Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Non-Apple brand DVD-R media

Non-Apple brand DVD-R media
ReefHobbyist
Sep 6, 2002, 06:03 PM

Has anyone used non-apple brand DVD-R media with iDVD and a superdrive? I am looking for lower cost media for creating some home movies to give away at Christmas.

What specs do I look for? I know they are 4.7GB General Use, but I see other specs on some brands like v2.0 and 2X speed, etc. What is compatible with iDVD and the superdrive?

Thanks,
Scott

macfool2002
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 12:06 PM

I came here to post this very same question. I have a 933 with a superdrive and we need to purchase a large quantity of DVD-R's for some internal training videos. What other brands are there out there that'll work with the superdrive and be viewable on a consumer DVD player?

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 9, 2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by macfool2002:
I came here to post this very same question. I have a 933 with a superdrive and we need to purchase a large quantity of DVD-R's for some internal training videos. What other brands are there out there that'll work with the superdrive and be viewable on a consumer DVD player?

The cheaper media can be a hit or miss proposition. It also can burn at 1x instead of 2x so it can be twice as slow. I have personally found that Meritline's DVD-R's (and DVD-RW's too) have worked with people's players when I gave them these discs. They also now have what they call quality 2x's media which I haven't tried.

It really comes down to the Player/media compatibility. Some discs work in some players and not in other players and the reverse is true of the media too.

DV Mag (DV.com) did an extensive test of DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD+RW's and found a whole lotta of inconsistencies and cam to the conclusion that Apple's brand media was the best quality/compitibility/value of all the brands.

The best thing to do is to send a sample DVD around to friends and family to test a particular media in a particular brand of machine. I know this can be a pain in the neack but it is the only way to know for sure unless they have the same player as you do.

I hope this helps.

-Jerry
C.
meritline

warnergt
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 01:53 PM

I bought a pack of DVD-R media from Shop4Tech. At about $1.50 per disk, it is a steal. I've been making DVDs for friends and family. They all seem to work fine.

See:
http://www.shop4tech.com/cgi-bin/sho...VD-R%20Branded

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 03:40 PM

Internal training videos? I smell Quicktime Streaming Server.....

just an off-topic thought.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

macfool2002
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 03:50 PM

Yeah, I wish I could export these as quicktime. I already tried to talk some common sense into my management and they said no. Dang windows monopoly here at my company. At least our creative dept gets macs! Everyone else has a PC that is tightly governed by our MIS dept. All 300 of our PC's have windows media player already installed and the users can't install any new hard/software without MIS approval. they don't want to put quicktime on their cuz blah blah blah. There's no reasoning with them.

Anyways, I am exporting the videos as WMV for viewing online and to DVD so the new employees can take them home if they want. Sounds impressive.

warnergt
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 10:25 PM

I get the same crap. Our MIS is switching all of our intranet websites to software that REQUIRES Internet Explorer 6.0. If they detect an incorrect browser version, you are automatically sent to a download page that only provides a Windows version of IE. Is that BS or what? This Microsoft monopoly is still effin' taking over. Even the Justice Department can't stop these guys.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by warnergt:
I This Microsoft monopoly is still effin' taking over. Even the Justice Department can't stop these guys.
About the only thing to stop MS ... users making different choices.

So far, the DVD media I trust comes from Apple.

Has anyone tried to double-sided DVDs??
http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/94dvgenpurdo.html

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2002, 07:50 PM

I've burned using Memorex DVD-R. Results are like using Apple DVD-R. however, I bought these retail b/c I needed 'em quick. About $60 for a 10-pack, so buy online if you don't want to get ripped off like I did.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Sep 14, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by VRL:

Has anyone tried to double-sided DVDs??
http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/94dvgenpurdo.html
yeah, I bought one and burned one side, and it works great, and a good deal for the storage (I burned some quicktime movies and stuff). I'm still waiting to build up another 4.4 GB of similar movies to burn the other side, but I've read the one side a couple of times now.

The only thing I don't like about them is you can't write on the surface (at least I wouldn't), so unless you keep it in a case with a label, you don't really know what's on it
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules