Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes FUBAR

iTunes FUBAR
Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2012, 03:04 PM

Okay, so iTunes has gone loopy on my wife's old Macbook. I can't figure out what's going on. When we launch it, no music or playlists appear. It's like a clean install, but when I check the finder, the music files are all there. I've tried moving the iTunes folder away, letting iTunes create a new one and then replacing the new one with the folder that has all our songs, but it doesn't work.

Any idea what's going on?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2012, 04:47 PM

You could try holding the Alt key while you launch iTunes and then pointing it to the existing Library. If that doesn't work I can only imagine one of the library files has become corrupted. Easiest way to fix that is to create a new blank library as you have done and then re-import everything. You should be able to just dump the existing iTunes folder into the playlist window and let it take care of itself. It will forget which videos you've watched etc etc.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2012, 05:37 PM

I copied all the library files off another computer and superimposed them and that worked. Guess you're right, the library got corrupted somehow.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2012, 11:31 PM

Actually, the easiest wa would have been to remove the library file and replace it either with the Time Machine backup, or with one of the files from the library backups folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules