Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > compatible printers

compatible printers
abbie1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 10:57 PM

hey everyone i'm going to be buying a printer and i just wanted to know which inkjet printers are compatible with OS X.2?

thanks for the help/

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by abbie1:
hey everyone i'm going to be buying a printer and i just wanted to know which inkjet printers are compatible with OS X.2?

thanks for the help/
I would recommend the HP 5550. This printer will provide you with very good photo output as well as excellent text and graphics. If you want the best photo output you will need to buy an additional cartridge that contains light magenta, light cyan and a dye based black. This is cartridge 58. The printer comes with cartridge 57 and 56 and it will be 56 that you will need to replace with 58 for photos. The printer cost $150.

abbie1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2002, 01:09 AM

thanks mate, i will keep an eye out tomorrow.. damn compusa, hope they wont be a prob this time around

VRL
Senior User
Sep 22, 2002, 05:25 AM

Thanks to Gimp-Print (Ghostscript), a whole lot of printers are compatible! (Maybe get an older printer and save a few bucks )

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Or check out the product guide at Apple:

http://guide.apple.com/

niji
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2002, 05:30 AM

thnx to the (finally) released drivers for 10.2x, the Hp All in Ones (like the old work horse G85; the great PSC 950; and the D145 are all now very happily useable!
if you dont want an AIO, then go for the HP 990.

OreoCookie
Sep 22, 2002, 06:16 AM

I'd recommend Canon. I've had four HP printers, but the one from Canon is the best so far (S630). The S530 would get my best-buy badge (I think the S550 has been released).

The ink is cheap, the print quality is very good (for text, presentations and occasional photos). If you print a lot of photos, take a look at the S900. I has surpassed the Epsons as far as photo quality is concerned.

The reason why I switched was the cheap ink: my parents have spent �1,200 on ink for their G85. I have spent half for about the same consumption (I have printed less pages, but ones with more color -- presentations need more ink than plain letters). You can change each color separately, instead of being forced to change the color cartridge when one color is empty (in my case it's always yellow).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cipher13
Sep 22, 2002, 06:24 AM

I'm an Epson person, but the Canon S900 is an incredible printer. The borderless photo prints (with photo ink and paper) are stunning.

I haven't tried that printer with 10.2 though, it's on the XP box.

On the iMac (shared to the G4 and the iBook) is an Epson 860, which works flawlessly.

abbie1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2002, 11:29 PM

hey everyone i bought me the canon s750, not a bad printer for the price, but now what i would like to know and see if its possible is. I have two computers my main one is running OS X.2 (which the printer is connected to) and the other one is an old iMac running 9.2.

i was wondering how can i printer from the iMac if the printer is connected to my dual gig?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules