Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 still not stable enough...

10.2 still not stable enough...
Thanar
Sep 7, 2002, 08:22 PM

Today I upgraded to OS X 10.2. It is a great leap forward, undoubtely. However, I still thing it lacks big time in matter of stability when dealing with openGL applications.

I was having problems (kernel panicks, complete hangs) with 10.1.x when playing certain games, such as Myth 3 and Sacrifice, which I both love. I decided to give em another try under 10.2. No luck.

Myth 3 stops responding for a few seconds every now and then, after 2 hours of play I had a kp. With sacrifice, everything seemed to work fine, until the system hung completely.

I'm on a G4/733 with nVidia graphics. I've been told be experts that there are still issues with the nVidia drivers. Any news on when this problem will be fixed?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2002, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Thanar:
Today I upgraded to OS X 10.2. It is a great leap forward, undoubtely. However, I still thing it lacks big time in matter of stability when dealing with openGL applications.

I was having problems (kernel panicks, complete hangs) with 10.1.x when playing certain games, such as Myth 3 and Sacrifice, which I both love. I decided to give em another try under 10.2. No luck.

Myth 3 stops responding for a few seconds every now and then, after 2 hours of play I had a kp. With sacrifice, everything seemed to work fine, until the system hung completely.

I'm on a G4/733 with nVidia graphics. I've been told be experts that there are still issues with the nVidia drivers. Any news on when this problem will be fixed?
Did you reinstall these games when you loaded Jaguar (10.2)?

Thanar  (op)
Sep 8, 2002, 04:42 PM

Of course I did! Both of them! I was using a more recent beta build of Myth 3. When I reverted to the original, the situation was a lot better, but still after a 6-hours game I had a kp after a long, long time!

I thing Apple were saying that OS X would be a great gaming platform. Where is it? OpenGL suck big time, for nVidia owners, at least!

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Thanar:
Of course I did! Both of them! I was using a more recent beta build of Myth 3. When I reverted to the original, the situation was a lot better, but still after a 6-hours game I had a kp after a long, long time!

I thing Apple were saying that OS X would be a great gaming platform. Where is it? OpenGL suck big time, for nVidia owners, at least!
Your best option is to wait for 10.2.1 update which includes updated video drivers and updated openGL drivers.

Cross your fingers. Hopefully this will fix your problems. If it does not,
sends the KP info to Apple so that they are aware of the issue.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2002, 05:13 PM

Myth 3 is such a POS of a app their is just no hope. I feel your pain as I bought it too, but with the developers gone don't hold your breath for a patch.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Thanar  (op)
Sep 8, 2002, 05:59 PM

As a matter of fact, there is a new build out, but wont work under 10.2. It has been pulled due to the fact. As soon as at least ONE person is working on Myth3, we will get out update. Eventually.

Anyway, if OS X and the drivers where OK, it would never hang the syetem of produce KPs. It would just quit. Plus; I believe much of the speed diferrence seen in games between OS X and OS 9 is caused by those damned badly written drivers.

Is there going to be an update for OpenGL software in 10.2.1? Was there one in 10.2?

[osX]RTouris
Sep 8, 2002, 09:33 PM

Rumour has it that 10.2.1 comes with updated nVidia drivers...(the question here lies to whether those have been updated for compatibility and speed accross the nVidia GPUs range not just the current flagship [aka GeForce 4Ti] or not). Personally I believe not. It seems to me that a .1 revision is a rather small development step forward and such issues should have been already addressed by the time 10.2 went out the door to the public. We shall see however, nVidia might have an ace up their sleeves for us GeForce 2MX users afterall. Can I also point out this thread over @ Xlr8yourmac.com which discusses more or less the same issue.

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000781.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules