Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 169)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Really all it does is point out that the real difference in quality between the consoles is marginal at best. I am surprised that the Wii isn't below the 360 on the list though, considering the crap that third-party publishers put out for it.
MOst of the crap shovelware on the Wii never even gets reviewed, if it did this chart would be pretty funny.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 01:47 PM

For those of you (like me) who think the new xbox looks tacky, I give you the matte-finish Xbox 360 S Arcade:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2010, 01:48 PM

Looks better, but the power button looks like it should be adorning all four tires on your Escalade.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 02:00 PM

4gb on the box, is that the Jasper system or has it got extra flash memory?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2010, 02:00 PM

The new arcades will have more memory.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 02:50 PM

Ugh....$150 for the Kinect?

Also...2 player limit? The rumors persist.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 22, 2010, 10:28 AM

NPD: PC retail and digital distribution sales reaching parity | Joystiq
How much is retails' disinterest in PC gaming to blame? (probably not much, but it doesn't help)

Report: Online-Only Games The Latest Problem For Aussie Censors
In case everyone forgot that Australia is thoroughly retarded when it comes to the subject of gaming.

Rumor: Microsoft Killed Plans For "PC vs Xbox 360" Online Play
Problems quickly arose in testing, however, when Microsoft found that even the best console gamers simply couldn't compete with the accuracy a mouse and keyboard afforded a PC player. "The console players got destroyed every time", Sood says. "So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative."
I'm sure Kinect will dramatically close that gap.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2010, 10:34 AM

Anybody here played Limbo yet on XBLA? It's amazing.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2010, 02:09 AM

Looks like I'm the "Xbox PR shot repost" guy:

This is the first one that's made me consider ditching my launch console.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2010, 09:38 AM

That one actually looks pretty decent. Too bad it comes with that game though…

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2010, 10:52 AM

Medal Of Honor Developers Now Known As Danger Close [UPDATE]
Other developers looking into changing names to Steady Aim, SitRep, and Last Stand.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2010, 02:26 PM

Just in case someone here cares...

XBLM sales surpassed Live subscriptions as Microsoft Xbox Div. income grew in fiscal year | Joystiq
Microsoft has posted financial results for its fiscal fourth quarter and year, which ended June 30. The Entertainment and Devices Division (EDD), of which the Xbox 360 and PC gaming business are a part of, posted revenues of $1.6 billion for the quarter, up from $1.25 billion during the same period last year. Revenue exclusive to the Xbox and PC gaming business was up to $228 million, a 30 percent increase.

EDD also posted an operating loss of $172 million, which grew for the $141 million recorded during the same quarter last year. Factors contributing to the loss included increased marketing costs, increased third-party sales on Xbox Live Marketplace and the discontinuation of the KIN phone.

Microsoft's full fiscal year 2010 report paints a brighter picture, with the EDD posting an operating income of $679 million, up from $108 million in fiscal 2009, an increase of 528 percent. The increased income was due primarily to reduced operating expenses. Revenue costs also decreased $528 million, thanks largely to lower Xbox 360 production costs. Fiscal 2010 revenues were essentially flat at just over $8 billion.

Additionally, Microsoft moved 1.5 million Xbox 360 consoles during the quarter, compared to 1.2 million during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009. In all, 10.3 million consoles were sold in fiscal 2010, down from 11.2 million the previous year. Meanwhile, Xbox Live now has 25 million members, and our cohorts at Engadget report that Xbox Live Marketplace revenue has exceeded Xbox Live subscription revenue for the first time.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That one actually looks pretty decent. Too bad it comes with that game though…
Why? Did you already pre-order it? Haw Haw

I see LIMBO is now available on xbox Arcade? Has anyone tried it out yet?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Why? Did you already pre-order it? Haw Haw

I see LIMBO is now available on xbox Arcade? Has anyone tried it out yet?
I asked earlier, and nobody replied, but yes, I've tried it (well, bought it). Best to play it in the quiet hours of the night... you may have trouble sleeping

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2010, 02:07 PM

ESRB outs NBA Jam on Xbox 360 and PS3 | Joystiq
Though EA continues to dance around a version of NBA Jam for consoles beyond Wii, the United States' ESRB is the latest ratings agency to announce the game for Xbox 360 and PS3. The German USK listed the cherished basketball game for high-def consoles earlier this month.

We're -- once again -- following up for official comment from EA. We know the ratings boards can't be the only ones looking for the game on more systems.
Posting because I think its hilarious that EA tried to pull one over on Nintendo & Wii owners.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2010, 02:33 PM

I keep telling myself that I'll only play NBA Jam for two weeks, so I shouldn't get it, but...

There's no way I can pass up some boomshakalaka.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2010, 02:36 PM

I very much doubt its going to be a $60 anyway.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 02:51 PM

Knowing EA, it will be $39.95 plus an extra 150 MS points for each game code you want to enable (Big Heads, Infinite boost, etc.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2010, 03:59 PM

I would like a Bush 43, Bush 41, and Ronald Reagan pairing against an Obama, Bill, and Hill team.

I just wouldn't know which of the Bushes to pair up with Reagan...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2010, 04:03 PM

The VP would make the most sense.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2010, 10:32 AM

Preview: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit | Joystiq
However, I still have my doubts based on a few observations. For one, the cars just don't feel very fast and have poor handling. Being accustomed to the tight controls of games like Split/Second and Criterion's own Burnout, I was baffled by the loose handling of the Hot Pursuit cars. Additionally, the game could easily succumb to the biggest problem that plagued Paradise's online mode: the expansive map made certain events feel barren and uncompetitive.

So far, Hot Pursuit doesn't look to deliver the high-octane thrills that I expect from a Criterion game. Even the team's iconic crashes aren't very satisfying in this game. While the licensed cars showcase a good deal of damage, the over-the-top Hollywood physics of a Burnout game don't seem present. Maybe cars aren't always supposed to flip over, transform into flying fireballs and explode into buses, but at least that would give Need for Speed the boost of adrenaline it's sorely missing right now.
Scathing. Not good news, but I do appreciate guys who do previews without pulling punches.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2010, 11:24 AM

Wait, so basically he wants the absurdly unrealistic NFS driving dynamic to go above and beyond absurdly unrealistic to the real of a Hollywood film?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2010, 11:30 AM

He wants Burnout with NFS styling and branding.

But seriously, play NFS III (Generally regarded as the best NFS). It's absurdly unrealistic, and that's why it was fun. It was with IV that you started to see them ty to close the gap on realism, likely thanks to Gran Tursimo's sudden arrival on the scene.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2010, 02:14 PM

But it's still really unrealistic. In the demo of Shift, I was amazed at how easy it was to powerslide the Nissan GTR, a car that won't slide at all in real life.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
But it's still really unrealistic. In the demo of Shift, I was amazed at how easy it was to powerslide the Nissan GTR, a car that won't slide at all in real life.
Is that "really unrealistic" or is that practical towards giving fun gameplay. This isn't Forza (or worse, Gran Tursimo). Racing isn't supposed to be a chore.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 07:35 PM

The sliding around in Shift is why I hated that game. It felt like you were driving on ice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2010, 10:30 AM

Microsoft defends Kinect pricing | Joystiq
Two points, MS, none good:
1. You're losing the PR war
2. The people who this is aimed at are the type least likely to ever read your defense

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
The sliding around in Shift is why I hated that game. It felt like you were driving on ice.
Sounds like they programmed a really shitty powerslide system.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2010, 10:38 AM

First Look At NBA Jam's Retro Superstars

While we knew that retro stars like Johnson and rival Larry Bird were going to feature in the game, this is the first we've seen any of them in screenshots, and is the first we've seen or heard of Rodman's inclusion in the game.

Luckily, they more than make amends with some of the other legends making an appearance, with Hakeem Olajuwon, James Worthy, Kevin McHale, Detlef Schremph, Spud Webb, and the sadly recently-deceased Manute Bol joining Johnson, Bird and Rodman in the reboot of Midway's 1993 arcade classic.
Rodman? Oh yeah.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Does anyone else think Manute Bol is an odd choice as a retro "superstar?" Seems kind of crazy, considering he was really only known for being a tall, gangly philanthropist.

I still wish I knew when the PS3/360 version is hitting the shelves.

Also, I'm addicted to NCAA Football 11's Team Builder. I have no other gaming life.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2010, 01:20 PM

Also, I'm addicted to NCAA Football 11's Team Builder. I have no other gaming life.
[Tangent]Madden 11 due in a week or so.[/Tangent]

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2010, 03:15 PM

Is that "really unrealistic" or is that practical towards giving fun gameplay. This isn't Forza (or worse, Gran Tursimo). Racing isn't supposed to be a chore.
IMHO, if they are going to go to the trouble of licensing cars, I don't want them to all drive the same. I want it to be realistic. I love Forza because every car actually feels different, and the cars that should be neutral are neutral. The cars that should understeer actually understeer. GRID is a great example of a game that has good (enough) dynamics but still has a very fun arcade feel to it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
[Tangent]Madden 11 due in a week or so.[/Tangent]
It's going to take a lot for me to buy another Madden game. If it wasn't for Team Builder, I probably wouldn't have even bought NCAA 11. The games are good, but they require so much of an investment in scouting/drafting/training and so on. It's great for football crazies, but I'm more of a basketball/soccer guy these days.

That said, FIFA 11 is going to rule my life.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 10:07 AM

IMHO, if they are going to go to the trouble of licensing cars, I don't want them to all drive the same.
Burnout had unlicensed cars that did not drive the same. It's not that hard.

I want it to be realistic.
Then don't play this game. Or any NFS.

GRID is a great example of a game that has good (enough) dynamics but still has a very fun arcade feel to it.
Well something about it must have lacking because that thing never took off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 10:10 AM

NBA JAM was a long con.

NBA Jam Confirmed For 360, PS3 (But There's A Nasty Catch)
"And the only way to play 'Jam' on the 360 and PS3 is by picking up 'Elite'. There's a one-time use code that will be in every copy of 'Elite', so you just go online and redeem it. We're not selling 'Jam' on PSN or Xbox Live. If you still want the full product, the full experience is on the Wii, but if you pick up 'Elite', you're still getting a good taste of it, especially with the inclusion of online play."

Way to go, EA. I didn't think it was possible to dampen my enthusiasm for this game, but you pretty much just found a way to do it. Either pay full price for a Wii version that (so far) lacks online play, or buy a basketball game I don't want and get a glorified demo of the game I did want.

Then again, since this will both boost sales of NBA Elite and kill the game's re-sale value, it's probably mission accomplished from where they're sitting.

Call Of Duty Map Packs Downloaded Over 20 Million Times
The publisher revealed today that over 20 million map packs for the Call of Duty franchise have now been sold. That's not just Modern Warfare, it's for the entire franchise, but boh oh boy, 20 million.
Sounds like a lot, but how many copies of the game were sold?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 11:52 AM

Well something about it must have lacking because that thing never took off.
It did fine, and received great reviews. At least it was successful enough for Codemasters to start work on a 2nd GRID, which is good news for people who liked it!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 11:55 AM

It did fine, and received great reviews. At least it was successful enough for Codemasters to start work on a 2nd GRID, which is good news for people who liked it!
I did see it was reviewed very well, however its of note )to me) that it didn't make a mark on these forums, unlike Forza or Burnout. Didn't know it was up for sequel, which does say something.

Edit: Tell me, any opinion on PGR?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 12:06 PM

Personally, I usually hate NFS-type racers.

But I am one of those rare breed that loves the ultra-realism of the Grand Turismo and Forza series.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 12:07 PM

And laps. Lots and lots of laps.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 12:14 PM

That's the fun! Your tires start to heat up around lap 5 and you can start besting your previous laps. really that's most of the game right there, trying to beat your old best times around the track.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That's the fun!
Not when the slightest mistake will cost you any chance at winning a race. Then it becomes "don't **** up".

Your tires start to heat up around lap 5 and you can start besting your previous laps. really that's most of the game right there, trying to beat your old best times around the track.
That's completely masturbatory. Why put other cars on the grid, then? I'd rather win races.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 12:20 PM

Well, honestly, winning the races is the easy part. Unfortunately once you get a feel for the car and track there is no way in hell the AI can keep up with you. So the only thing left to keep you pushing the limit is beating your track times.

I find holding down 'gas' and going full speed everywhere without any need for real racing skill is masturbatory. Ramp off the hotdog cart, hit nitrous, and slide around on the rails of the track....boooooring.

Also, with Forza 3, if you are on lap 14/15 and tank the wall you can reverse time and not do that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 12:36 PM

Well, honestly, winning the races is the easy part.
Sounds like an issue with the game.

I find holding down 'gas' and going full speed everywhere without any need for real racing skill is masturbatory. Ramp off the hotdog cart, hit nitrous, and slide around on the rails of the track....boooooring.
While that's a simplified view of the arcade game, the fun usually has to do with navigating the maps, either by dealing with the more unpredictable element, the traffic, or by picking faster routes or locating shortcuts. Spontaneity vs. monotony.

(In one sense simulation is the search for perfection, while arcade is the act of creativity)

Also, with Forza 3, if you are on lap 14/15 and tank the wall you can reverse time and not do that.
Yeah, that's an improvement, but it was too little too late for me. I gave up sim racing in 2001. Took them 8 years to come up with that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2010, 10:41 AM

EA Sports Online Pass redeemed by 60% of users, says EA | Joystiq
During EA's Q1 financial conference call, COO John Schappert discussed the success of the company's "Online Pass" initiative. According to Schappert, early results from NCAA Football 11 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 indicated that "sixty percent to seventy percent of online connected users" have redeemed a code for Online Pass. He noted further that "the level of online play is up" over last year, as is revenue from paid downloadable content.

When asked how Online Pass has impacted used game sales, Schappert noted that it's "too early to tell" but that EA is "encouraged by" the number of people playing online, and that the "extra gift" offered by Online Pass is "driving some of that adoption."
No idea how to interpret the numbers, though the guy deserves a foot up the ass for calling online multiplayer an "extra gift."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2010, 06:18 PM

Sounds like an issue with the game.
Why? Once you get used to a car, it's pretty easy to win races unless you aren't paying attention. And if you don't like winning, you can turn up the difficulty.

While that's a simplified view of the arcade game, the fun usually has to do with navigating the maps, either by dealing with the more unpredictable element, the traffic, or by picking faster routes or locating shortcuts. Spontaneity vs. monotony.
I agree with you in one sense, but I also feel as if arcade-style racing games are the same old stuff over and over, whereas simulation-type games are always figuring out new ways to get the most accurate experience in the hands of the players.
vity)

Yeah, that's an improvement, but it was too little too late for me. I gave up sim racing in 2001. Took them 8 years to come up with that.
Well what other game lets you rewind, especially 8 years ago?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2010, 11:47 AM

It seems that to really get the most out of the experiences GT and Forza offer, you have to be a car aficionado. I really don't care about cars. I enjoyed Forza 2/3 each for a while, then dropped it cold turkey. Burnout: Paradise, on the other hand, I loved and still hop on from time to time (it's been a while only because of my interest in other games).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 5, 2010, 12:03 PM

Why? Once you get used to a car, it's pretty easy to win races unless you aren't paying attention. And if you don't like winning, you can turn up the difficulty.
I've read this three times and either you don't understand what sek said or you're insane.

I agree with you in one sense, but I also feel as if arcade-style racing games are the same old stuff over and over, whereas simulation-type games are always figuring out new ways to get the most accurate experience in the hands of the players.
So, you're somehow equating the wide-ranging styles and physics of arcade games to "the same thing over and over" but the incremental improvements to simulation physics as not? Hello, McFly?

Well what other game lets you rewind, especially 8 years ago?
Once again, your question makes no sense in the context of what you quoted.

It seems that to really get the most out of the experiences GT and Forza offer, you have to be a car aficionado. I really don't care about cars. I enjoyed Forza 2/3 each for a while, then dropped it cold turkey. Burnout: Paradise, on the other hand, I loved and still hop on from time to time (it's been a while only because of my interest in other games).
I call bullshit on that. My biggest gripe out Burnout (and GTA) has always been the fake cars. I love(d) the early NFS series because of its focus on Supercars. What I'm not as interested in is parsing the 27 different Nissan GT-R models. I think that goes well past aficionado.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2010, 03:02 PM

I call bullshit on that. My biggest gripe out Burnout (and GTA) has always been the fake cars. I love(d) the early NFS series because of its focus on Supercars. What I'm not as interested in is parsing the 27 different Nissan GT-R models. I think that goes well past aficionado.
Might be for everyone else, but racing sims just get really boring for me, and Forza probably wouldn't have even lasted that long if it hadn't been for the custom decals.

I never really cared for the NFS series. Underground was okay at the time, but almost every title after it sucked. Burnout: Paradise was the gift that just kept giving.

I think Sony's Motorstorm series is under-appreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2010, 06:19 PM

Once again, your question makes no sense in the context of what you quoted.
What do you mean? I think you're the one who's having trouble reading here. You said that it took "them" 8 years to come up with rewinding a racing game. As in you were implying that it's the only change that's occurred over 8 years and it should have been around in the beginning.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2010, 12:09 AM

Might be for everyone else, but racing sims just get really boring for me, and Forza probably wouldn't have even lasted that long if it hadn't been for the custom decals.
You're not alone, they bore me too.

The only reason I PGR ? ( can't remember the #) was because I got it free with something else. Got a copy of Forza, free too. Haven't touched it.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules