Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs (Page 5)
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2011, 01:55 PM

awesome thx!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2011, 04:12 PM

Triumph of the Nerds?

Even if that's not it, triumph of the nerds is fantastic. Available on DVD from Netflix.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2011, 10:42 PM

it was called, in search of excellence

it was based on the book... hard to find the video

btw thanks that doc was great...i remember watching it back then

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Dunno know about the one your looking for but I can recommend one called The Machine that Changed the World, on youtube all 5 parts full hour long each that is one of the best computer shows I have ever seen from 1992 which also was pretty dead on in predictions. The 3rd video has a lot on Steve Jobs and Apple.
Much appreciated!!!!! Here's the link to the first part for those who are interested The Machine That Changed The World(part 1) (and i was pleasantly surprised to see the parts have not been divided into multiple parts)

Cheers

PS>> I think Part 3 is about Apple

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2011, 07:15 PM

seek and ye shall find

i found a 10 minute clip of the show i was asking about

The First Macintosh - YouTube

andi*pandi
Oct 31, 2011, 08:55 AM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 05:07 PM

^ Great post by Stephen Fry. Just great.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 1, 2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Most of this is rubbish.
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
All
Lack of space, ram modules in those days where chip by chip sockets which took up a lot of space. The 30 Pin simm was invented in late 1983 well after development of the first Macintosh. The ram standard of the day was 8 to 32kb so the first Macintosh had 4 times the amount of a standard computer so it was assumed who would need more then this early on. Smaller chips allowed for the 512kb Macintosh which was a LOT of ram in its day before the plus finally got the 30 pin simm which was one of the first commercial computers to use them along with the 286 and Atari STE. Was clearly a space choice, could fit MORE ram in a small space by building it into the logic board. Its no different then how the Macbook Air has its ram built into the logic board and a very customized SSD to fit into such a small space. Its why the iPhone ram is not up-gradable either.
Wishful thinking. In fact the Mac was an expensive machine and in 1985 there was no upgradable RAM, but in 1986 it was plentiful. Shocking.

The iPhone isn't RAM upgradeable because of many things, one being that RAM sockets consume space - which the iPhone doesn't have, nor is a RAM upgrade needed for an appliance that will be replaced the following year.

There was no lack of space in the original 512k Macintosh.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 1, 2011, 11:04 PM

Anyway, I don't care either way if some of you decide to deify Steve Jobs and wish that he hadn't been ousted back in the 80s, but reality and I don't agree with you.

Good riddance of Steve Jobs from Apple in the 80s and in fact, his death notwithstanding, good riddance Steve Jobs from Apple now. Reading his biography, it was pretty clear he was a highly unstable person and not capable of sustaining a healthy business (e.g. due to petty vendetta, meaning to spend 40 billion dollars of Apple's cash just to get his revenge against Android and such idiocy)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Twilly Spree View Post
Wishful thinking. In fact the Mac was an expensive machine and in 1985 there was no upgradable RAM, but in 1986 it was plentiful. Shocking.

The iPhone isn't RAM upgradeable because of many things, one being that RAM sockets consume space - which the iPhone doesn't have, nor is a RAM upgrade needed for an appliance that will be replaced the following year.

There was no lack of space in the original 512k Macintosh.
No lack of space LOL I laugh at you sir

Mac 512kb those group of square things on the bottom half of the board was the ram. Had it been sockets half of the ram chips used would have been gone since in those days ram sockets looked like this

Socketed DIP's in those days where massive and took a lot of space.

Mac Plus was one of the very early computers to use 30 pin SIMMs

And of course it was a expensive machine. It had to be more powerful then other computers in order to run its GUI.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 2, 2011, 03:29 PM

No lack of space LOL I laugh at you sir
[/img]
The Macintosh was larger than that motherboard, and amazingly the Mac Plus with the same exact form factor offered not only expandable RAM (in that same "crampy" space) but also SCSI to add peripherals.

And of course it was a expensive machine. It had to be more powerful then other computers in order to run its GUI.
The Atari ST in 1985 was half the price, same power, same CPU/RAM (sans monitor). I see no evidence that "of course" it had to be 2500 dollars and still so limited and locked down.

In fact the ST was so similar one could buy the Mac ROM on a cartridge and bingo: your ST was now a Mac.

Either way, that's the Apple tax, nothing new. Just goes to show, Steve Jobs had it wrong from the beginning and Sculley had it right.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twilly Spree View Post
Either way, that's the Apple tax, nothing new. Just goes to show, Steve Jobs had it wrong from the beginning and Sculley had it right.
Considering the past 25 years of Apple history, that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board, outside of the PWL.

I feel poorer of wit for having read it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Considering the past 25 years of Apple history, that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board, outside of the PWL.

...and may God have mercy on his soul.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 04:45 PM

Heh Mac Plus vs AMD 4800+

86 Mac Plus Vs. 07 AMD DualCore. You Won't Believe Who Wins

Its actually worth reading.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 7, 2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

There's no way a person can drop below 0 IQ, so I'm gonna call bull on that claim.

andi*pandi
Nov 8, 2011, 10:46 AM

This sunday's Foxtrot, delayed no doubt due to doing strips ahead of time:

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2011, 07:00 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules