Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I have NO problems with 10.2.1. Am I really the only one here?

I have NO problems with 10.2.1. Am I really the only one here?
Prijker
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 12:47 PM

Jesus!
so many people claiming their Mac doesn't work the way they want!

I don't understand. I have no special trouble with mine. Only little things, like the fact that Explorer sucks! Not really Apple's fault...

Most of the time, 99% of the problems are insignificant or useless.

So why is everyone here complaining and crying about his Mac?

Are we people doing Wintel machines? Are we dummy?

Vic

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Prijker:
Jesus!

I don't understand. I have no special trouble with mine. Only little things, like the fact that Explorer sucks! Not really Apple's fault...

Vic
I haven't had any problems either, beyond very minor things. BUT remember, this is a forum for a discussion of Mac OS X issues so that's what we get.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 27, 2002, 01:12 PM

No problems here except the FTP in the Finder thing not working properly.

ANd I am running it on one of those old outdated 350mhz G3s

jwblase
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 01:13 PM

I have no problems. I actually love all the enhancements that 10.2 offers. I'm on my B/W G3, and I don't really have a reason to upgrade anytime soon.

I suppose I will when something motivates me, but for right now, nothing is.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 01:21 PM

10.2.1 running fine here. Some weird oddities here and tehre, but nothing that stops me from getting work done.

macmike42
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 01:30 PM

No problems here either, except I tried to use Finder FTP once. Kinda neat how every app on my system hung one after another, starting with Finder and followed by loginwindow. If I hadn't disabled SSH, I wouldn't have had to restart, oh well. I like ncftp better anyway
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

wwwkianoushcom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2002, 01:38 PM

NOPE!

Jay Bee
Sep 27, 2002, 01:44 PM

No problems here Prijker!
10.2.1 Shines on my Power Mac..........Best OS I ever used and getting better all the time!

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 01:56 PM

I have only had minor, transition bugs - like waiting for FINK to get updated for 10.2 (actually, that's hardly a bug, just transition pangs) and having to recompile a few GNU apps. Otherwise, 10.2.1 has been superb on my rev.b 667Mhz G4 Powerbook.

Oh, except BBEdit 6.5.3 won't print to network printers (over AppleTalk or IP) everything else does, just not BBEdit
"No footprints when we're gone. Only where we've been, a faint and fading glow" Bruce Cockburn

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 02:00 PM

Yep, 10.2.1 is fine by me. Jaguar rocks. It's getting a lot of favorable press from sources that have been very critical of the Mac OS in the past.

I am sure that many people really are having the problems they report, and it sucks to be them. But the rest of us are pretty stoked. :-)

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast

Originally posted by Prijker:
Jesus!

Vic

I have no trouble with my mac, but from time to time, I have had issues. But as pointed out, this is a forum where folks tend to write when they are in need of support or just want to blow off steam. Having worked as an IT professional with windows and unix system for many years, I am so very happy to be able to sit down with a good looking and nearly troublefree system once in a while...

Sophus

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie

I think if a PC user came to this forum, they would think that OS X is crap, but for the most part, it runs very well, even on old hardward (as long as you keep it basic)

The only issue I have is FTP and naturally speed...

I'm also starting to recognize more and more iApp design "flaws". Shouldn't they all act the same?

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 02:05 PM

My TiBook is simply the best computer I have ever owned, and with 10.2 and now 10.2.1 the experience has gotten even better.

Chalk up another winner for Apple, no other operating system even comes close in terms of an overall package.

Bacchus
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Dr_Doom
Sep 27, 2002, 02:14 PM

I been having no major issues whatsoever since I upgraded to 10.2 on my PB G$. Favorite feature as a pseudo-switcher : mmmm printer sharing.
Everyday more *nix apps build with ease on Darwin. I really haven't found anything that warrants a complaint/whining.

--Dr_Doom

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 02:24 PM

So far so good, just installed 10.2.1 on an old G4/400 last night. I was one of the holdouts because 10.1.5 was working fine for me.

Granted, I've spent about C$450 in the last 2 months upgrading the memory (1 Gig woohoo!), CDRW and video card in order to have this thing last a little while longer. I figure if I can save enough I'll be in the market for a new Mac next summer.

There's a wake from sleep display bugaboo with the flashed Radeon, but I have some ideas on how to fix that.

I haven't installed any of my heavy 3D apps like Maya, so who knows?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Hilzoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2002, 04:10 PM

No problems here either...

melanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by bacchus:
My TiBook is simply the best computer I have ever owned, and with 10.2 and now 10.2.1 the experience has gotten even better.

Chalk up another winner for Apple, no other operating system even comes close in terms of an overall package.

Bacchus
I have the same confiq as you except for more ram.(1gig apple spec)and I am having a freeze issue mostly in dreamweaver mx. I froze alot on the first attempt to load 10.2 (see constant freezes thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...1&goto=newpost)I reformatted and did it again. I was freeze free until about an hour ago and have locked up four times since all in dreamweaver mx, but then again that is all i have been using this afternoon.
I have noticed a big speed difference and I love the new networking setup. I can see all the win2k drives on the network now instead of the one set up for macs. I love my tibook too. If my house were on fire I would grab the cat and the tibook and a bag of marshmellows.
melanie
melanie

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2002, 04:59 PM

I find 10.2.1 completely usable even though certain elements can be slow and frustrating at times.

If I were a professional (making a living on my Mac) I�d still be using OS 9.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 05:26 PM

For my purposes, it is the best version of the mac os that I have ever used. Period.

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 05:34 PM

NO problems, i hate all those damn whiners that think they represent the entire user base.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2002, 05:35 PM

Yet another error-free� day for me. Not a single problem with 10.2 that wasn't operator-induced.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 06:44 PM

Far as I know, it's been working great for me as well

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 06:49 PM

People are simply more likely to post when there's a problem, than when there is not.

I mean, by posting a problem you may be able to gain valuable information in solving it. But if you have no problem, there is no inherant benefit of posting.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 06:50 PM

I believe this has already been discussed.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2002, 06:51 PM

I L O V E O S X

I have to say OS 9 was better than any WIndows OS. But OS X is better than OS 9, sliced bread, Hot Rods, Food, Sex....

Ok, I'm getting carried away now.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 06:55 PM

"I believe this has already been discussed."

There is no harm is reiterating feel good / optimism.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2002, 07:10 PM

Repetition is good for the brain.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by bacchus:
Totally agree. I love this Tibook.

I had a problem of consistent kernel panics immediately after updating to 10.2.1....but I traced this to a bad memory module. Once that was replaced, things are rock solid again.

Except for hardware issues like that, I really don't have any trouble with OS X other than very minor issues.

Lew
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 08:01 PM

I've only had a couple of minor niggles* but in general each update makes me happier to have switched

* FTP in the Finder and 10.2 not being able to recover from 'sudo shutdown now'

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 08:40 PM

I like 10.2.1. So does my iBook. All is well, and the world is at peace.

Buck_W
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 08:55 PM

I upgraded to 10.2 from 9.2 and could not be any more pleased! I've had no problems other than the extra "ghost" attachments that show up whenever I send an attachment to a PC user using the mail app.

Thumbs up to 10.2.1
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 08:55 PM

Nope!

No problems here either...

I have been running 10.2.1 myself, and have seen NONE of the problems people here seem to be having on a regular basis. 867 MHz QuickSilver with a Maxtor drive that decided to start dying on me after 10.2.1 installed... bought a new hard drive and even used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the installation... didn't lose a single file, no permissions were messed up, and I haven't had a problem since... actually, I haven't had to reinstall 10.2 since installing it in the first place.

esc
Sep 27, 2002, 08:58 PM

no probems here (cube, Ti 667, 2x1GHz G4 and 667 Ti Powerbook)

I think people get distorted views as most folks only post when there are problems

k2director
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 09:20 PM

3 legit problems:

1) There's a bug in Jag that spins down a Ti's hard drive after 30 seconds of inactivity, but only if you're on battery power (and no, it's not an energy prefs issue). It's incredibly annoying.

2) Jag broke a feature in Final Cut, which let you do voice narrations with a Ti DVI's internal microphone. It works fine on iBooks, but not on Ti DVIs.

3) When you sleep a Ti without disconnecting network servers, iDisk, etc., the Finder will often hang when you try to wake up in another location, without those volumes online.

#1 truly bugs me. 2-3 I can easily live with for a while. Other than that, it's been problem-free.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2002, 09:22 PM

Only minor issues I have with 10.2.1 nothing worth a tantrum...

Except the rediculously lame unicode support. Grrr.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 09:32 PM

My only complaint with 10.2.1 is that it DIDN'T fix the problem I've had printing from InDesign since upgrading to 10.2...

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 10:27 PM

No problems here either!
tom

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 11:27 PM

not a problem for me either...but then i didn't have any serious problems with 10.1.x either....sometimes i wonder what all these people with troubles are doing?

and yeah, this is yet another duplicate thread....when will the search feature work again so i can berate the people that don't look before posting?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 11:39 PM

No problems with 4 machines here...didn't have too many problems under 10.1.x, but even smoother sailing under 10.2!

jarinteractive
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 11:57 PM

10.2.1 is great here on my TiBook and my B&W G3. The only thing that bothers me is screenshots being PDFs instead of TIFFs. I love Mac OS X!

-JARinteractive

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2002, 12:05 AM

No problems on my G4/400 AGP, which I just sold, and no problems on my new 17" iMac, or my iBook!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2002, 01:42 AM

I have had no problems with the Jaguar OS. In fact, it's the best operating system I have ever used! Apple really did a nice job bringing life back to the Macintosh Platform!
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

cms
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 02:20 AM

I feel compelled to add my 2 cents' worth and say that I too have no major issues with 10.2.1. I'm running it on 3 networked machines at home and am responsible for maintaining half-a-dozen Mac-based mini-networks for small business users near where I live. Almost all problems, minor or otherwise, can be traced to "user error".

Thinking about this issue a little bit more, if I were to lay my hand on my heart and tell the absolute honest truth, I'd have to agree with an earlier poster who made reference to the amazing speed and snappiness of OS 9 --something that is still (sadly) missing in Jaguar.

However, I'd have to then ask myself if it is better to have an operating system that is a little slow off the mark but is rock-solid and (almost) never crashes, than one that goes like stink but crashed (almost) daily?

VRL
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 06:34 AM

No problems here either. Picked up a Family Pack (worked out to an upgrade of $50 each for four computers) and have had no problems. I work on the computers all day every day, with an occasional two-player Brood War (execution) game for fun.

And thanks to Vuescan and Gimp Print (free) I can even use older hardware with X, even though third-party developers don't offer support.

Apple is doing a phenomenal job. I'm very happy with the direction they are moving

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 28, 2002, 10:01 AM

I too must affirm my impression with Jaguar is nothing short of wonderful. No problems whatsoever. I cant wait to see how Apple handles the next update. Everything in place now has my machine running seamlessly with all my perepherals and no shortcomings. Just the occasional CPU hogging app but back to the OS, MANIFIQUE!!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2002, 11:40 PM

Nope. No problems with Jag here, either. Just an occasional problem with an individual app (Word, for one), but nothing that keeps me from having a great session with my favorite machine...

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by jarinteractive:
10.2.1 is great here on my TiBook and my B&W G3. The only thing that bothers me is screenshots being PDFs instead of TIFFs. I love Mac OS X!

-JARinteractive

Just export it to whatever the hell you want after you open it with Preview....

Forum Links
Forum Rules