Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto and Photostream

iPhoto and Photostream
Helmling
Mac Elite
May 19, 2012, 11:25 PM

Maybe somebody's already been through all this, but I didn't see any thread that addressed my situation--which is leaving me scratching my head.

So I've got Photostream turned on on all my devices. So far, I thought I knew how it worked. We take a pic on the iPad or my wife's iPhone, and it turnes up in iPhoto on our Macs under an event called "May Photostream" or whatever.

So I guess I thought it would work the same way with photos imported to iPhoto. So we loaded a whole bunch of pictures off a digital camera and sure enough they upload into the Photostream...

But then they just sit there.

How come? Am I supposed to drag them out of Photostream into my photo library? Why does it work that way with photos imported to the Mac and not ones taken on the iOS devices?

I'm perplexed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2012, 09:51 AM

If iPhoto is uploading them into Photo stream, they're in your library. Look harder.

(biggest mistake is to have the wrong date set in the camera. The photo events will be there, but sorted under Jan. 2008, or something)

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2012, 12:03 PM

Nope, that was the first thing I checked.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Yes, they're in the library for the computer I uploaded them to, but they didn't sync to the other Macs connected to the photostream.

In fact, now the photos taken on my wife's iPhone are only displaying in the Photostream on this computer (the one where I uploaded the big batch yesterday). It's like it's not really connected, even though the Photostream is on in System Preferences and iPhoto.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2012, 12:17 PM

You're talking about transfer of photos BETWEEN TWO MACS?

Oh. Nothing in your initial post made any mention of this.

ibook_steve
May 20, 2012, 03:11 PM

If you import photos into iPhoto from a camera, as far as I've seen you have to manually drag and drop those photos into Photo Stream in the library list on the left to make them available to all devices. This is not necessary for iDevices.

If Photo Stream is behaving oddly, try shutting it off in both System Preferences and in iPhoto and then turning it back on. Your photos will need to be re-downloaded, but it might clear up the issues you are having.

Crossing fingers that more control over PS (as well as sharing) will be available either after WWDC or with Mountain Lion!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If you import photos into iPhoto from a camera, as far as I've seen you have to manually drag and drop those photos into Photo Stream in the library list on the left to make them available to all devices. This is not necessary for iDevices.
that should NOT be necessary.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
that should NOT be necessary.
And yet, it appears to be. I did exactly as he said and I seem to be synced up now.

I'm going to second his call for more control over PhotoStream. Take, for example, the photos taken on my wife's iPhone. They're in the computer's iPhoto library now, but on the phone itself, they're just stuck in limbo on the camera roll.

So now what? Well, plug it in and sync them into the Photos, of course. That, though, seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of the whole PhotoStream.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I'm going to second his call for more control over PhotoStream. Take, for example, the photos taken on my wife's iPhone. They're in the computer's iPhoto library now, but on the phone itself, they're just stuck in limbo on the camera roll.

So now what? Well, plug it in and sync them into the Photos, of course. That, though, seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of the whole PhotoStream.
This has nothing to do with Photo Stream though.

This is just the fact that the Photos section is synced from the computer, and everything you do directly on the device goes into the Camera Roll.

In this case, you're asking for on-device photo library management, which needs to come, but to which Photo Stream is completely irrelevant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules