Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > I must be an idiot, touchpad doesn't work on resume from hibernate

I must be an idiot, touchpad doesn't work on resume from hibernate
trappedatuf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 06:18 AM

Ok, so I've read and read and I can't find anything definitive on this for Windows XP.

I am runnning WinXP (via Boot Camp) on my MacBook. It runs great but when I hibernate and then resume my touchpad (trackpad) doesn't work. It is so frustrating because I hardly ever restart my computer, I just resume from hibernation.

Now since this isn't talked about that much I'd assume that I am in the minority with this problem. If so how can I fix it? I have read some places that disabling and reenabling the touchpad driver would work but (A) it's a pain to distinguish what driver is the touchpad in the system > hardware profile and (B) disabling/reenabling did not bring my touchpad back to life!

Please help me solve this little issue with my new MacBook, thanks! :-)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2007, 09:05 AM

I have never hibernated my MBP while running XP (either direct boot or through Parallels), so I'm not sure what you're seeing isn't normal behavior. In hibernation the computer is OFF, unlike a Mac's sleep where it's running at a VERY low level. Windows' equivalent to sleep is "suspend."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

trappedatuf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 01:15 PM

Yeah, that is why I hibernate because it turns the computer completly off and allows for a quick resume from where I was working when I restart it again.

I can't imagine this being a problem for everyone because I am positive there would be more posts about it! It's really annoying because I broke the touchpad on my old laptop and for 1 year had to use a mouse with it, and now I get my NEW MacBook and have to use the same damned mouse even tho it should all work, arrrghhh! Frustration.

ibook_steve
Mar 28, 2007, 01:37 PM

Try reinstalling the drivers from the BC CD.

Steve

trappedatuf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 06:18 PM

I did that and it still isn't working :-(

ibook_steve... do you have bootcamp running with XP? If you do, does your touchpad work when resuming from hibernation?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 06:29 PM

I've had that same problem with Vista and sleep (instead of XP and hibernate). Apple just released Boot Camp 1.2 today, so why not download that and try the new drivers? Hopefully it'll make a difference.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

trappedatuf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 12:41 AM

IT WORKS!!! Thanks for the heads up on the the update TheoCryst. It is so nice I don't have to tote around that stupid mouse anymore. I hope this helps others if they had this issue as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2007, 08:23 AM

I wondered about this a lot. In "hibernate," the computer is supposed to be dead, cold, OFF. So I never expected the computer to be able to respond to the touchpad, being completely off and all. I am now reminded that the power button is not a real "power switch," but rather a logic-level switch that tells some very low power, low level function to turn the computer on. So why shouldn't the touchpad resume the machine from hibernate? Thanks for straightening me out. And I'm glad the 1.2 update helped you out, trappedatuf.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules