an iPhone to iOS5, is iCloud syncing mandatory? Or, can you skip doing anything with iCloud and still update to iOS5?
I'm asking because my wife's office has all their inter-office calendering set-up using the owner's MobileMe account. None of that has been transferred over to work under iCloud and, from what little I can figure-out, there are reason why that hasn't happened yet.

If you have to set-up iCloud when you update to iOS5, I'll want to hold-off updating my wife's iPhone until they get the transition worked-out internally. I wouldn't want my wife to suddenly be cut-off from the office calendar.

The office hasn't updated to Lion, either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 03:14 PM

When I did it, it wiped everything until I synced my Mac with iCloud.

Which of course, I couldn't do at the time because their servers were overloaded.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

I got mine ironed out, but I haven't switched to Photostream yet. When I get my wife a 4S, then I will. Until then, it's still DropBox for our photo synching.

DropBox will still have my business for file synching as iCloud seems very lightweight for this. I mean, do they have no sense of how many files people produce for work? You think I want all of that in one folder?!?

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2011, 04:11 PM

Does iCloud magically appear in place of MobileMe in your Mac's System Preferences once you sync your iPhone? I'm still on 10.6.8 and there's no iCloud in there, just MobileMe. Or does this all require an upgrade to Lion, as well?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 05:12 PM

You need the most up-to-date Lion, and then yes, it just replaces the MobileMe pane.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You need the most up-to-date Lion, and then yes, it just replaces the MobileMe pane.
No, it doesn't. It's automatically added, though, that's true.

I still have the MobileMe pane in System Preferences. You need it to manage the iDisk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules